Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM

98 posts, read 122,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Besides, you have people in their 30's and up in this forum that still think it's freaking art. They'll supply the little POSs with all the ammo they need.
They just need to put out a bounty on them and it doesn't even have to be much. I'll do it for 25 cents per head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
We are not here to debate what is art and what isn't. What is being discussed is the crime of distruction of property. Two totally different topics.
Really?! Tell it to rd2007. This isn't the first post where he makes these remarks. I just responded in kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
I have lived in almost every major city in Texas and have never before come across so much.
This is OP's original statement, I asked if she had seen El Paso and Houston?

El paso and Houston are major cities in Texas...wether E P or H-town are third world has nothing to do with OP's statement.

I travel Texas for work and Parts of Laredo, and Houston are bad, and El Paso Has a huge problem.

I dont hang out in Alamo Ranch, I dont know how bad the graffitti is there, but I am up and down in San Antonio weekly; from Lackland to Seguin, and from Spring branch to floresville...There is not a huge graffitti problem.

Graffitti is an unfortunate part of living in a modren society, like wild dogs and traffic.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
While the art may look like a hot mess to you, to others it's a beautiful work.
...and I agree. I'm all for legal graffiti walls (and regularly used them in school projects back in architecture school); my point is only that sometimes the artistic nature is used to excuse the illegal. I, myself, am torn over some of the elaborate graffiti I've seen on abandoned barns in Europe and over some of Banksy's wit - I know that some (or most) of it is illegal, yet it is so good. But if it were my barn... I don't know. As with all art, I feel that sometimes graffiti artists don't see the beauty of a blank wall that has aged over time.

I think we can all agree that tagging is not a good thing.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,271 times
Quote:
Really?! Tell it to rd2007. This isn't the first post where he makes these remarks. I just responded in kind.
Li'l Bit,

I think you are missing my point. It could be the freaking Mona Lisa of graffitti but if it is on property where the "artist" didn't ask permission, it is illegal. Which makes the "artist" who create them, "criminals". Debating the quality of the illegal activity is pointless.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:08 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
all these "art" lovers need to donate their freaking houses and fences to the trash that does this. You can appreciate it all you want, just leave the other 99.999% of us out of it. It's ugly and it makes the city look like even more of a third world country. The people that do this are criminals and they deserve punishment.

BTW, if you have to argue with almost everyone, you're the extreme minority, which makes you an extremist.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Unfortunately, I think churches are fast becoming acceptable targets as well.
Church's??? Alright, they've gone too far now!

Somebody throw a chicken wing at 'em next time you see 'em tagging the Church's.

Where is the decency?!?!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
You will find vandals EVERYWHERE. I grew up in a town with less than 10,000 and we still had graffiti. The important thing for law enforcement to do is pursue these acts of vandalism as a crime. Too often they are seen as petty crimes and overlooked. This feeds into the vandals sense that he is not doing anything wrong and nobody really cares.

By making an example of those that we catch (fines, community service, and I am all for a few days in jail!) we will send a message to anyone that may be considering this act of vandalism. It is not just a harmless expression of a rebellious youth.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
By making an example of those that we catch (fines, community service, and I am all for a few days in jail!) we will send a message to anyone that may be considering this act of vandalism. It is not just a harmless expression of a rebellious youth.
Exactly,
as long as they are not punished, they are going to keep on doing it

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I think we can get some advice from Singapore as far as the proper punishment

something definitely needs to happen. I think we had a tiny bit of it in the parts of the country I grew up in during the 70's and 80's, but it was the seriously ghetto sections of town where nobody wanted to be. There were probably about 5 idiots at most that did it and I'm sure they each grew up to be miserable failures. That's what that type of culture breeds.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM

98 posts, read 122,847 times
Quote:
While I agree that, when unwanted, spray painting on someone's property is completely unacceptable. If Jesse Trevino or Judith Baca were to paint on Rothko's "blank" canvas, it would be just as much vandalism as if the local tagger messed with it. However, grafitti art is a legitimate art form, but there are some here who have decided that THEY should be the persons to determine what is art and what isn't. Real works of art take time and effort to create and are generally not done clandestinely. A true artist is not going to create something only to have it removed because it's illegally placed. People just need to get it through their heads that there is a difference between tagging and grafitti art. While the art may look like a hot mess to you, to others it's a beautiful work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
Li'l Bit,

I think you are missing my point. It could be the freaking Mona Lisa of graffitti but if it is on property where the "artist" didn't ask permission, it is illegal. Which makes the "artist" who create them, "criminals". Debating the quality of the illegal activity is pointless.
Did I not say this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio