Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM

260 posts, read 573,226 times

Advertisements

I need a power of attorney. I was thinking of having my sister be my power of attorney. The only problem is that I'm disable and bedridden. Since I can't go to a lawyer, what other recourse do I have. Need some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Have the lawyer come to you?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:35 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,188 times
I'm pretty sure you don't need an attorney to do this. You can find POA forms online. All you need to do is fill it out and have a notary witness your signature. My husband & I assigned a temporary POA to my in-laws at one time while our children were in their care and we were out of town.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Doesn't it need to be file in the courthouse?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
Doesn't it need to be file in the courthouse?
Blue,

No, it doesn't have to be filed at any courthouse. Just had one done for my father... we went to the attorney's office, told him what we needed and it was printed up within 30 minutes. He then had three witnesses witness my father signing it (on every page), the witnesses signed the last page and it was then notarized on the last page... done deal. It's a good idea to keep the original in a safety deposit box at the bank and just keep a copy around for you and one for your sister.

While this was done for us quick and easy and with minimal expense at the attorney's office, there are attorneys that will write it up for you and send it to you, I'm sure, if you'll call and ask... or as suggested above, perhaps you can get a standardized form off the net that will suffice. Also, be sure to get one that includes a medical power of attorney in it as well; otherwise, you'll need a separate one for medical.

One thing we did find out afterwards (at the bank) is that this power of attorney is only good until midnight of the day one passes... it does NOT give the person holding the power of attorney access to the deceased person's bank accounts after that day! The only way to avoid the accounts being frozen is to add the person you've made your power of attorney as a secondary person on all of your bank accounts.

Hope this helps and best to ya!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Yes, the POA should be specific as to what you want the person to be in charge of, the more the better. If you want them to be in charge of everything, then put that. Medical, financial, so on. make several copies for bank, and wherever else would be important needed. Doctor, Hospital, so on.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks for all your answers.
One more question. It is/should be recognize by a bank,check cashing place and so on. Right!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,585 times
Yes, it should!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio