Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times

Advertisements

We go to the office of Dr. Michael Ozer. I believe the practice is called 'Pediatric Medicine, PA' nothing more specific than that. Other docs in the practice are Drs. Ross & Rocha-Davis...another but I've never seen that one. Also there's an NP we often see. Though Ozer is our official doc, we rarely see him because he's always travelling! We've been very happy with the others. Dr. Jaime Hyslop used to also practice there and I loved him, but he left.

My priority was someone who was breastfeeding friendly and not prone to give antibiotics for every little thing, focusing more on letting the immune system do its job.

However, I am a stickler for vaccinations (provided there is no medical complications against them). I do know that Dr Ozer has a lot of clients who are um, not as vaccine oriented as I, and he's had no problem (he was recommended to me by a number of people, including some homebirth groups).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Mary Helen Perez @ Children's First Pediatrics on Cinnamon Creek. She's been my kids' pedi since they were born. Phone # is 641-5437.
Hey, wow, forgot all about her. She was my son's first pedi (he is 16 now)...

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 PM

67 posts, read 274,905 times
Another vote for NE Pediatrics. We love Dr. Pauli.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 PM

Dr. Diane McMains on San Pedro and Dr. Jennifer Reynard are 2 I've heard of that are breastfeeding friendly (extended BF as well) and no-vax or delayed vax friendly.

Jennifer Reynard used to be in Stone Oak and is now downtown. I am trying to get an appointment with her for my kids but she's only there 3x a week or something like that.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,050 times
Smile no-vax pediatricians? do they exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Dr. Diane McMains on San Pedro and Dr. Jennifer Reynard are 2 I've heard of that are breastfeeding friendly (extended BF as well) and no-vax or delayed vax friendly.

Jennifer Reynard used to be in Stone Oak and is now downtown. I am trying to get an appointment with her for my kids but she's only there 3x a week or something like that.
My pediatrician just "fired" us because we want to hold off on vaccines for a while.. he said we either follow the CDC's guidelines or he won't see us. We did all vaccines for the first 12 months but I believe we are overvaccinating our kids and want to hold off until she is about 4 for the rest of the list of vaccines they want to administer. I don't want to get on a soapbox about that, I just want to find a pediatrician that will see us for well visits (daughter is 18 months now) as needed and of course when she is sick without forcing the government's vaccination schedule.

SO! My question is... does anyone have personal knowledge that their pediatrician doesn't force the CDC vaccination schedule in order for your child to be their patient? We need a new pediatrician and that caveat is very important to us.

THANKS!!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Smile Dr. Diane McMains or Dr. Michael Ozer?

I found, from another site, a few names and have narrowed it down to 2 different pediatricians; does anyone have personal experience with either of these 2 doctors?

Dr. Diane McMains (Pediatric Associates) - 14811 San Pedro Ave
Dr. Michael Ozer - 7922 Ewing Halsell Dr

Thanks for your help on this.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Dr. McMains is a SWEETHEART!! She's a kindly grandma type lady. She was my granddaughter's pediatrician for quite a while, and was very willing to let my daughter wait on vaccines. We took our little girls to her once, also. The only problem (other than distance for us) is that she's VERY WELL loved ~ which translates to VERY BUSY and sometimes hard to get an appointment with.

I also know of a family practice doctor who is open about vaccines. I know that you're looking for a pediatrician, but send me a dm if you'd like her contact info.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Dr. McMains is a SWEETHEART!! She's a kindly grandma type lady. She was my granddaughter's pediatrician for quite a while, and was very willing to let my daughter wait on vaccines. We took our little girls to her once, also. The only problem (other than distance for us) is that she's VERY WELL loved ~ which translates to VERY BUSY and sometimes hard to get an appointment with.

I also know of a family practice doctor who is open about vaccines. I know that you're looking for a pediatrician, but send me a dm if you'd like her contact info.
That's just the kind of info I was looking for, thank you!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM

Just wanted to share for the benefit of others:

I mentioned Dr. Jennifer Reynard earlier in this thread. At the time she was downtown.. now she's at South Texas Pediatrics on Southcross.

Anyway, we finally got over that way for checkup for my younger son. Dr. Reynard, at least based on my first impression of her, is awesome. Just awesome... and I'm kind of a doctor-hater, I hate to admit. I've had a lot of really negative experiences with pediatricians here in town.

She really involves you in your child's care as a partner in the decision making, she's very laid back, very friendly, and very personable, and completely lacking any "God complex" or air of superiority. I wish we'd found her years ago... sadly my eldest is too old (at 16) to be seen at that practice.

We had some vaccine issues (my oldest as well as my youngest had some severe and/or odd vaccine related reactions early on and the youngest, as a result, was "selectively" vaccinated from that point forward) and questions and she was absolutely non-judgmental, discussed things with me thoroughly, and treated me like an intelligent person worth having a discussion with (unlike many docs I've encountered who are patronizing or dismissive)... I know it was only one visit but so far I just adore her. My son thought she was pretty awesome too. Oh,and she didn't seem "rushed" even though I know they were busy that day. She never made us feel pressured to hurry up and ask our questions (another thing I've encountered with other docs)...

So,that's my initial impression, FWIW. She's pro breastfeeding, pro extended breastfeeding, and certainly willing to have vaccine related discussions with you in a rational, non-lecturing manner!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,644 times
I love, love, love Dr. Reynard. I was so disappointed that she wasn't at stone oak anymore; I'm glad you found her!
Fierce_flawless's description of her is perfect. One thing I'd like to add, she's not big on pumping kids full of drugs right away... She always asks what homeopathic things I've done first, what otc meds I've tried and what the reaction was. Very, very caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio