U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM

114,833 posts, read 62,132,871 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has had a mixed relationship with the railroad. Being a vital part of commerce here we must co-exist with it. But, too often trains and automobile traffic don't mix well. There are certain RR crossings which have seen more than their share of accidents. Either poor crossing signals or lack of visibility lead to accidents. More often it's probably a lack of serious consideration of what happens when train meets car. There's also train wrecks caused by bad tracks or faulty equipment. The train operator is sometimes at fault. Some trains are run remotely now days. Let's hear your accident stories. Your personal experiences of RR mishaps and the outcomes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM

266 posts, read 674,534 times
I have worked for the railroads for over 16 years and RR crossings accidents that i have knowledge of are almost always the falt of the car driver. be it because of ignorance or recklessness.

Treat crossings like you are crossing a busy street on foot. Look both ways, take it seriously and you will never have a problem. Also, don’t pull up as close as you can to the crossings when there is a train. trains do sometimes have things fall off the cars, or the have banding dragging on of them. They will slice you in half! Bottom line, respect the tracks.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 19,091,524 times
I was at the Rittiman road crossing by IH 35 one day. An 18 wheeler pulled up to the light and did not clear the tracks. The truck could not back up becasue of congestion, could not go forward becasue of the red light and traffic. The arms came down on the cab and the train ran right into the truck. I had pulled over and off to the side when I saw it coming. So did several other drivers. The dumb ass truck driver was not hurt, but the train did not stop for sometime...AFTER it hit the truck. People do not respect the tracks and think that the train will stop becasue there is a car blocking the right of way. Trains can't stop like a car. Almost every train/car crash I've seen in SA is becasue a car did not respect that a train, even at 20 miles an hour can't stop.
I see so many people stop on the tracks for a red light and just sit there waiting. I never go onto the tracks unless I know for sure that I will get all the way across them.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 PM

114,833 posts, read 62,132,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I was at the Rittiman road crossing by IH 35 one day. An 18 wheeler pulled up to the light and did not clear the tracks. The truck could not back up becasue of congestion, could not go forward becasue of the red light and traffic. The arms came down on the cab and the train ran right into the truck. I had pulled over and off to the side when I saw it coming. So did several other drivers. The dumb ass truck driver was not hurt, but the train did not stop for sometime...AFTER it hit the truck. People do not respect the tracks and think that the train will stop becasue there is a car blocking the right of way. Trains can't stop like a car. Almost every train/car crash I've seen in SA is becasue a car did not respect that a train, even at 20 miles an hour can't stop.
I see so many people stop on the tracks for a red light and just sit there waiting. I never go onto the tracks unless I know for sure that I will get all the way across them.
I was on S. Flores Street heading south many years back. Just passing the old Perry Shankle Bldg. when RR lights and bells went off. Man just in front of me stopped with the front of his car almost over the tracks. I watched as the train took off about 2 feet of the front end. Fortunately, he wasn't injured. But, another two or three feet!!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,346,415 times
I make sure I can clear the railroad tracks as well. That's one of my worst fears of driving. My boyfriend will push the limit sometimes and I threaten to get out of the car until he is passed them, because I don't think it's funny at all. You wanna be stupid, then let your own stupidity kill you not me. I'm sure some cars get mad because if I don't think there's enough room, I WON'T move.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,215,440 times
I also make sure I can clear the tracks. I'm amazed at the number of people who sit right on the tracks, waiting for a light to change or for traffic to move. Even more idiotic are those morons who go around the barriers when they're down. Sheesh!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,821,919 times
Does anyone recall when the train derailed near Wetmore and Thousand Oaks? I think there was some sort of chemical spill from one of the tanker cars and some of the neighborhoods north of the airport had to be evacuated.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 PM

431 posts, read 1,147,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Does anyone recall when the train derailed near Wetmore and Thousand Oaks? I think there was some sort of chemical spill from one of the tanker cars and some of the neighborhoods north of the airport had to be evacuated.
This event was on my mind as I clicked this thread.

I guess this was in the late 80s? Maybe 89 or 90?

I remember it happening because the bridge collapsed. My house at the time was right off Old Bitters near Blossom Athletic Center. I rode my bike all the way to the airport property and was amazed by the amount of smoke in the air.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM

284 posts, read 1,027,583 times
I moved to the NE side in 1989 and the accident happened before I moved. Some people were evacuated from their homes. Does anyone know what neighborhoods were evacuated?

Last edited by Snowglobe; 08-22-2008 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: correct grammar

Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 AM

993 posts, read 2,374,234 times
A sign near the Wetmore and Broadway railroad crossing said that is going to be closed from 6 March to 9 March. Does anyone have a link as to where I can find other information on railroad crossings being closed? Especially what time on 6 March. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio