Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:21 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times

Advertisements

I have many but I will start it off with going to the tracks on Halloween and going with buddies to walk down the tracks... Geez, it was crazy wierd. So much fun now that I think about it but without a vehicle and just walking listening to everything going on behind the bushes/trees. It was awesomely scary.

Now you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,077 times
My friend ran over a mattress on 151 and I was in the passenger seat. How she didn't see it and why there even was one in the middle of the freeway, I have no idea. But it was pretty scary.

I'll come up with something better later...

Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 AM

139 posts, read 363,667 times
I have not been in SA long enough to have anything super scary, but I do have one story so far that scared the *%#& outta me.
When we came down in June to house hunt, we were on I35N heading home to Kansas on a late Saturday afternoon. Traveling the usual 70-75 mph. A 16 wheeler with its trailer back door open pulled in front of us very fast and it swerved/fishtailed quite a bit. As we were remarking that the trailer was empty, one of those moving dollys came flying off the back of the truck, and hit the pavement right in front of our car!! It skidded into the other lane(s), where every vehicle luckily missed it! I do not know how?!?!?!?!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:58 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
Scariest moment? For me it was almost being crushed by the crowd at NIOSA! I was literally smushed between people and picked up with feet dangling and carried with the crowd for several feet! Had a bit of a panic attack.

That doesn't mean I have stopped going! Viva fiesta!

Oh...and I didn't spill my beer. heheh! TRUE San Antonian.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Dealing with the service roads by the highway, every day.

Is there a yield sign, are they going to yield, WTF there's nowhere to go and the car in the next lane won't move over, is everyone else on the road drunk or something?!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
I was driving downtown to meet my daughter's school group at the Institute of Texan Cultures when a pickup truck carrying a ladder passed me. As we rounded the curve just past the Josephine St. exit, the ladder came flying off the back of the truck and skidded into my lane. I swerved out of it's way, and thankfully, there was no one in the lane I went into, since I had no time to look! My guardian angels were riding with me that day.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 AM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
We were fairly new to San Antonio and not familiar with the roads or the way it rains here. My hubby and I were headed home, and it started to storm. I am driving on Culebra, the rain began falling so hard I could barely see. The right hand lane was pretty filled with water and a few cars, so I was struggling to drive slowly in the left. (no center turn lane in this area by Alamo Downs) Well, as if it weren't bad enough, a semi comes up in the opposite lane and send a long tidal wave of water over the car. I could see nothing for few seconds, and think I prayed every prayer I know in that time! When the wave passed, the rain let up just a little, and I was able to at least make out brake lights ahead of me to count on where I was headed. Both me and hubby were freaking out! We had seen heavy rains/storms in other places we've lived, but nothing like here in SA. For a few seconds, it was pretty terrifying. We had moved here during the drought, and kept laughing whenever we saw those warning signs about high water(turn around don't drown), and bridges over big dry gulches- what was all this for? Now we knew and we gained new respect for how heavy rains can be here!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I was driving downtown to meet my daughter's school group at the Institute of Texan Cultures when a pickup truck carrying a ladder passed me. As we rounded the curve just past the Josephine St. exit, the ladder came flying off the back of the truck and skidded into my lane. I swerved out of it's way, and thankfully, there was no one in the lane I went into, since I had no time to look! My guardian angels were riding with me that day.
My aunt ran into a metal ladder on the highway last year, (might have been the same one!). The frame of her car was bent...let's just say it was totaled. Thank God she was okay...

Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times
Rain, of course, One day about 4 to 6 years ago we had a flood here in SA so bad that the water that runs under the bridge at Bandera near Eckart and Mainland was threatening to jump the bridge, this water was moving violently and the rain just would not stop. I was driving down 151 and boy you could barely see 5 feet in front of you. I was driving very slow because people were literally stopped on the side of the road. I had to eventually take 90 to goesenbacher back down Potranco because of course the Potranco 1604 crossing was closed.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 PM

76 posts, read 270,736 times
My very scariest times have been on access roads when drivers have suddenly come to complete stops at yield signs. An acquaintance of mine was very nearly killed a couple of months ago when she was caught in a several-car pile-up in one of those situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio