U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,810,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
I have one in high school (11th), one in middle school (8th), and one in 4th grade.
Next year will be the year I will be having a hard time. One will be starting her Senior year, and one will be starting his Freshman year.
Ack...suddenly..I feel old.
Old............and wealthy. Those are the expensive years, trust me. I had one graduate in 2005. I've got my savings built back up so the 6th grader can bleed me dry next.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM

139 posts, read 339,053 times
I will admit I like to drool over the food & candy fundraisers.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,097 posts, read 35,410,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
Ohh, fundraisers are outlawed in my house. I would be glad to write a one time check, and nothave to see those large envelopes come home in the backpacks!
My kids' schools have something called Greenback Night. That's an open house where parents are expected to donate to the PTA, in lieu of fundraisers. The Bowie family always gives generously at Greenback Night, because we abhor fundraisers.

The first year my kid's elementary school held Greenback Night, they set the no-fundraisers goal absurdly high, so that the PTA mommy committees could still hold their fundraisers.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:48 PM

343 posts, read 1,228,908 times
Oh No!!!! Traffic Hell is BACK!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,195,791 times
ugh --- school cannot start soon enough for me --- the girls are bored out of their minds at this point and are driving themselves, eachother and me crazy ---

i am quite nervous for both of them as they are both starting new schools due to us moving --- still NISD, just new schools --- both girls are pretty excited, one is going into 1st and the other is going into 7th --- i pray the 7th grader makes some good friends, we all know how middle schoolers are, and girls especially ---

our drive to and from school is going to STINK! --- at least for the first 6 or 7 weeks of school --- i will be driving from 281/1604 to i-10/boerne stage rd and i-10/utsa blvd...talk about loads of money spent in gas ---

regarding fundraising, my middle school child's school told us on meet the teacher night that joining the PTA was their only fundraiser --- i found this hard to believe as at her old school there was atleast 3 fundraisers --- we'll see ---

good luck to all tomorrow morning!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:51 PM

905 posts, read 2,760,808 times
I have two headed back to new schools this fall, one to middle school and one to high school. My son is ready for school. He went to PREP at UTSA, so having a couple of weeks off has been plenty. My daughter, on the other hand, still wants to sleep in and goof off!

Lets just say there's a sure bet one of them will have a 'rude' awakening tomorrow morning!

I'm carpooling for middle school, but I've got the afternoon pick up to worry with. mrstxcop, if you can get into a carpool situation, it may help out in the long run.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 PM

47 posts, read 142,754 times
My little one starts Kindergarten tomorrow!! I am so worried for him. He says he is scared because kids might be mean. Sad reality is, kids WILL be mean and he just has to be his normal awesome self. Not a fun thing to teach a five year old. I will be BAWLING all day tomorrow!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,810,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonLakeMom View Post
My little one starts Kindergarten tomorrow!! I am so worried for him. He says he is scared because kids might be mean. Sad reality is, kids WILL be mean and he just has to be his normal awesome self. Not a fun thing to teach a five year old. I will be BAWLING all day tomorrow!
Don't let him see you cry or it's "Game Over".

Once you leave, he's going to be just fine, and he will be so happy to see you at the end of the day so he can tell you all about it. Take pictures!!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:07 PM

796 posts, read 2,868,691 times
I am so excited and yet so sad that my youngest daughter will be starting kinder tomorrow. At least she will have one of her sisters with her (4th grade). I will have a daughter in middle school (7th grade), and my oldest starts high school (9th grade). I thought I had everything ready for school early, school clothes and supplies were over with since the first week of this month. Then today, when I was at HEB, it hit me, I forgot to buy the lunch food and snacks.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,676,930 times
This year our youngest starts high school so me and hubby are feeling twinges of sadness and pride- both our girls are in high school now! I can remember when the youngest started kindergarten, the teacher handed out a parent care package. It was a tea bag, some cookies, kleenex, and a note she wrote saying how much we had to look forward to and to celebrate the day. I think I need another care package for tomorrow. Anyway- I start back to school shopping as soon as I see Walmart put things on the shelf, so we have been ready supply wise. We have done the orientations, physicals, clothes and shoe shopping- we are all set. I am sure we will have more things to get though- as we always get the teachers that send their own individual school supply requests after they start, but we should be ok. Now if I can get them to go to sleep earlier, that's the biggest challenge. They will lay there stewing about the next day, like I guess all kids do to some extent, and will complain they can't sleep, etc.

Here's wishing all the kids and parents a great start to the new school year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio