U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
 
14,637 posts, read 32,819,738 times
Reputation: 6683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
You're right, you can take a picture tomorrow but it just isn't the same (maybe that's a mommy thing). But do still take the picture tomorrow.

I really need to get my mind on something else today .
Glad I can cry in my beer with you! You and the other moms get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Just finished 3 HOURS of filling out all the necessary "forms" that the teachers sent home today!!! Ugh!!!
We got them at orientation so I could fill them out at my leisure. It was very nice of them......I'm so worn out tonight I sure don't want to have to think about which hospital I want him sent to, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinSA View Post
my sentiments exactly, though this nest IS empty and will remain on the no vacancy list!!
I had a boomerang kid, tossed him out and back he came a year later.
I was secretly glad though, I missed him. So don't turn on the no vacancy light just yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 PM
djw
 
951 posts, read 2,673,934 times
Reputation: 455
***rant****
ARGH

WHY do the teachers require those stupid folders with pockets AND brads that NO store ever seems to stock enough of??? One year, I tried ordering some online only to be sent a case of the wrong thing (picture was misidentified online). This year, I thought I'd get a head start, but didn't find ANY at any of the usual box-stores. Found exactly five at HEB just a few minutes ago, but wouldn't ya know it....they were paisley purple and pink and my son just wouldn't go for it.

It's like a friggin scavenger hunt. I picture the teachers all conspiring at the beginning of the year to see what wild goose chase they can send parents on. The bugger of it is that half the stuff on most lists every year never gets used. But you never know what it's going to be...

AND, there is one teacher that in all capital letters and bold font insisted that ONLY 1" binder would do. NO OTHER BINDER was acceptable. Anyone need a 1.5" binder???

****end of rant****

I truly have the utmost respect for teachers that care and take time to know our kids and teach them and make them feel like successful students.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
269 posts, read 695,968 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

I had a boomerang kid, tossed him out and back he came a year later.
I was secretly glad though, I missed him. So don't turn on the no vacancy light just yet.
They have been out a while, oldest one to marry in a few months, younger is with is gf and their two wee ones. Both in different states days from here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 PM
 
14,637 posts, read 32,819,738 times
Reputation: 6683
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinSA View Post
They have been out a while, oldest one to marry in a few months, younger is with is gf and their two wee ones. Both in different states days from here.
Ah, the calm before the storm.

They're planning a sneak attack.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
 
905 posts, read 2,761,548 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
***rant****
ARGH

WHY do the teachers require those stupid folders with pockets AND brads that NO store ever seems to stock enough of??? One year, I tried ordering some online only to be sent a case of the wrong thing (picture was misidentified online). This year, I thought I'd get a head start, but didn't find ANY at any of the usual box-stores. Found exactly five at HEB just a few minutes ago, but wouldn't ya know it....they were paisley purple and pink and my son just wouldn't go for it.

It's like a friggin scavenger hunt. I picture the teachers all conspiring at the beginning of the year to see what wild goose chase they can send parents on. The bugger of it is that half the stuff on most lists every year never gets used. But you never know what it's going to be...

AND, there is one teacher that in all capital letters and bold font insisted that ONLY 1" binder would do. NO OTHER BINDER was acceptable. Anyone need a 1.5" binder???

****end of rant****

I truly have the utmost respect for teachers that care and take time to know our kids and teach them and make them feel like successful students.
I totally understand your issue with the folders and the stores not stocking them. I got lucky -- I found them at Target in a pack of 5 for $1 or was it fifty cents? Everyone in the store was looking for them, and I just got lucky and saw them on a shelf out of the school supply area. Picked up what I needed and then told the rest of the parents. As for the binder, it had to be either a 3" or 4" binder. Finally found them at Office Depot, again, not in the binders, but on the end of one isle, not near the school supplies!

NEISD put their lists on the web back in June or July. Next year, check your district's website and see if it's posted so you won't have to run around at the last minute. Even then, they will still add stuff and there will always be stuff you didn't use. Oh, and you can pick up some things really cheap after the rush is over. I got packs of pens and pencils one year for 10 cents!

And it took me most of the evening to fill out those forms, too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
269 posts, read 695,968 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Ah, the calm before the storm.

They're planning a sneak attack.
a seven year calm.... and my house rules LOL nevah! will fill you in at the stamp & crop
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 AM
 
139 posts, read 339,165 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
and you can pick up some things really cheap after the rush is over. I got packs of pens and pencils one year for 10 cents!
OK, here's my addition to the parent school supply saga....

We found my youngest's (4th grade) list online a few weeks back. Cool beans! Got it all then, no trampling in the aisles, everything stocked. I am happy.
My middle child's school (8th), didnt give the list until the handed out schedules. That was rough. Fought the crowds on tax free weekend. But, thanks to a trip to Ft Sam Houston that weekend...we found the pink eraser!
Now, my oldest in HS..(11th grade). They tell us they will require things as they attend the classes the first few days. OK. Fine.
But, get these little dittys from a couple of her teachers. One teacher requires only a BLUE 1/2 inch binder and the other is requiring only 1 BLUE folder with brads. She insisted that the folder with brads be brought in today. This was a homework assignment. She told the class if they failed to bring a blue folder with brads in today, she had plenty for the students to purchase...she was charging $1.50 each!! WHAT?!?!?!? So, they either brought in the folder, or the $$.
I also need to find composition books. We bought the required 6 on the list. Apparently that is not enough. Teacher wants more. I had a hard time finding 6.... Anyone seen any in west SA?
Now, today, I am off to travel around San Antonio (with my trusty GPS if necessary to travel where I am unfamiliar with, LOL), and find compostition books & a 1/2 in blue binder!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
796 posts, read 2,870,240 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
OK, here's my addition to the parent school supply saga....

We found my youngest's (4th grade) list online a few weeks back. Cool beans! Got it all then, no trampling in the aisles, everything stocked. I am happy.
My middle child's school (8th), didnt give the list until the handed out schedules. That was rough. Fought the crowds on tax free weekend. But, thanks to a trip to Ft Sam Houston that weekend...we found the pink eraser!
Now, my oldest in HS..(11th grade). They tell us they will require things as they attend the classes the first few days. OK. Fine.
But, get these little dittys from a couple of her teachers. One teacher requires only a BLUE 1/2 inch binder and the other is requiring only 1 BLUE folder with brads. She insisted that the folder with brads be brought in today. This was a homework assignment. She told the class if they failed to bring a blue folder with brads in today, she had plenty for the students to purchase...she was charging $1.50 each!! WHAT?!?!?!? So, they either brought in the folder, or the $$.
I also need to find composition books. We bought the required 6 on the list. Apparently that is not enough. Teacher wants more. I had a hard time finding 6.... Anyone seen any in west SA?
Now, today, I am off to travel around San Antonio (with my trusty GPS if necessary to travel where I am unfamiliar with, LOL), and find compostition books & a 1/2 in blue binder!!!
I saw some composition books at our Target store, but it is the one off of Stone Oak and 281. I did also see them at the Dollar Tree stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
796 posts, read 2,870,240 times
Reputation: 354
I was able to get first day pictures of all of the girls as a group, but since I had to take 2 to elementary (to get kinder pics), my older ones escaped the bus stop pictures. Today, I told them I was going to drive by the bus stop to take their pictures, and of course they shrieked and said no. I was not going to, but then I noticed that one of them left their water bottle, so I was going to have to go there anyway. Soooooo, I took the camera. There was only 4 kids total at the bus stop, and just one that they did not know. So, I whipped out the camera. They were hiding their faces and the other two kids were laughing. I told them I would not leave until they stood still for the pictue. They did.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: san antonio/potranco area
604 posts, read 1,437,414 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
***rant****
ARGH

WHY do the teachers require those stupid folders with pockets AND brads that NO store ever seems to stock enough of??? One year, I tried ordering some online only to be sent a case of the wrong thing (picture was misidentified online). This year, I thought I'd get a head start, but didn't find ANY at any of the usual box-stores. Found exactly five at HEB just a few minutes ago, but wouldn't ya know it....they were paisley purple and pink and my son just wouldn't go for it.

It's like a friggin scavenger hunt. I picture the teachers all conspiring at the beginning of the year to see what wild goose chase they can send parents on. The bugger of it is that half the stuff on most lists every year never gets used. But you never know what it's going to be...

AND, there is one teacher that in all capital letters and bold font insisted that ONLY 1" binder would do. NO OTHER BINDER was acceptable. Anyone need a 1.5" binder???

****end of rant****

I truly have the utmost respect for teachers that care and take time to know our kids and teach them and make them feel like successful students.
So glad someone else feels the same way about the school supply list... what I really love is how they request 3 of something- and guess what- it ONLY comes in packs of two---so you have to buy more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top