U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 AM

57 posts, read 150,193 times

Advertisements

Our daughter started high school yesterday , but it went much better than expected. We've moved 3 times in the last year (2 within the same city). The best thing about this move was that she had a whole grade level full of teens who were just as worried about getting lost as she was. She did see some familiar faces from the Jr High she just left, which helped tremendously. The best thing was that she befriended another new student at lunch, so she was not alone (that's been my worst fear - her eating lunch by herself). All of her anxiety about starting high school quickly faded away after lunch was over.

Walmart was a nightmare last night! My big complaint is that the teachers return to school at least one week prior to the students and they are not utilizing the technology our tax dollars are paying for! They should be required to post their class supply list on the campus website during their first week back to school, so parents don't have to go on scavenger hunts at understocked stores that first afternoon of school! Kudos to NEISD for having their lists posted well in advance. I guess that's one of the reasons why they're one of the premier districts in the area!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 AM

12,088 posts, read 13,701,451 times
Moderator cut: quote

OK. I have to chime in here. My daughter is out of school now but when she was in.....

I would get so mad for the same reasons you guys are. I would go talk to the teachers a full year before ( all grades) and tell them the same thing. You already know what your going to ask the kids to bring it. It's a standard list. Make it available NOW!! Those special "Binders" that they just had to have, still all unused. I would go up and say, explain to me why it has to be a 3 inches ( which could not be found) instead of a 2. Never did get a good answer. They finally went to the "wrap packs" the last 2 years of elementary. You pre paid and they gave you everything you needed. Maybe suggest that they start that again ( they may still have them) the price came out about the same and you didn't have to do all the running.

Do they still make you bring in tissues or not get your locker??!! That was the worst for me. I wanted to march up to the school with my property tax statement and say heres your tissues!! But I had a shy kid, so like everyone else, I spend way to much money on stuff she never used ( but they said she HAD to have) and sent in my two boxes of tissues.

Sorry this was so long...

Just my 2 cents.

oops, did not mean to quote the last person!! Sorry.

Last edited by Bo; 08-26-2008 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Last sentence indicated quote was unintentional.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM

796 posts, read 2,870,845 times
Tissues and paper towels. My middle school daughter told me not to buy that stuff yet. She said the teachers never used all of what they got last year, and that a lot of them had cabinets and closets full of that stuff. I bought them anyway, but I will wait until they ask for it.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM

139 posts, read 339,237 times
Oh....you do not want to get me started about the tissues on the list.....
Lets just say if a kid has a runny nose, he/she should bring their own.
If they are that sick, they should stay home with their tissues.
Easy.

I know...I know.....lol

Pretty soon, we will be supplying 2 packages of Toilet paper per student.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM

188 posts, read 577,798 times
I do like that NEISD posts the supply lists on the web months in advance - that's great. But yeah, they never use 1/2 that stuff. OR they write a subject on a spiral notebook like "READING JOURNAL" or something - use 10 pages of it, and that's it for the year. So it's used, but not really. I wish they'd just use 10 loose leaf pages for stuff like that instead of an entire spiral that my kids then feel is not reusable for next year...

I found pocket folders w/brads at Target, but they were mixed in with the ones w/out brads. It was so exciting when I found them, like I'd found money on the street! LOL

Middle school asks for a 3 or 4" binder - that is HUGE! I did find a 3" binder in the office supplies section of Target - for $12 - and then ended up taking it back when I talked to all the experienced parents in my neighborhood who say it's too big and the teachers REALLY want a 2, 2.5" binder. SIGH. So not even the teachers want everything on the standardized lists! Our old school in CO was a list by teacher, and most of that stuff got used because they only asked for what they wanted. That was the way to go.

BUT hey - we all made it through the first day! And sure, my oldest missed his bus home, but we SURVIVED! Yay for us!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,692,924 times
[quote=momzillajen;5002998]
Middle school asks for a 3 or 4" binder - that is HUGE! I did find a 3" binder in the office supplies section of Target - for $12 - and then ended up taking it back when I talked to all the experienced parents in my neighborhood who say it's too big and the teachers REALLY want a 2, 2.5" binder.
QUOTE]

My dd's list said 3" binder also. I was looking and looking for one and she reminded me that the list also said that last year and we never found one and she survived. She doesn't like those big binders anyway, they are way to big to be carrying around. A 1 1/2 or 2" with a zipper is fine for holding all their stuff.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,827,356 times
[quote=TXtrkgrl;5005635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzillajen View Post
Middle school asks for a 3 or 4" binder - that is HUGE! I did find a 3" binder in the office supplies section of Target - for $12 - and then ended up taking it back when I talked to all the experienced parents in my neighborhood who say it's too big and the teachers REALLY want a 2, 2.5" binder.
QUOTE]

My dd's list said 3" binder also. I was looking and looking for one and she reminded me that the list also said that last year and we never found one and she survived. She doesn't like those big binders anyway, they are way to big to be carrying around. A 1 1/2 or 2" with a zipper is fine for holding all their stuff.
Eureka! I found a 3" binder at H friggin' EB. $5.97.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM

796 posts, read 2,870,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
Oh....you do not want to get me started about the tissues on the list.....
Lets just say if a kid has a runny nose, he/she should bring their own.
If they are that sick, they should stay home with their tissues.
Easy.

I know...I know.....lol

Pretty soon, we will be supplying 2 packages of Toilet paper per student.
I agree 100%

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,692,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
I agree 100%
me too. What about when they ask for 48 pencils

I send two with my kid and when she needs another, I send it.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM

12,088 posts, read 13,701,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
me too. What about when they ask for 48 pencils

I send two with my kid and when she needs another, I send it.
They ask for 48 pencils at a time now???!!! I would love to see a teacher justify that to my face!! Am I wrong... if you multiply 48 pencils times, say even just 30 kids....one thousand four hundred and forty pencils!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio