U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM

139 posts, read 339,457 times

Advertisements

So parents of school age kiddos....are you ready for tomorrow?
Excited? Depressed? Irritated? lol
How was your summer?

Being new to SA, and to the state of TX, our summer was spent moving. The 5 of us spent countless hours driving and in hotel rooms house hunting & then closing on our home. I was ready to send them to school the end of July!

How about the lists? Did you find everything ok? Talk about depressed after spending a small fortune. My 16yr old daughter almost got trampled in the store the other day reaching for a binder! lol
We have spent the past 2-3 weeks registering them, shopping, attending prep days, & Meet The Teacher Nights.

I am pooped out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 AM

64 posts, read 265,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
So parents of school age kiddos....are you ready for tomorrow?
Excited? Depressed? Irritated? lol
How was your summer?

Being new to SA, and to the state of TX, our summer was spent moving. The 5 of us spent countless hours driving and in hotel rooms house hunting & then closing on our home. I was ready to send them to school the end of July!

How about the lists? Did you find everything ok? Talk about depressed after spending a small fortune. My 16yr old daughter almost got trampled in the store the other day reaching for a binder! lol
We have spent the past 2-3 weeks registering them, shopping, attending prep days, & Meet The Teacher Nights.

I am pooped out!
I was in the same boat this past summer moving! So needless to say we are ready for our daughter to get back on a regular routine with school. She actually started last Monday with NISD ECC program. She absolutely loves it and keeps asking this weekend if she is going today to school! Good luck everyone with a new school year

Old 08-24-2008, 08:46 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,675,920 times
*sigh*
Mine starts high school tomorrow. I'm happy school is starting, and only a little sad/scared that he's going to 9th grade! Bedtime tonight will reveal his feelings about the whole thing!!

We only had one list in advance - but it had the graphing calculator on it. I'm a sucker for "investing in their future", so we bought one at Office Dept (they offer insurance!!).

Otherwise we've spent a small fortune on yearbooks, PE clothes, new shoes, new backpack (since he can actually carry it now!), pictures, and the lunch account. I'm SOOOO ready for the 20+ phonecalls to me at work to stop! "I'm bored" "what can I eat" "can I go to the pool" "when are you coming home" "can you take me to Game Stop"...

Just remember to leave for work early and drive slow - those new bus drivers will be tested tomorrow!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,853,781 times
I'm in hot pursuit of a 3" binder, and that will finish the list. Mine is starting middle school *sniff sniff* but he's calm, cool, and collected. He has older friends that are already there, so no worries. Yeah, right!

Open house night was a mess. Thank God there was not a fire in the building--there would have been no way for the fire trucks to make it in. Once inside, everything was nice and organized, but that parking lot was scary.

Now, I just need to open my wallet and let him take what he needs. Hopefully he'll leave a buck or two for Mom, but I will not hold my breath.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,230,056 times
Kiddo is starting middle school tomorrow. He is very excited!
I hope the first day is more organized than the orientation was. They hearded all 6th graders like cattle with less than a minute to even talk to the childs teacher. And some wise one thought Adult size shorts ( no youth) were in order for PE.

First day of school means I'm back in school too. I'm excited about my year. I will have a hard time going to bed myself as always the first night I'm afraid I won't hear the alarm and be late to work.

We went to three stores for supplies yesterday. Wishing middle schools would get the list out sooner than orientation to avoid this nightmare. Who knew erasers would be so hard to find? This was probably the cheaper year for supplies since Elementary gives you all those extra classroom requests.

Hope everyone has a great first day!!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,230,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'm in hot pursuit of a 3" binder, and that will finish the list. Mine is starting middle school *sniff sniff* but he's calm, cool, and collected. He has older friends that are already there, so no worries. Yeah, right!

Open house night was a mess. Thank God there was not a fire in the building--there would have been no way for the fire trucks to make it in. Once inside, everything was nice and organized, but that parking lot was scary.

Now, I just need to open my wallet and let him take what he needs. Hopefully he'll leave a buck or two for Mom, but I will not hold my breath.
Did you try the new Office Max?
Yeah, I'm thinking lunch alone will be a wipe out to the wallet.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 AM

No, I'm headed that way today! $3 a day for breakfast and lunch, while still a good value, makes me question when this boy can get a j-o-b.

Luckily, he likes taking a sandwich and a banana--we'll have to see how it goes. I'm good either way.

Our school just came right out and asked--"Would you rather see a couple of fundraisers or just write us a check for $25 and be done with it?" I'm hoping everyone voted my way--who do I make the check out to? Fundraisers are a PITA.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Ohh, fundraisers are outlawed in my house. I would be glad to write a one time check, and nothave to see those large envelopes come home in the backpacks!

Why is it always the pink eraser that no one can find ever year?

We went to the new OfficeMax last weekend. Wow. What a nut house. They only had 2 registers running, and a line going past the printing/binding area. But, that was tax free weekend too.....

Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 AM

I have one in high school (11th), one in middle school (8th), and one in 4th grade.
Next year will be the year I will be having a hard time. One will be starting her Senior year, and one will be starting his Freshman year.
Ack...suddenly..I feel old.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 AM

In elementary school, it was day 2 when the first fundraising packet would come home. They wouldn't even give you time to settle in! Then you take it to work, and everyone else's kid is selling something, too. Mostly junk that nobody really wants--except for the cookie dough, of course --but it has really gotten out of hand, IMO. Seriously, I will just give you some money if you go away and don't bother me for the rest of the year. I volunteer, too, so it's not like I don't care--I just don't need a part-time evening job going door-to-door selling tins of peanut brittle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio