Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,342,175 times

Advertisements

I was visiting your fine city three weeks ago to find a new home and got stuck in the "fast" lane driving at about 5 mph past the airport on 410. The lane was closed up ahead for construction and as soon as I realized this I put my turn signal on to move over one lane. That's when Mr. Ford Focus sped up to about 8 miles an hour in order to get right next to me, preventing my lane change. I finally managed to squeeze in just before I would have hit the barriers. Perhaps, Mr. Focus, you would have preferred I side swipe your lovely little car? About a mile further up the road, beyond the construction, I was getting closer to my exit and put my turn signal on to get into the slow lane and prepare to exit. Well, Ms. Big-Ol-Pick-Up decided that it was just not right to move in front of her, maybe because she wasn't exiting, and sped up to prevent me from exiting. This happened one more time before I could finally leave I-410. Three rude drivers in the span of about 5 miles. Do out of state plates mean "abuse me?"

By the time I arrived at my real estate agent's office I was literally in tears. I've been through a lot in the past couple years and this is supposed to be my fresh start. I thought people in Texas were supposed to be nice and friendly. I'm moving out of Arizona to get away from mean inconsiderate people (cheating ex-fiance and cruel uncaring boss) and am wondering at this point why I decided on San Antonio. I love the weather, the cost of living, the fact that you have real malls and stores there, major league sports, night life, etc., but I'm scared because everyone seems to be all about being mean to others. Is it really so hard to let someone into your lane? Seriously? What's the big deal? I hope I just had the back luck to drive near the only three rude drivers in town. What are the odds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,850 times
"""What are the odds?"""

The odds are that you probably waited until the last GD second to signal and try to get over...there's your "odds".

Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM

actually, I'm one of those drivers who signals with more than enough distance left. It was at least a half mile before the lane closed that I was signaling and being pushed back. It was obvious that the other drivers were deliberately blocking me. I've been driving for over 24 years and know a rude driver when I'm next to one. However, once I get there if someone wants to cut in front of me, I'll be more than happy to let you in. That's how I was raised.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,052 times
Don't worry, you will get used to it . Not all drivers are like that. Just get you a big truck and they will move out of your way .

Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Yes, big trucks do have that power, especially the REALLY big ones. On my drive out to San Antonio to house hunt, I was being passed by big-rigs all the time, and I was driving 80 mph

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
I was visiting your fine city three weeks ago to find a new home and got stuck in the "fast" lane driving at about 5 mph past the airport on 410. The lane was closed up ahead for construction and as soon as I realized this I put my turn signal on to move over one lane. That's when Mr. Ford Focus sped up to about 8 miles an hour in order to get right next to me, preventing my lane change. I finally managed to squeeze in just before I would have hit the barriers. Perhaps, Mr. Focus, you would have preferred I side swipe your lovely little car? About a mile further up the road, beyond the construction, I was getting closer to my exit and put my turn signal on to get into the slow lane and prepare to exit. Well, Ms. Big-Ol-Pick-Up decided that it was just not right to move in front of her, maybe because she wasn't exiting, and sped up to prevent me from exiting. This happened one more time before I could finally leave I-410. Three rude drivers in the span of about 5 miles. Do out of state plates mean "abuse me?"

By the time I arrived at my real estate agent's office I was literally in tears. I've been through a lot in the past couple years and this is supposed to be my fresh start. I thought people in Texas were supposed to be nice and friendly. I'm moving out of Arizona to get away from mean inconsiderate people (cheating ex-fiance and cruel uncaring boss) and am wondering at this point why I decided on San Antonio. I love the weather, the cost of living, the fact that you have real malls and stores there, major league sports, night life, etc., but I'm scared because everyone seems to be all about being mean to others. Is it really so hard to let someone into your lane? Seriously? What's the big deal? I hope I just had the back luck to drive near the only three rude drivers in town. What are the odds?
Froot....sorry you had a bad day on your trip here. How did everyone else do besides those three drivers? I hope better??? Just FYI....yes, SA is a friendly city.....and those three people may have been having a rough time in life as you have. Life can suck just about anywhere. It sounds as if your pain is still very close and real, which can make everything else around you feel awful. Good luck with starting over. You're in charge of your happiness.....not those rude drivers.

Welcome to SA!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
if that was the worst thing that happened to you on the roads of SA, consider yourself VERY lucky. The typical driver here could easily beat that when it comes to complete incompetence, rudeness, and probably being drunk to top it all off.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,798 times
Quote:

Frootloop, having moved here a few months ago I can share my observations regarding drivers in this area. First off I had read and heard that drivers here were bad etc., etc., but I decided I would reserve "judgement" until I actually had the opportunity to experience some consistent driving in the area.

So......to report to you that, IMHO, your observations are correct from my experience. And, I REALLY hate to say that. I feel as if I am a good and considerate driver. I've never had a ticket in my 40+ years of driving (knock on wood LOL) and I've only had one minor accident about 35 years ago. I've found all the same instances that you stated and also people think that the left lane is for driving, not passing. There have been numerous times (and I mean numerous as in A LOT....) when I have had my blinker on for 1/2 mile or so and STILL no one will let me over. Now that I know my traffic patterns and am more comfortable with where I'm going, I just get into the lanes I need well in advance. On the other hand.....this is the only complaint I have about people in SA (in general)....the folks here are super, super friendly, courteous, typically will go out of their way to help etc.....except when "they" (don't really know who "they" are...but for lack of a better word) get behind the wheel they become different people . Enough said.

Please do not let this dampen your enthusiasm for your move and getting a fresh start. You will love it here and will enjoy the people and the culture (I do)....just grin and bear it for the drivers...patience is a virture!! as I tell myself all the time...LOL

Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
When it's hot, and the construction ties people up, yep they get rude. Also, a lot of people are fed up with the "last minute lane changer" and won't let them in. It's unfortunate, because new people like yourself get treated poorly. I will add that it has not always been this way--we have a huge influx of drivers moving here from other places, so I don't think it's fair that SA drivers are taking all the heat.

Just my .02 but we're really very nice. I hope you do find a happy new life here! I did 23 years ago, and many more people have, too.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM

778 posts, read 2,504,331 times
Quote:
Next time, slowly, hit the brakes and come to a complete halt. That will cause an accident behind you (take my word for it). Then, the folks in the lane you are trying to get into will be so busy rubbernecking that you will have more than a sufficient break in traffic to get into the lane you'd like.

I don't have all the answers, but this one was pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio