Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

107 posts, read 238,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
It seemed to be implied that with a college education, a great job is out there waiting. I know people who have mountains of college loan debt and no job to pay for these loans. On the other hand, I also know people, who learned their job with OTJ training and do quite well.

Unfortunately, too many of those people "stacking the deck" are hoping that opportunities will come pouring in. That's rarely happens.

Sorry, but maybe it is not a perfect world, but yes, even with a dagree it is tough to find a good job. But that is the point!!!!!! Imagine not having that degree. Having the education makes you far better off.
I think many people take it personaly because they didn't go to school so want their kids to take their same path. Talk about putting your kid behind the eight ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Quote:
Seems like the mother just wants the family to just like herself
For ONCE I kinda sorta agree with you. I have seen this kinda of passive thinking that I have seen prevelant in families that have the attitude "You think you're better than me?" I chalk it up to jealousy and bitterness on the mother's part, and its a sad thing when a parent doesn't want their own child to succeed. Parents are supposed to want more for their child than what they had. But I dont think its fair to say this is just a San Antonio thing. I am sure it happens in families all over the country.

My uncle has lived in a very exclusive neighborhood in Maryland for the past 20+ years, both my uncle and his wife (who is MD born and raised) are successful and well off - they have two kids, one became a PA at the age of 21, the other is their 25 yr old son who still lives off them, guess who they brag the most about? Not the PA - and the attitude is "She isnt better than us!" So in my opinion this kind of thinking can be prevelant in any family, from anytown, of any social stature.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smis View Post
Chris,

I think you touched on it. In some cultures it is seen as an insult if you 'better' yourself over your parents.

'Well, looky at mister fancy pants and his edumacation'? "Better than your father, huh?" "You think you are better than me son?"

Quite sad and very 'not of this century'.

As a parent myself, all I can think of is 'more, better, sooner' for my children!

Good Grief., is this North America we are talking about in this thread?
Ok so am I wrong to tell my kids that they better go to college, get a great education, hopefully get a great career and make lots of money so that I can quit my job and they can support me? Are those word of encouregement or am I sending the wrong message?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 PM

130 posts, read 126,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Ok so am I wrong to tell my kids that they better go to college, get a great education, hopefully get a great career and make lots of money so that I can quit my job and they can support me? Are those word of encouregement or am I sending the wrong message?
Please stop at:

'go to college, get a great education'

Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smis View Post
Please stop at:

'go to college, get a great education'
So I am being selfish since having them support me is really the only reason I care?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
For ONCE I kinda sorta agree with you. I have seen this kinda of passive thinking that I have seen prevelant in families that have the attitude "You think you're better than me?" I chalk it up to jealousy and bitterness on the mother's part, and its a sad thing when a parent doesn't want their own child to succeed. Parents are supposed to want more for their child than what they had. But I dont think its fair to say this is just a San Antonio thing. I am sure it happens in families all over the country.

My uncle has lived in a very exclusive neighborhood in Maryland for the past 20+ years, both my uncle and his wife (who is MD born and raised) are successful and well off - they have two kids, one became a PA at the age of 21, the other is their 25 yr old son who still lives off them, guess who they brag the most about? Not the PA - and the attitude is "She isnt better than us!" So in my opinion this kind of thinking can be prevelant in any family, from anytown, of any social stature.
Correct., 'bad parenting' is a whole other topic!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
So I am being selfish since having them support me is really the only reason I care?
Selfish is not the word for it!

and wait a minute.., are you serious?

Last edited by smis; 04-20-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 03:37 PM

You should want the best for your children because you love them, not for yourself. Why did you have children in the first place???
Also, here is the thing. College grad want a life. They want more than to stay in their home town. They might want to see the world and with an education they can.

Is SA, you can slide by being a HS grad, but what if they want to leave this area. Grow. They will be so far behind everyone else.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
Sorry, but maybe it is not a perfect world, but yes, even with a dagree it is tough to find a good job. But that is the point!!!!!! Imagine not having that degree. Having the education makes you far better off.
I think many people take it personaly because they didn't go to school so want their kids to take their same path. Talk about putting your kid behind the eight ball.
I am not saying that having an education is a bad thing, not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm saying that college is not for everyone! Some people just don't thrive in that environment and for them it would be a waste of time and money. If you can find a niche where your education is going to be useful, then by all means, have at it. An education, however, isn't the end all, be all. There are jobs out there where a formal education isn't necessary, but still lucrative. There's much to be said for skilled labor. Now, you tell me where a Bachelor's or a Master's degree will be useful to become a plumber?

While I agree that there are some parents who don't want their kids to attend college, I think the majority would be supportive. I, for one, would support my child whether he chooses to go or not.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Hil....You are right in some aspects. When I say college, I am including trade schools and labor schools. In some way, they are even better than most school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio