Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM

12 posts, read 25,777 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at the 281/46 area to buy a home, but looking at realtor.com for the 78070 zip code gives me homes closer to Canyon Lake (too far). Bulverde listings are quite a bit south of 46. Any ideas? Any opinions/comments about that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,358 times
Well, the area you are seeking is definitely in the 78070 zip code, at the 281/46 junction. If I remember correctly, there is a large HEB at that junction. Anyway, the area you are probably interested is just north of Bulverde, around the 281/46 junction. The area is just east of Kestrel Airpark. Look for these street names:

Hollow Wood
Brentwood Dr
River Way
Mt Joy Dr
View Ridge Dr
Coral Cove
Cedar Hill Dr
Windstone
Copper Rim
Whispering Gin
Kemper Dr
Long Meadow
Misty Brk
Brykerwood
Night Sky
Long Birch

These are some of the streets in the area of the 281/46 junction. It appears to be a small community. You can even do a google map on the street name and it will take you to the area, via satallite. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:14 PM

47 posts, read 151,180 times
I live a little further up from 281 and 46. About 8 miles and my address is actually Canyon Lake!! I live 20 miles from the actual lake! So, when someone asks where I live I usually say..Bulverde/Sprung Branch/Canyon Lake.
While your searching I wouldnt count any of those out!.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times
I wouldn't move out that way. I've heard the gang problem has infested the area. There is supposedly a strong influx of illegal aliens, hence a large amount of illicit drug tradings going on. That HEB can not keep up with supply and demand, and often times run out of the essentials. Traffic is horrible. Police are scarce, and when you do see them, they are hiding out behind hills and trees, trying to pull over speeders, or any other minor traffic violation, such as not coming to a complete stop. The churches are messed up, also. A few have lost their ministers, due to divorce. The redneck trophy hunters, despise small foreign cars, and would just as soon force you off the road. Please think twice, before you make your move into this area.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:20 AM

27 posts, read 117,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I wouldn't move out that way. I've heard the gang problem has infested the area. There is supposedly a strong influx of illegal aliens, hence a large amount of illicit drug tradings going on. That HEB can not keep up with supply and demand, and often times run out of the essentials. Traffic is horrible. Police are scarce, and when you do see them, they are hiding out behind hills and trees, trying to pull over speeders, or any other minor traffic violation, such as not coming to a complete stop. The churches are messed up, also. A few have lost their ministers, due to divorce. The redneck trophy hunters, despise small foreign cars, and would just as soon force you off the road. Please think twice, before you make your move into this area.
Please tell me your not serious, this sound like a tale of urban legend. I've heard that if you visit the corner of 281/46 and you spin 3 times counter-clockwise while chanting um-bida-bida-bum repeatedly, Zembidateriano will appear and grant you 2 wishes)

Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 AM

10 posts, read 30,816 times
Quote:
What a bunch of garbage, gangs, yeah right. This is THE area to move to if you want to stay out of the gangs, crime and hustle and bustle of the city. I have a house in River Crossing, about 2 miles away from the 281/46 intersection and the area is absolutely fantastic. The ONLY thing that you have to deal with out here is the drive on 281 if you work in the city. Yes, it is miserable during rush hour but that is the only negative about the area.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
It will all be surrounded by San antonio in the next ten years anyway

Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlivelyjr View Post
What a bunch of garbage, gangs, yeah right. This is THE area to move to if you want to stay out of the gangs, crime and hustle and bustle of the city. I have a house in River Crossing, about 2 miles away from the 281/46 intersection and the area is absolutely fantastic. The ONLY thing that you have to deal with out here is the drive on 281 if you work in the city. Yes, it is miserable during rush hour but that is the only negative about the area.
Yeah, traffic is a WITCH if you have to come to SA often.

My mom and grandma live out 281 just south of 306 and a few miles (less than 10?) N. of 46. They're in Spring Branch which is also 78070. My Grandma and her husband (now deceased) moved out there in the late 80's. There was NOTHING out there. It was nice. For a short while I lived with her, worked in SA, commuted daily with no problems. I also lived in Bulverde for a while and went to school @ SAC, no biggie then.

Now I wouldn't DREAM of it, though lots of people do it apparently. I dread even driving out there to visit if I don't time my departure perfectly.

My mom and grandma are happy that there's now an HEB and other things relatively close though. Before, it was either go to SA (all the way) or go to Blanco to the Super S if you needed anything, or pay the price at the little corner store/gas station.

Next time you (any of you) are out that way, stop at the 46 bar and grill and have some fried pickles for me, and shoot a game of pool. My mother and I are not currently on speaking terms so it will be a while before I'm out there again (when the guilt compels me to go see my Grandma, most likely)...

Old 08-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I was there less than 2 years ago and it is a very, very lovely area. I bought 5 acres in SB and it is pretty upscale in that area. Maybe you are talking further south???

Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Yeah, My mom and grandma are happy that there's now an HEB and other things relatively close though. Before, it was either go to SA (all the way) or go to Blanco to the Super S if you needed anything, or pay the price at the little corner store/gas station.
I've been in that Super S. I think it's on River Rd. Small, but had everything I needed. I felt really at home in Texas Can't wait to get back. I still see everything in my mind as if I was there, yesterday. At the time of day that I was at 281/46, the traffic WAS heavy, but it was evening traffic coming home from work. When I was there another day, around 1pm, traffic was fine. If you can plan your day around heavy traffic times, it's not so bad. When I get there, I'll be retired, so traffic won't bother me a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio