Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,058 times

Advertisements

Nice forum, just found y'all today!

I just saw the City's Downtown West neighborhood update plan. We own a nice, very old home on W. Martin near the jail. I guess it's in the Prospect Hill n-hood. (We don't live there though). So we're kinda out of the loop. I would like to hear back from other property owners about what they think about this. Will it really happen, will there be any eminant domain threats, etc..
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
I remember when Stone Oak was proposed. It was a planned community. Mixed development, a whole new city planned out. Now look at it. So much for planning. I imagine that an area already developed and historic to a point will not undergo drasitc changes.
Another point is Mahncke Park. The Witte Museum wanted more parking, so they took part of Brackenridge Park. Took the trees, moved the Zoo train, and are now building a multi-level garage in a corner of the park. The city plans called for preservation of parks and green spaces, but money talks, so the trees went.
Just keep an eye on things and be involved.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,342 times
ShaneSA:

A couple of points:

1. Stone Oak was a "master-planned community". But it was planned in accordance with suburban concepts. And suburbia has proven to be dysfunctional. So I don't think that "planning" means the same thing as "proper planning".

2. I wasn't the biggest fan of the parking garage for the Witte, but they do have a serious shortage of parking there. I hate the fact that we're encouraging driving by building the garage, but the Witte (and Brackenridge, and the Zoo, etc.) belong to the entire city, not just Mahncke Park. And I think that the garage was the most effecient way to provide adequate parking with a minimal impact on the park. Maybe in our lifetimes we'll see transit (and development patterns) that will render future parking structures (and their staggering cost) unneccesary.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,058 times
So is there anyone from the PROSPECT HILL area on this board planning to go to the meeting Tuesday night? I know they won't be moving any mountains or moving at break-neck speed.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,526 times
Default moving there

I didn't get to go to the meeting, but I'm really interested in the neighbor's thoughts. I'm moving into the neighborhood soon so I'm also anxious to know what sort of developments are looming in the future.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM

504 posts, read 1,456,847 times
jason mata is the man you need to get a hold of in prospect hill. eugenio is another one, but the dude is a little too much into conspiracy theories. you can also contact your councilwoman for prospect hill. one is mary alice cisneros at 207-7279 ask for carlos, he is very helpful or lourdes galvan's office at 212-2275 and you may speak with anna ramirez.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,778,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I remember when Stone Oak was proposed. It was a planned community. Mixed development, a whole new city planned out. Now look at it. So much for planning.
Not at all. If you look at the plat of the land and the original documents for Stone Oak, it was always designed as a suburban master planned community, not a new urban city in the sense you think.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM

you can also get ahold of Santiago at WDC at
santiago . garcia at sanantonio.gov

no spaces, just did that so that he doesnt get spammed. he is a good friend and can give you the ins and outs of the program. need anything else? just message me.

Last edited by quest51210; 10-15-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 PM

43 posts, read 95,741 times
http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...P_Update_2.pdf

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 PM

thats a good link too

here is another
Welcome to the City of San Antonio Economic Development Department-Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio