Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,253,886 times

Advertisements

There's a plant nursery over here on the near West side on Ruiz St., somewhere between 24th and Zarzamora is all I can tell you. I stumbled upon it by accident... great prices.

Anyway they had decent size Esperanza plants (Tecoma Sans, Yellow Bells) for $9.99 when I was there yesterday. Similar sized plants are usually $20 other places, they were on sale here. I wanted another one bad (I have a big one growing in the yard) but I was only there for cheap stuff (seeds and the $1.50 stuff!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,169,731 times
Thanks! I've been wanting to get one of those. I think this is over by my work (I googled it). But I know that I would get soooo lost if I tried to find it on my lunch hour.
Maybe I can get someone from work to go with me. Sounds like a great deal for an Esperanza, those are sooo pretty!!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
There's a plant nursery over here on the near West side on Ruiz St., somewhere between 24th and Zarzamora is all I can tell you. I stumbled upon it by accident... great prices.

Anyway they had decent size Esperanza plants (Tecoma Sans, Yellow Bells) for $9.99 when I was there yesterday. Similar sized plants are usually $20 other places, they were on sale here. I wanted another one bad (I have a big one growing in the yard) but I was only there for cheap stuff (seeds and the $1.50 stuff!).
It's Arbolito's Nursery 1507 Ruiz. Todays Reporter shows Esperanza's for $3.88 probably 1 gal. doesn't say.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Thanks! I've been wanting to get one of those. I think this is over by my work (I googled it). But I know that I would get soooo lost if I tried to find it on my lunch hour.
Maybe I can get someone from work to go with me. Sounds like a great deal for an Esperanza, those are sooo pretty!!
It's a shame , I grew about a hundred Esperanza's from seed in one gallon pots 4 or 5 yrs. back and couldn't give them away. So I do have a few in my yard. Neighbor has one about 10-12 ft High. That nursery is just a few short blks south of Culebra turn west on Ruiz it's right there. Once you have one you're set forever. They're very prolific. Each pod has a lot of little wispy seeds and they blow everywhere.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I love mine and I was complaining recently about it not blooming much, but after the recent rains it has gone absolutely WILD and I love coming home to it!

I wish I could be more specific on the place... I know it was a name.. "So and So's Nursery" or something like that. A Hispanic surname I think. I know I left the HEB on 24th and Culebra, turning right onto 24th, then left on Ruiz, then Ruiz breaks up around a school, I followed it around that school and it was on the left side when coming from 24th street.

Oh, and over in their seed packet area I got a big gallon sized bag of Hibiscus plant food for $1.00! I bought some Zinnia six packs for $1.50 too. A little late for them I think (?) but they were pretty.

Oh, and I bought a Bougainvillea too, at a place on Hildebrand. Again I can't remember the name. It's an issue with me huh?? Names, I mean. It was between I-10 and San Pedro on the right side if coming from I-10, before you start getting to all the antique shops (so before Blanco for sure) and they were having a sale on everything, 30% off. I've been wanting a Bougainvillea for a while now and got a big one for $12, whereas the smaller ones I looked at last month were $15.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
It's Arbolito's Nursery 1507 Ruiz. Todays Reporter shows Esperanza's for $3.88 probably 1 gal. doesn't say.
Thanks! That's the place! I have no clue if it's a name but whatever, I knew it sounded Spanish.

What's "Today's Reporter"? And where? These were bigger than 1 gal I think. Maybe 4? whatever the next size up is. The plants themselves were pretty tall, almost as tall as the 2 year old one I have in my yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
It's a shame , I grew about a hundred Esperanza's from seed in one gallon pots 4 or 5 yrs. back and couldn't give them away. So I do have a few in my yard. Neighbor has one about 10-12 ft High. That nursery is just a few short blks south of Culebra turn west on Ruiz it's right there.
Wow, I would have taken them! I'm growing a few from seed right now, but just a couple and they are tiny. I'm the worst for gardening I guess, because I am so impatient! I'd love to just plant a bunch of them along the fence line on both sides. There's one downtown on Pecan and Flores (again, I think) that is huge and I almost wreck everytime I see it, it's so beautiful! It's up against a green building which helps.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,169,731 times
Quote:
Thanks! That's the place! I have no clue if it's a name but whatever, I knew it sounded Spanish.

What's "Today's Reporter"? And where? These were bigger than 1 gal I think. Maybe 4? whatever the next size up is. The plants themselves were pretty tall, almost as tall as the 2 year old one I have in my yard.

Wow, I would have taken them! I'm growing a few from seed right now, but just a couple and they are tiny. I'm the worst for gardening I guess, because I am so impatient! I'd love to just plant a bunch of them along the fence line on both sides. There's one downtown on Pecan and Flores (again, I think) that is huge and I almost wreck everytime I see it, it's so beautiful! It's up against a green building which helps.

Do the deer eat them??

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Do the deer eat them??
They're listed on most plant sites as "moderately deer resistant"... but I don't actually have deer where I live, too close to downtown, so I don't know the real deal on that. I have freakin' raccoons.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Quote:
I love mine and I was complaining recently about it not blooming much, but after the recent rains it has gone absolutely WILD and I love coming home to it!
Be sure to pick the "green beans" off of it. The sooner you pull those seed pods off of the plant, the sooner it gets back to blooming. It's a good "project" for the kids if you have little ones around.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Maybe that's my problem. Leaving those stupid seed pods on forever. Anyway TX 7007 San Pedro is a new Arbolito's having a grand opening. Maybe it's closer for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio