Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,074 times

Advertisements

i was just wondering for my son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:04 PM

33 posts, read 57,134 times
Fiesta Texas, favors off of craigslist.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Legal or illegal?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
This recent topic may be helpful.

Jobs for 15-yr old High School Students?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiddy1234 View Post
i was just wondering for my son
This may be quaint and old fashioned, but how about cutting grass for people in the neighborhood? I hear you can get anywhere from $20-$50. I used to get 25 cents to mow a lawn with a push mower when I was a kid. I'm still mowing my lawn more than four decades later but now I get nothing for it.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,568 times
Not sure what the Texas child labor laws are like, but I'm thinking at 14 your son is better suited to neighborhood type jobs. Petsitting, dog walking, yard work, handy-man's helper, etc.
Does he need spending money or just something to occupy his time? Maybe a reasonable allowance and some volunteer work?

Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
No reason why a boy can't babysit.

I started babysitting at age 11 (I wonder now what the parents who hired me were thinking!?)... and kept it up until I was able to get my first "real job". My first real job was illegal, and I was paid less than minimum wage, and we were hired to sit in the boss' living room in the evenings, prepping roses for delivery to the convenience stores around town. So we'd have these big coolers full of long stemmed roses and we'd have to trim the stems, remove a lot of the leaves, and break off the thorns, then wrap them in cellophane. The single roses you'd see for sale at the counters at Stop & Go.

My fingers were like swiss cheese from the thorns! I had fun though because 2 of my friends worked for the guy but one of them was older and had a car and license, so he'd send us to Austin for deliveries on weekends and that was always fun.

Anyway, sorry to reminisce... most 14 year old's are going to be limited to babysitting, dog walking, mowing lawns, etc. I've seen some ads on Craigslist where someone wants to hire a teen helper to do work around the house but sometimes those ads give me a really creepy vibe.

My son was never able to mow lawns for money, except for my mom (who REALLY was cheap in paying him for having him do the 1/2 acre lot!!) because we have an electric mower..... he found that most people don't want to let you plug in your mower and then pay you to mow, so he nixed that one.

Meanwhile, I think kids can start volunteering at the Humane Society at 14 (without a parent present, but you should check their website to be sure), which would be good for a "resume" in a couple years, and good practice for learning to take direction in a work setting and having some responsibilities outside of the home.

It's actually fairly hard for a 16 year old to find places that will hire 16 year olds, from my son's experience. It was different when I was 16. Many places nowadays want you to be 18, minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio