Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times

Advertisements

Was the restaurant where you wold raise the little Mexican Flag
for seconds. A second plate I would desperately try to finish off
as a teenager.
A third platterfu of enchiladas , tamales and rice and beans was out of the question.
I could barely walk out of the restaurant after only two platefuls, so full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
These are the only tenents that I can remember right now. I believe Toy Box was the previous tenent where Teen Town was. Teen Town was there in the late sixties. I just remembered, there was also an all you can eat Mexican Resturant in between the Piggly Wiggly and Teen Town/ Toy Box locations. The name escapes me at the moment but they had several locations and were in business until a few years ago. They may even still have some stores somewhere. They had a little flag on a flag pole at the table and you would raise the flag to alert the staff that you would like something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,514 times
Probably Pancho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Was the restaurant where you wold raise the little Mexican Flag
for seconds. A second plate I would desperately try to finish off
as a teenager.
A third platterfu of enchiladas , tamales and rice and beans was out of the question.
I could barely walk out of the restaurant after only two platefuls, so full.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
I wonder where the pancho's was? Where was the piggly wiggly?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM

35 posts, read 93,851 times
Thank you for letting me find this thread.
I grew up on the nw side of San Antonio in like 68 to 73 period.
Have been living in Houston again after many poverty years up north,
but I absolutely can't wait to come back home for a day.
I have refused to eat at Luby's here in Houston until I go back to the
one at Wonderland Mall we used to eat at, near the Siesta Motel
across the street from mall where we lived when we first came to SA.
Wonderful times.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Web welcome to this thread, please share any and all info you may remember when you lived here. The Luby's is still there, what part of nw sa did you live?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Default old times in san antonio

i can remember it as if it was yesterday.
3402 fallen leaf lane
and here's a great resource for you all, came across a lot of old pics.
google: McCreless Mall
Here's a great image of Wonderland Mall I'm sure was new then, there's nothing around it!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Default great hemisfair documentary

just found this today on my search preparing for my SA reunion:

HemisFair San Antonio - Part 1 - YouTube
good stuff. amazing memories.
Again, people in SA don't realize how lucky they are.
I absolutely love that town.
And the women!
(From memories, of course...)
>

Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times
Default Thunderbird Hills and Northwest S.A.,

Was where huckster lived. That was the end of the earth back then.
Loop 410 and Ingram rd. There was a lot of room to move around too..
Nothing but hills was the vista from the top there, looking away from the city.
It was better that way, I think, but there is no going back. There are subdivisions half- way to Medina lake now.
Where did they get all of these people ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Web welcome to this thread, please share any and all info you may remember when you lived here. The Luby's is still there, what part of nw sa did you live?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM

I lived my Marshall HS in the early 80's man there was no life out there, Bandera and 1604 was a 4 way stop.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Was where huckster lived. That was the end of the earth back then.
Loop 410 and Ingram rd. There was a lot of room to move around too..
Nothing but hills was the vista from the top there, looking away from the city.
It was better that way, I think, but there is no going back. There are subdivisions half- way to Medina lake now.
Where did they get all of these people ?
I don't know where they came from, but from what I heard here in Houston a while back I think San Antonio is supposed to be the most growing city in Texas for the next 20 years or something?
Yes, I realized all that growth on my one trip over there since I've lived here. It used to be that out toward Boerne there was nothing, I think when I lived there (68-73 or so) Wurzbach Rd. was the border of building, and if you went out Wurzbach north from I-10 it wasn't very far till there was nothing also. (My family belonged to the St. Matthew's church on Wurzbach.) But on my trip over there I saw as I drove out 10 that the entirety of the hills were built up with many beautiful Hollywood-type homes.

I just remembered my development was called The Foothills. Our neighborhood I feel was kind of like a crossover period, where the early streets near Callaghan were early and cheaper, like maybe even late 50's where my house was probably mid sixties, and then as you got to Red Oak Lane and farther out the homes were more expensive and they were still building some as late as 73. Here's a good example of one of the later ones that the owners smartly placed into a little leftover spot (the one with turrets and bridge going to the front door):
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CAsQ8gEwAA
That was one of my favorite houses in our development, seeing it be built etc.
I remember going into those new places when the framers were done for the day, just ride up on my bike and go look around, see the developing home, smell the sawdust, and then be able to go there for candy on Halloween or whatever later. Such a feeling of, I don't know, the promise of life.

I had a good friend back then whose dad was a Colonel in the Air Force, and they lived in Whispering Oaks. We used to play touch football like the Cowboys in his Cul De Sac. Man, I drove through there, and how nice that development has become. Of course back then there were only newly planted or small trees, but in many places now the oaks have created an entire canopy across the streets. Much more shade than back then when a rain threatened to wash the new bermuda grass away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio