Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I grew up in that neighborhood. It was called the McCreless Addition. All of the streets were womens names. I lived on Christine until IH37 was built and we had to move to make way for the freeway. We then moved over a few blocks to Lilla Jean. McCreless was actually the second mall in SA. Wonderland was the first. I was sad to see it torn down also. I heard that the foundation was so bad that it could not be saved. I was also told that HEB's original plan was to convert the old MW section into a two story HEB Plus but again, the foundation condition would not allow it.
Maybe you knew my mom's family, the Pundts. They lived on Christine...6 sisters and 3 brothers...one of my aunt still lives there.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-29-2012 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRenee13 View Post
Maybe you knew my mom's family, the Pundts. They lived on Christine...6 sisters and 3 brothers...one of my aunt still lives there.
Yep, sending you a PM.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-29-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
I remember the old cinema 1 & 2 . I think that's where I saw the first ninja turtle movie with mom . But obviously movies 9 was were I spent the bulk of my childhood .

Old 09-04-2021, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrywine View Post
I was so sad to read that they have demolished McCreless Mall except for the movie theatre and a dept. store. I grew up on the S.E. side of SA and frequently went to the mall.

I remember long, long ago when there was a small "mall" across from McCreless Mall where there was a doctor's office and a few other offices (I was young and don't know what the other offices were), maybe one was a pharmacy. I believe they called it Little McCreless. That may not have been the official name but I remember family calling it that.

I also remember Ben Franklin Dept. Store, Winn's, Highland Hills Pharmacy, and the little liquor store on the corner of Goliad and Southcross where it intersected with Clark Ave.

These young people coming up there today don't know what they missed. I was there from about 1957 through 1992. Oh and remember the Taco Hut? They did away with it to build Albertson's, but I thought they had the best Mexican food on that side of town. Is El Tipico still there, and Floyd's Dairy Bar? I hope so.

It's too bad things have changed in that neighborhood so very much, it will never be the same.
Berrywine,

My grandparents owned that little Liquor Store when I was young. "If" I remember right, it was called Goliad Liquor. My parents owned "Smokey the Bar" right next to Bill Millers (It's been Sugartime ever since), and prior to that the Texaco Station at the corner of Hot Wells and IH-37. Anyone else remember the house across Gevers from the mall that had a miniature town but in the back yard? Or the house on one of the side streets that the Mom and two daughters dressed up as witches every Halloween and threw candy from.the roof? I think they had a zip line type thing mounted on the roof so they could ride a broom across the roof also?

Blownfuel

Old 09-04-2021, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,805 times
Oh yeah, there was also a Church's Chicken right there by I'll Millers. Got sent to both to pick up lunch for my parents from the bar many times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio