Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 AM

87 posts, read 330,446 times

Advertisements

The nostalgia bug bit me after driving by and seeing the chainlink fence surrounding piles of dirt where *my* mall once stood *sighs*. I've been able to dig up scant info online other than anything recent. So -

anyone have pics? Anything.

Mainly, I'm looking for things such as when it first opened in the 60s, in it's heyday (70s - 80s) when the Handy Andy and the original twin theatre was open, when Sommer's, the ice cream parlor with the swivel, scrollwork metal stools, Woolworth's, the book stall that was in the middle of the mall were there. *Before* the 2nd and last remodel prior to demo.

I know my parents have some pictures, but it will require my sweet-talking my dad into dragging out thirty-something years of photos & sifting through them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,552 times
I grew up on the southeast side and McCreless Mall was "the" mall for us Southeast siders.

Man, I have so many memories.

Then I moved to the north side and stopped going to the mall then HEB bought it and one day I drive by there and its all gone (except for the movie theater and on department store). It was such a bizarre experience driving Gevers Road south towards Southcross Blvd and seeing the vast southside as opposed to the mall and the domed center.

However, I'm excitied with what HEB has planned for the site.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 29,925 times
I'm 24 and my mom used to take us there all the time. And she says when they were little people were able to shop at the Handy Andy and then leave their baskets at the front and then go shopping at the mall and you could get your groceries later?? Anyways...I loved Woolworths and sitting at the snack bar stools and eating their fries...and I loved their Halloween costume aisle and pet section. Sure do miss Montgomery Wards and wish I had pictures.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 PM

29 posts, read 173,639 times
I have an album of about 20 pictures I took at my beloved Wards when I was a volunteer at Elf Louise in 2001.

I didn't take very many of McCreless... as I thought it would be around forever; alas, The Store Which Shall Not Be Named bought and killed it. Too bad they couldn't have knocked down that mess they call Fair Oaks Square across the street from the mall, you know, the one anchored by the festering, filthy grocery store. In its memory I shall always call 4100 South New Braunfels Avenue "McCreless Mall."

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 AM

58 posts, read 203,298 times
What?? McCreless Mall is gone?? When did this happen? I remember it before it was remodeled.

There used to be a giant "M" in front (or was it "Mc")....this was back in the 60's. There was a store called Neisner's (like a Woolworth's) and a furniture store called Karotkin's. The J.C. Penney had a sloping crooked floor.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
I would love to see some pics also, remember the bank in the middle of mall across from Eckerds. I remember the 2 screen movie house, Handy Andy, the bookstore in front of luby's, Wards, woolworth, service merchandise or was it best a few doors down from Luby's?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM

29 posts, read 173,639 times
wtf, bank? bookstore? service/best?????

PICTURES.

i can imagine my mccreless rebuilt, with wards, lubys and all the old familiar friends there....

Old 09-06-2007, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 12,193 times
Default Anyone remember "Little McCreless?

I was so sad to read that they have demolished McCreless Mall except for the movie theatre and a dept. store. I grew up on the S.E. side of SA and frequently went to the mall.

I remember long, long ago when there was a small "mall" across from McCreless Mall where there was a doctor's office and a few other offices (I was young and don't know what the other offices were), maybe one was a pharmacy. I believe they called it Little McCreless. That may not have been the official name but I remember family calling it that.

I also remember Ben Franklin Dept. Store, Winn's, Highland Hills Pharmacy, and the little liquor store on the corner of Goliad and Southcross where it intersected with Clark Ave.

These young people coming up there today don't know what they missed. I was there from about 1957 through 1992. Oh and remember the Taco Hut? They did away with it to build Albertson's, but I thought they had the best Mexican food on that side of town. Is El Tipico still there, and Floyd's Dairy Bar? I hope so.

It's too bad things have changed in that neighborhood so very much, it will never be the same.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,230 times
The theater is going to be demolished too. It closed I guess a week or so ago?? I think I heard that they are rebuilding it when the new HEB Plus! goes up. Guess we will wait and see on that one. I've lived over here on the southside most of my life and remember alot of the places you talked about.

El Tipico and Floyds are still there BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrywine View Post
I was so sad to read that they have demolished McCreless Mall except for the movie theatre and a dept. store. I grew up on the S.E. side of SA and frequently went to the mall.

I remember long, long ago when there was a small "mall" across from McCreless Mall where there was a doctor's office and a few other offices (I was young and don't know what the other offices were), maybe one was a pharmacy. I believe they called it Little McCreless. That may not have been the official name but I remember family calling it that.

I also remember Ben Franklin Dept. Store, Winn's, Highland Hills Pharmacy, and the little liquor store on the corner of Goliad and Southcross where it intersected with Clark Ave.

These young people coming up there today don't know what they missed. I was there from about 1957 through 1992. Oh and remember the Taco Hut? They did away with it to build Albertson's, but I thought they had the best Mexican food on that side of town. Is El Tipico still there, and Floyd's Dairy Bar? I hope so.

It's too bad things have changed in that neighborhood so very much, it will never be the same.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:02 PM

86 posts, read 394,298 times
I also grew up on the S.E. side and really miss McCreless! Lots and lots of memories. Going to Luby's with my family and having the fish with tartar sauce and macaroni and cheese! Shopping at Penny's and Montgomery Wards and going to the Forget-Me-Not Card Store(remember that?)

We also called the shopping center across from the mall Little McCreless. I remember a toy store there and the Highlander Cafeteria, and my dentist's office was there.

You also mentioned my favorite restaurant - The Taco Hut - I miss it sooo much!!! and the Albertson's isn't even open anymore.

I lived in Highand Hills from about '57 through '69. Guess that shows my age but I am proud to have grown up in such a "small town community" during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio