U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,122 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family will be moving to SA in a couple months and have not been able to check out the homes there yet.

Just wondering if anyone knows or lives in either of these two communities, what you think, what is around the area, and the high school in the district?

Any info would be apprecited! Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM

26 posts, read 127,141 times
I am proud resident of Trophy Ridge. The builder is a local builder that makes an excellent home. The subdivision is certified Texas Wildlife neighborhood, which means that they cannot and I mean cannot cut down a tree if it is more than ten feet from your foundation. The style of the homes is very pleasing and the prices are worth the litte extra, because the homes are also certified energy star homes. This basically means excellent insulation value. Another cool feature is they offer detached garage homes. All the lots are large and some are huge, for a track development. The pool is almost finished, along with the basketball court and clubhouse. The developer has promised that we will not connect to any other development, so it is almost a private community. I would be happy to explain more if you would like. I have owned a home in Trophey Ridge for two years and I am even thinking about buying another house in this development.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:17 AM

33 posts, read 112,223 times
I too live in Trophy Ridge and really like the choice we made to move here. Right now there are some drawbacks. Constant consruction in the area (new elementary school in the sub-division, lots of commercial development), horrible traffic on Potranco and no real restaurants in the immediate vicinity (unless you consider Sonic and Bill Miller). However, Stevens High School is about 1 mile away (4,000 students next year), the construction won't last forever, HEB plus right down the road, trees on your lot, energy efficient homes and nice neighbors are all positives. Would highly recommend you at least check it out. Medallion Homes really builds nice places.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM

98 posts, read 321,861 times
We're looking to move to SA in the near future, and I love what I've seen from Medallion Homes. I've been thinking Alamo Ranch because there's no City Tax. What about Trophy Ridge? Anyone know what the tax rate is?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:56 AM

732 posts, read 3,445,225 times
We live just near Trophy Ridge in Stonecreek. We moved from out of state and wished we had seen Trophy Ridge before our move. I think it's in a great location (close to schools and within walking distance of grocery shopping!) and the homes seem really nice. I think it would be a good choice.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM

13,791 posts, read 7,697,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
We live just near Trophy Ridge in Stonecreek. We moved from out of state and wished we had seen Trophy Ridge before our move. I think it's in a great location (close to schools and within walking distance of grocery shopping!) and the homes seem really nice. I think it would be a good choice.
On a google map, it looks like Stonecreek and Trophy Ridge 'melt' into each other and they will eventually share some neighborhood streets...is that not true? I know the new sections aren't even finished yet but it seems like someone will be able to drive from Stonecreek through Trophy Ridge's main road and travel up to the new HEB and new elementary school...but then again, the city might put up barricades like they sometimes do to prevent traffic from making a short-cut through neighborhoods.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,504,681 times
We just moved into Trophy Ridge (last week actually!). So far, we love our home, love the neighborhood, and love everything about it. It's really quiet here and the neighborhood isn't right on a busy road (Portranco). It's set back off the busy roads a little so it does make it nice and quiet back here. The lots have mature trees and that is a big plus in my book! Out of all of the areas that I've seen, I really like this one the best. We actually went out to Bella Vista the other night, and it was a nice neighborhood. I just think Trophy Ridge has a unique look and feel about it that sets it apart from the others. Also, it's advertised that some of the lots don't pay city taxes. So, that's something to look into. Unfortunately, our lot is not one of them and the taxes are outrageous! Good luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM

732 posts, read 3,445,225 times
So far, Stonecreek and Trophy Ridge aren't connected - they have fences and barricades up. Guess they don't want us riff-raff in there! haha....

Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,111,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobie73 View Post
We're looking to move to SA in the near future, and I love what I've seen from Medallion Homes. I've been thinking Alamo Ranch because there's no City Tax. What about Trophy Ridge? Anyone know what the tax rate is?
Personally, I really like Trophy Ridge. Love the look of the neighborhood. And like others have said, many of the lots in Trophy Ridge are not subject to city taxes (at least for now). That said, city tax is approx. .5% on the appraised value, so if it's a $200K home, it'll be about $1000 per year. That would be the only difference in taxes on a city vs. county lot. It's not a total $1000/yr savings, tho, because you do have to pay for your own trash collection vs. paying it on your water bill (at about $10/mn). You do still save, just not the whole amount. Additionally, if you're not in the city limits, you are able to shoot off fireworks (as long as there's not a burn ban in effect) ~ something that many folks didn't take into consideration and aren't too happy about. And I've still not checked in to the fire/police protection in Trophy Ridge. In county areas, it's volunteer fire dept, and county sheriff's dept. only. I wonder about it in TR, since some lots are city and others are not. Keep sayin' that one of these days I need to get over and ask Dana!!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,956,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
So far, Stonecreek and Trophy Ridge aren't connected - they have fences and barricades up. Guess they don't want us riff-raff in there! haha....
So far Stonecreek and Park Place (KB homes further East on Potranco) are connected by one road, Rainbow Creek, although Google Maps does not show it connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio