Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 AM

154 posts, read 630,817 times

Advertisements

I echo the "good for you" fierce flawless. It often puzzles me that parents who are insistent on living in very homogenous, upscale areas say they do so for the protection of their kids.

I have no problem with protecting one's kids, but there are a LOT of things to protect them from besides drugs or crime.

When we've lived in homogenous wealthy areas, I was appalled at the smug selfishness and sense of entitlement my kids were picking up from others in that "good" neighborhood. I still don't wish to expose my kids to bad drugs or crime, but I also don't want them exposed to the unhealthy attitudes rampant in the whitebread suburbs, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 02:09 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
I echo the "good for you" fierce flawless. It often puzzles me that parents who are insistent on living in very homogenous, upscale areas say they do so for the protection of their kids.

I have no problem with protecting one's kids, but there are a LOT of things to protect them from besides drugs or crime.

When we've lived in homogenous wealthy areas, I was appalled at the smug selfishness and sense of entitlement my kids were picking up from others in that "good" neighborhood. I still don't wish to expose my kids to bad drugs or crime, but I also don't want them exposed to the unhealthy attitudes rampant in the whitebread suburbs, either.

I agree 100%.

Heck, my kids pick up this smug selfishness when they spend time with their father and his parents, who live in rather upscale Dallas suburbs! It doesn't take but a couple of weeks for them to start with that attitude. It's crazy. Of course it's partly the "weekend father" spoiling going on as well.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,526 times
Fierce_flawless,

I'm moving to Prospect Hill soon and am very excited to do so. I'm also a white woman and had similar concerns as you did when I thought of moving. I was afraid I wouldn't be 'accepted'. But don't be concerned. It really is a great neighborhood with some fantastic history. And it is really close to downtown. There are some great people that live in the neighborhood. So far I haven't had any problems.

Hope buying a home goes well for you and welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSA_student View Post
Fierce_flawless,

I'm moving to Prospect Hill soon and am very excited to do so. I'm also a white woman and had similar concerns as you did when I thought of moving. I was afraid I wouldn't be 'accepted'. But don't be concerned. It really is a great neighborhood with some fantastic history. And it is really close to downtown. There are some great people that live in the neighborhood. So far I haven't had any problems.

Hope buying a home goes well for you and welcome to the neighborhood.
Hey there!

I think, perhaps, I should be welcoming YOU to the neighborhood!

My post was from way back. I've lived here almost 2 years now. We didn't buy the house we first looked at over here as the crazy seller wouldn't budge on her equally crazy price, but did buy in this area around the end of March 2007. We got a great little old house at a great price.

So, welcome to the neighborhood!! Do you attend the UTSA downtown campus?

The only issue I've had with this area is an issue not exclusive to this area at all but seemingly a problem all over (all over SA at least)... and that's the issue of neglected / abused animals all over the place. INFURIATING. The issue is fresh in mind after witnessing a dog getting hit by a car after having just butted in right before to tell the stupid owners to STOP letting their elderly dog sleep in the street.

Other than that, and an occasional pain in the butt neighbor, not bad at all. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more specifically.

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 10-15-2008 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM

504 posts, read 1,456,948 times
not too mention the prostitutes and drug alleys that surround the area within a few blocks on all sides.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 PM

43 posts, read 95,746 times
damn champ,(eeerr imitator) , why the diss??? i currently live in sunny san diego however, i still have strong ties to san antonio and still visit 3-4 times a year , my boyhood home still exists in prospect hill , its still in the family, a mile from downtown, utsa etc...i think the Cisneros' , who live on the block, along with Sunrise America have done an excellent job in revitalizing older properties in the immediate neighborhood, the revitalization of the old Centeno supermarket property is a definite plus. i also own a home on the NW side of SA yet, i still love the proximity to downtown that the prospect hill home provides. As a kid i use to take the bus downtown for 10 cents! lately iv taken in the 1.3 mile walk to downtown during major events during sundown hours. over the last 10 months iv been doing some house hunting both in and out of the 1604 area, yet the prospect hill area has a more genuine feel to me than any box with a fancy facade in some enclave outside 1604.

Last edited by voyager674; 10-15-2008 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM

i only speak the facts. my dad has had a business on guadalupe for 37 years and i only live 5 minutes south of prospect in palm heights. i would never move anywhere north of downtown, its just in my character not to abandon home.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM

43 posts, read 95,746 times
imitator, you would be a perfect candidate for Sunrise America who can use a person of your vast experience and character who believes in their community. a positive impact could be made with you and others like you contributing to the revitalization of the community !!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
not too mention the prostitutes and drug alleys that surround the area within a few blocks on all sides.
Certainly it is nowhere near the state Mahncke park was in before revitalization.

Living 5 minutes south of Prospect Hill is not the same as living in it. After all, if go 5 minutes north I'm in the Jefferson / Woodlawn area or the Deco District depending on if I veer left a little or right a little, and those areas are totally different. Completely. When I moved into this place I previously lived in LA Heights... and it was a very short drive, but a totally different type of feel.

How are you defining the boundaries of Prospect Hill? Just wondering.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 AM

our shop is in tobin hills/deco area. there are plenty of issues with prostitution and gang violence in the area. palm heights actually has alot less than any area in the south west side, but we do not have many historical homes anymore. that is what saddens me

i am defining according to the city, http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...ect%20Hill.pdf

if you are in prospect hill, you should know jason and all the issues him and his father charlie deal with. you are smack dad in the middle of san antonio's former red light district. it is still crawling with drug issues, gangs, and everything else that comes with that lifestyle.

its just a fact of life for the area. if you do not notice it, its fine. i can scrounge up the crime data maps for the area. you may have forgotten, but i worked with the council folk for the area. i also have a working relationship with the WDC people i mentioned in the other prospect hill thread. the community plan does involve issues of imminent domain, but its too long to go into detail. that is the fear with Haven for Hope, the jail expansion, and the multi modal project. too many folks outside of your community are making decisions for your community.

the main differnce is that prospect hill and others like it do not have that kind of pull. its no big secret within some political circles here that mary alice and henry cisneros do not live together and only show face together for appearances. ricardo romo pres of utsa grew up down the street on the corner of cibolo and monterey. i visit with his folks when i am in the area, but they actually moved up into prospect hill a few years ago. then there SAISD school board member tom lopez, and a slew of other artists, journalists, and politicians. the thing is, they have a different struggle to get this going. the main problem is the apathy of the area and the fact that the city has developed a plan to overrun and gentrify the area.

problem with that is that they will start with the areas closest to the center of town. the closer you are, the more you have to worry about. dont wait until they are on your doorstep, start now and organize your group. form alliances and get the ball rolling. i am not preaching, i and many others know what is going to occur and it is very sad. i encourage you to join up with jason mata and at least hear the guy out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Certainly it is nowhere near the state Mahncke park was in before revitalization.

Living 5 minutes south of Prospect Hill is not the same as living in it. After all, if go 5 minutes north I'm in the Jefferson / Woodlawn area or the Deco District depending on if I veer left a little or right a little, and those areas are totally different. Completely. When I moved into this place I previously lived in LA Heights... and it was a very short drive, but a totally different type of feel.

How are you defining the boundaries of Prospect Hill? Just wondering.

Last edited by quest51210; 10-16-2008 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio