Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:09 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,320,233 times

Advertisements

Beijing Express on Marbach and the one by Embassy Theaters is very good but you have to take cash. Sorry to say but the one off Marbach has a Hispanic/Latino cooking it but he was taught by the owner who now works at the Embassy location. BTW, you could have said non-Chinese.
To me, Panda Express reminds me too much of HEB Chinese, too sweet and douced with honey or stir fried way too much.

Also, there are other Beijing Express chinese food places throughout the city. Only trust the two I have mentioned. The one at Callaghan and Fred. is okay but not near as good as these two.

Last edited by SA Greed; 09-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: edit, adding tidbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,519,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Beijing Express on Marbach and the one by Embassy Theaters is very good but you have to take cash.
Also, there are other Beijing Express chinese food places throughout the city. Only trust the two I have mentioned. The one at Callaghan and Fred. is okay but not near as good as these two.
We used to like the one on Embassy years ago, but it is now run by different (family?) members. However, we haven't been in a while-they don't take CC?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,508 times
Default Lee's Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I always order from Lee's Garden off of wurzbach
I would rate Lee's Garden as subaverage. I occassionally go there because of location and late hours. Otherswise not my first choice. Royal Inn right down the street is much better.

For Chinese I say Royal Inn is close and above average for those in medical center. [fair price]
For Korean so far the best is a llsong (try the kalbi) followed by Wasabi (try the bulgalbi). [pricey but very good]
For Vietnamese (Pho) I like Pho Siagon, then Pho Cong, and last Pho San Antonio. [inexpensive and pretty good]
*I wish they still served mint with pho. Guess it got too expensive.

If you feel like spending $16 dollars on the best salad ever, try the Samurai and get the hue dup bob. [pricey but very good]

Last edited by Lswworth; 12-05-2008 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: To add details.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse841 View Post
Hsiu Yu's (shoe you's) chinese restaurant on broadway has probably the best chinese food in San Antonio. Just call ahead or place your order inside.
Just came back from there; didn't like it; wouldn't recommend.

Meal for two cost $32. We had two chicken plates drowned in sauce. All it came with was steamed rice. We had to purchase the egg drop soup seperately which was almost 3 bucks for one. The meals were 10.25 each. Not sure how much the ice tea was but the final bill was over 32 dollars.

On the plus side the place was clean. I think I only say one asian person who was part of the staff.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lswworth View Post
Just came back from there; didn't like it; wouldn't recommend.

Meal for two cost $32. We had two chicken plates drowned in sauce. All it came with was steamed rice. We had to purchase the egg drop soup seperately which was almost 3 bucks for one. The meals were 10.25 each. Not sure how much the ice tea was but the final bill was over 32 dollars.

On the plus side the place was clean. I think I only say one asian person who was part of the staff.
About the only thing I agree with is that it is pricier than the fast food places mentioned....but then it's not a fast food restaurant.

We eat at Hsiu Yu's often.....more often for lunch. A lunch plate is less than $6 and there is always enough to take home for a whole meal later! We love the Sesame Chicken and the Cashew Chicken...but the beef with snow peas is also excellent.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
I went to the House of Joy tonight. Sounds like something other than Chinese food, but that's what we had. Bandera and Guilbeau--huge plate of food for $8.25 and my only complaint was--cut back on my entree size and include the egg drop soup in the price. But the food is pretty good there.

There was only one waitress and they were super busy--I mentioned it to her and she said business has just been awful all week, so they cut back on their staffing, and then they got slammed tonight. Still, the food was hot and fresh, and the service was OK considering it was just her.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 PM

188 posts, read 613,927 times
My favorite is Ming Court in the Vineyard shopping center 1604/Blanco. SO yummy and the people (yes, Asian) are super super nice. Their prices for lunch/dinner are good I think (under $10 for dinner entrees, and at lunch around $7 and come with egg roll and soup). Sundays they have a buffet which is very tasty. The place always seems clean and I haven't had a bad meal there yet. My favorite is the red chile chicken and my friend swears by the sesame chicken. YUM now I want Chinese food!!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,468,967 times
Ming Tree on Blanco/Bitters is very good --- we go there so much they know us and our kids and know what we want to eat --- they don't even bring us a menu anymore --- we have always had great service AND they won the blue plate award

Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,253,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Beijing Express on Marbach and the one by Embassy Theaters is very good but you have to take cash. Sorry to say but the one off Marbach has a Hispanic/Latino cooking it but he was taught by the owner who now works at the Embassy location. BTW, you could have said non-Chinese.
To me, Panda Express reminds me too much of HEB Chinese, too sweet and douced with honey or stir fried way too much.

The Beijing Express on Marbach has some bomb shrimp fried rice! It is the best IMO. I only go to the Marbach one though cause the other locations, the food is just slightly not as good as the Marbach location. GREAT SUGGESTION

Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
We have a new Lee's Garden at Tezel and Guilbeau, but it's for carryout/delivery only. I've eaten at the one at Babcock/Wurzbach years ago, and wasn't that impressed. We may try it out some night, though. You have to wonder how someone can screw up Lemon Chicken and steamed rice so bad that even the dog won't eat it.......and he's eaten some of MY cooking before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio