Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

They were serving a domestic violence warrant when the shooting happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Wow..so sad.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Almost a fourth injury:
An off-duty San Antonio police officer working security a Northwest Side apartment complex fired a gun early Sunday at two men inside a car, police said.
The men fled in the car after the shooting, and police do not believe anyone was struck.
The officer, who has not been identified, was patrolling the Summit Oaks complex in the 5300 block of Northwest Loop 410, where a rash of car burglaries prompted management to hire officers to patrol the complex, a police source said.
Believing the car was disabled, the officer advanced toward the vehicle. The car then moved toward the officer, who feared for his life and fired his gun, the source said.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
The female cop shot tonight was one month out of the police academy. She was shot in the back and is listed as critical but stable. I'll be keeping all the officers in my prayers tonight. The city has gone nuts today. A man was stabbed to death by his own son.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
Welcome to Metropolitan SA... big city life and big city crime.

Is anyone shocked that these shootings (like 99% of all the cities violent crimes) took place on the South and West sides? I read a story about a shooting on the South or West sides nearly every day. You hear about a person getting hit in the head with a pipe on North side every other month. Is it a wonder the North side is so much more desirable?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM

67 posts, read 78,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Welcome to Metropolitan SA... big city life and big city crime.

Is anyone shocked that these shootings (like 99% of all the cities violent crimes) took place on the South and West sides? I read a story about a shooting on the South or West sides nearly every day. You hear about a person getting hit in the head with a pipe on North side every other month. Is it a wonder the North side is so much more desirable?
Not true at all.

Not the 99% statement or the shooting on the south or west sides nearly every day.

Firstly, I know for a fact you have nothing to back either claim up.

Second, it's overtly obvious you have a bias against the south side or the west side.

Third, these shootings are isolated events and rare. A police officer rarely gets shot which is why it makes for such big news here.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 PM

tganna,

I'll just say maybe there is no bias, maybe you're just ignorant in this particular area.

Here is the breakdown for murder in the North, Northwest, South and West.

From January 1 to August 22 in 2007:

Murder

North: 17
Northwest: 8
South: 12
West: 13

North/Northwest: 25
South/West: 25

Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbizness View Post
tganna,

I'll just say maybe there is no bias, maybe you're just ignorant in this particular area.

Here is the breakdown for murder in the North, Northwest, South and West.

From January 1 to August 22 in 2007:

Murder

North: 17
Northwest: 8
South: 12
West: 13

North/Northwest: 25
South/West: 25
And when you consider only 10% of residents live on the South or West sides you realize just how crime stricken those areas are. I have read several stories recently of people being randomly shot in their cars at stoplights on the South! I made the regrettable decision to volunteer at a South side community center and couldn't believe it. Just drive through the area and you'll see prostitutes and gangs on every corner. You will not find that around La Cantera or Stone Oak. Your right about being ignorant about the area as I try to stay away as much as I can.

Former member 210 made a great map to help illustrate the areas that most will want to stay away from. //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...html#post62984

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
And when you consider only 10% of residents live on the South or West sides you realize just how crime stricken those areas are. I have read several stories recently of people being randomly shot in their cars at stoplights on the South! I made the regrettable decision to volunteer at a South side community center and couldn't believe it. Just drive through the area and you'll see prostitutes and gangs on every corner. You will not find that around La Cantera or Stone Oak. Your right about being ignorant about the area as I try to stay away as much as I can.

Former member 210 made a great map to help illustrate the areas that most will want to stay away from. //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...html#post62984
Funny, the only "shooting at a stop light" I can remember happened on the northwest side in Balcones Heights and it was not "random" but premeditated.

But seeing as how you'd "read" multiple stories detailing "random" stop light shootings, you wouldn't mind linking those articles.

Also...

Are you just fond of making up percentages?

You honestly believe 10% of the city population lives on the south and west sides, the areas I documented in this thread?

Let's see, the SA city population is 1.3 million. So 10% of 1.3 million is 130,000. Give or take.

Well, a quick adding up of some of the zip codes within the South and West sides, some not all, gave me a total of 300,000 residents. Twice as many as you claim there to be.

See, that's what I don't like. Made up lies passed along as some kind of truth. Especially when said made up lies are numbers, data, statistics.

For comparison, the south and west sides are about the size of New Orleans. New Orleans has a murder rate somewhere in the 250 murders a year range.

So, if the South and West sides are so crime ridden with its 25 murders, what the heck is New Orleans?

Corpus Christi is just smaller in population than the combined west and south sides, and it averages something like 18 murders a year since 1999 and in 2004 had 25 murders.

Lastly...

I never made the south side out to be any special. I didn't say it was flawless or perfect.

I am simply countering your false painting of the area.

What community center did you volunteer (I applaud you) at? It probably was in a lower income area as the south side is a combination of middle class, lower middle class as well as lower income neighborhoods.

To generalize the entire south side and west side as one thing because of preconceived notions or some small sample viewing that didn't please you is totally unacceptable.

P.S.

No duh the south side isn't La Cantera or Stone Oak. The south side isn't 20 years old. The south side wasn't born to cater to the upper middle class and upper class.

The south side is generations old.

The south side's genius came from the blue collar working lower middle class and grow to a strong blue collar middle class.

To see it any other way is deceiving yourself.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
tgannaway89

Where on this planet did you come up with this ignorance??? The last person shot while sitting in a car I recall was in Balcones Heights. Where was this southside community center?? You saw prostitutes and gangs on every corner. Were they serving free alcoholic beverages at the community center?? Last Prostitute I saw was on Alamo Near Jones about 20 yrs. ago. Yes, staying away has apparently made you ignorant. Do you have a fear of the dark or just the southside?? Only 10 % of San Antonio's population lives on the south and west side??????? WhuTT?? I'll leave you dangling with that one. You need to get out more. You've much too learn about S.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio