U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 PM

72 posts, read 255,151 times

Advertisements

My family and I went to our first high school football game-go Boerne Champion chargers! When the band played the national anthem-everyone sang!!! I couldn't believe it! Another reason to love San Antonio/Boerne!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:51 PM

114,776 posts, read 60,648,136 times
We love our Country, our State, and our City!!

Last edited by SATX56; 09-12-2008 at 11:59 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,282,152 times
You'd be disappointed at Missions games then. My husband and I are usually the only ones singing the anthem in the stands. The players often sing, which I think is completely sweet. But the fans? Not so much.

In fact (now that I'm on this tear), I'm often completely horrified that people let their kids eat, talk, talk on their cell phone, etc., etc., ad nauseum, while the anthem is being played/sung. Does it KILL people to stand up straight for a few minutes, with their hand over their heart and their hat off?

Old 09-13-2008, 12:22 AM

15,927 posts, read 7,699,270 times
But we do love "OUR" High School football!!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,154,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
You'd be disappointed at Missions games then. My husband and I are usually the only ones singing the anthem in the stands. The players often sing, which I think is completely sweet. But the fans? Not so much.

In fact (now that I'm on this tear), I'm often completely horrified that people let their kids eat, talk, talk on their cell phone, etc., etc., ad nauseum, while the anthem is being played/sung. Does it KILL people to stand up straight for a few minutes, with their hand over their heart and their hat off?
I know what you mean! When we've gone to sporting events and people around us continue with activity as the national anthem is played/sung, my SO, who is retired military, will say something. I don't know if it's out of shock that someone said something to them or because they've realized what they're doing, but they do stop and pay respect. I'm amazed that SO never gotten punched out for being so outspoken! *lol*

Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,253,709 times
Quote:

Freedom of Expression. Come on honestly today's youth coud care less. Ive noticed that patriotism has been declining year after year. Could it be the Economy that because of it people think its okay to much, yap, and play while listening to the anthem? Or the way we are headed as a country?

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Freedom of Expression. Come on honestly today's youth coud care less. Ive noticed that patriotism has been declining year after year. Could it be the Economy that because of it people think its okay to much, yap, and play while listening to the anthem? Or the way we are headed as a country?
Freedom of expression is one reason why more respect to this country should be given.

So because the economy is jacked up gives people an excuse to be disrespectful? Behavior like this is just disrespect, plain and simple.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:30 PM

80 posts, read 180,678 times
Quote:

Horrified? Just because they don't sing during the national anthem doesn't mean they don't appreciate their country. I think having to say the pledge everyday in school is enough to get the point. I don't say the pledge because I figure it's a pointless waste of time. Freedom of expression. I don't even care about it anymore, and I find the Texas pledge especially ridiculous ever since they added "Under God" to it a year ago.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Horrified? Just because they don't sing during the national anthem doesn't mean they don't appreciate their country. I think having to say the pledge everyday in school is enough to get the point. I don't say the pledge because I figure it's a pointless waste of time. Freedom of expression. I don't even care about it anymore, and I find the Texas pledge especially ridiculous ever since they added "Under God" to it a year ago.
It's not the fact that they don't sing so much as the fact that they continue on with their activity. It's disrespectful and downright rude to those around who are showing respect.

I'm sure you would be the first to complain, if you went to a movie and people around you were talking and carrying on as if what you were doing didn't matter. It the bigger scheme of things it may not matter, but at that particular point in time, it matters to you!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,035,781 times
http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/1.gif (broken link)

Helloooo... can ???anyone??? remember what exactly the topic of this thread was???

Probably not, as it seems that derail... derail... derail... is the theme of most of these threads lately... and that needs to cease immediately, folks!

Just as a reminder... THIS is the topic of this thread:

http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/3.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom2 View Post
My family and I went to our first high school football game-go Boerne Champion chargers! When the band played the national anthem-everyone sang!!! I couldn't believe it! Another reason to love San Antonio/Boerne!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio