Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post
I wouldn't be able to 'transfer' anywhere. I work for NUMMI - Welcome to NUMMI.com. NUMMI is an independent company with one location that GM did and Toyota currently does contract with to build vehicles for them. This company is or was (not sure of the current status) jointly owned by both GM and Toyota. To work for Toyota, I would have to apply and go through the hiring process like everyone else. Any time I have vested with this company will go away once the company does. I don't know that this is what I want to do, but it is one of several options I am exploring....
While considering if you want to move here, take into account that the Toyota plant here is not unionized, so wages will be less (I think it's around $16 and hour). Of course cost of living is also less here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM

317 posts, read 307,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
While considering if you want to move here, take into account that the Toyota plant here is not unionized, so wages will be less (I think it's around $16 and hour). Of course cost of living is also less here.
Thanks Steel, I realize that. We are the only Toyota affiliated plant in the US that is a union plant and I honestly believe that is one of the major reasons for them wanting to get out, and I really can't blame them. Toyota made it clear in the past that they don't want their US plants to be unionized. That may actually be one disadvantage I have if I do decide to do this. But I'm not going to start that debate in here. $16/hr is just about half of what I make, but that would probably get me farther than what I'm making now is getting me in expensive California.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 104,563 times
Default California player about tx move

HEY I WORK AT THE INDIANA PLANT FOR TOYOTA. WAS WONDERING WHAT KINDA OPTIONS THEY HAVE HELPED YOU GUYS IN FINDING WORK. ARE THEY OFFERING TRANSFERS OR HELPING IN FINDING GOOD JOBS FOR YOU ALL?

KEEP IN TOUCH
IndianaJones69

Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 PM

385 posts, read 626,467 times
I live out by 1604 & 16 south which is just a few miles away from the Toyota plant and it's just great out here. It's so quiet. I hear sirens/ambulances a few times a year but other than that it's pretty quiet. The air is fresh out here and it's so peaceful. You can see the stars easily at night because of the lack of the city lights. It's not at all crime ridden. Getting into downtown from where I live takes about 25 minutes which is not bad at all. I can't really talk about housing options out here...that's for someone else who specializes in that stuff...but I just wanted to give yall a feeling of what its like to live out here.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 PM

317 posts, read 307,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones69 View Post
HEY I WORK AT THE INDIANA PLANT FOR TOYOTA. WAS WONDERING WHAT KINDA OPTIONS THEY HAVE HELPED YOU GUYS IN FINDING WORK. ARE THEY OFFERING TRANSFERS OR HELPING IN FINDING GOOD JOBS FOR YOU ALL?

KEEP IN TOUCH
IndianaJones69
I assume you're referring that to me. We really haven't heard much yet. Apparently the union and NUMMI are in discussions and Toyota and NUMMI have had discussions about what to do. But nothing has been decided yet, at least that is what we are told.

They are doing different types of classes and seminars and things for employees. There is supposed to be an on site college fair coming up next month. Representatives from many local trade schools and colleges are supposed to be there to talk to employees about what options we may have for retraining in another field. This month its classes - 'Career Transitions', 'Money Management Basics', 'Job Search Strategies', etc. In the future there are supposed to be things like resume writing workshops. All put on by non profit organizations in the area to attempt to assist employees in this transition.

Also in the future are supposed to be workshops about retirement, other benefits such as unemployment, and other things that we may be entitled to. And they are also planning a career fair with companies in the area that may be willing to hire NUMMI employees after the plant's closure. These are all on-site, voluntary, and unpaid.

But as far as what either NUMMI or the parent companies GM and Toyota may be offering has not been discussed. Motors Liquidation, the company created to process all of the 'old GM' during and after bankruptcy, including NUMMI, recently stated that they do not feel they are obligated in any way to assist in the cost of closing NUMMI, cleaning up the site, or assisting employees. Toyota also stated that they do not feel it is right that may be forced to pay these costs alone since the company is/was a joint venture. But also that discussions are ongoing. We have not been told anything about being able to work or apply at other Toyota or GM plants, relocation assistance, severance, or other things.

NUMMI is an independent company. It is not Toyota or GM. I honestly don't think they would allow 'transfers' to other plants. We can apply for work there just like anybody else off the street. But I don't think we would be given any preferential treatment.

There are many rumors going around the plant about what may or may not happen. What severance pay we may or may not get. Whether Toyota's plan is to get rid of NUMMI and the union and re-open in the future as a non-union Toyota plant. I'm not going to get into that here. But to answer your question, there hasn't been much done yet. But we are still 4 1/2 months away from the planned closure. There are supposed to be things coming up in the future. If you're looking to get out or transfer, your best option may have been to take that buyout offer earlier this year. I don't know if they're still offering that though.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:47 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
When will the housing boom come to the area- Texas A&M plus Toyota

Old 11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
When will the housing boom come to the area- Texas A&M plus Toyota
Maybe when the buyers return? The near-elimination of zero-down financing options likely sidelined many potential buyers in that area. It'll take those folks a while to get down payments saved up.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I think there was a great expectation of a lot of people buying in the Toyota area, but then the credit crunch(more down payment, better credit scores, disapperance of no-doc loans, etc.) happened. Now you have these new subdivisions where building has stopped and builders have even pulled out of the area. Most of the newer subdivsions in the area are entry level housing. The first time buyer's stimulus helped, but there are only so many people that qualify for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio