Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 AM

103 posts, read 489,560 times

Advertisements

I am looking for ideas for my wedding. We have been engaged for almost a year already and we think we should start planning. I have no clue where to start. I need some ideas for a ceremony/reception area. We are on a tight budget since we are purchasing a home next year. I went to the bridal event yesterday and was just overwhelmed and the prices seemed so high. I want to do this wedding for under $7000. I already have my dress and that's not included in the budget. Anyone know of some beautiful areas where I can have the ceremony and reception. I wish I could hire a planner but I have no money for it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-22-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: repaired font sizing issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 AM

188 posts, read 615,966 times
The Antique Rose Emporium is gorgeous and you can rent their facilities for around $2500 or less, depending on season & number of guests. That includes tables & chairs I think.
You'd still need to hire a caterer and get plates, utensils, etc. but it is the only idea I have, sorry. Good luck & congratulations!

San Antonio Event Rentals - The Antique Rose Emporium (http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/sanantoniorentals.html - broken link)

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,441 times
Check out the message boards on Wedding Dresses - Wedding Cakes - Wedding Planning - Unique Wedding Ideas

There is a San Antonio board that I think you will find very helpful!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM

363 posts, read 748,050 times
San Antonio Weddings magazine and website is very helpful.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
#1 Hire photographer to take your picture in your wedding dress.

#2 Sell wedding dress.

#3 Go to JP and get married

#4 Skip fancy / expensive / stressful wedding and reception and go on wonderful honeymoon to someplace exotic. Take lots of pictures.

#5 When you get back put remainder of $7000 in interest bearing account.

I know this is not what you want to do. I also know that this is not what you are going to do. I imagine that at the end of your wedding night when you collapse with exhaustion. You may be thinking gee I could be relaxing in (insert name of special exotic place here) right now.

Disclaimer:
Never take wedding planning advice from strange crackpot on the internet.

Congradulations and many happy returns!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,440 times
That's actually not bad advice, Snappy! We spent just around $5K on our wedding - BUT, we were military so the church was free, and the reception was at a friend's house. We STILL have not gone on a honeymoon! We just passed our eight year mark too.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM

26 posts, read 144,051 times
My fiance and I are getting married on November 8 so I think I can help you here. I have a few questions:

Have you picked a date or a time of year?
Do you want a reception where people get served or do you want a buffet style reception?
Do you have any family or friends that can help you pay for portions of the wedding planning?

I can speak from our experience that we wanted to stay below $10,000 for our wedding and we are $7,000 over budget. And we got a friend to be the DJ (we are still paying him but not as much as he normally charges), some other friends are paying for the mariachis, we did our own save-the-date magnets, we did our own wedding invites (i can send you a pic if you want to see how professional doing it yourself can look), we found a florist super cheap ($400 for the ceremony and reception).

Don't ever go to those wedding fairs again. Most of those people are overpriced and would not fit in your budget. I agree that it is overwhelming.

If you need help, I can help.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

95 posts, read 416,989 times
First. Find a good resource book you like -- "Wedding's For Dummies", "Bride's Book of Lists" are two of my favorites. Spend the time and the money on a good one that really fits you, your lifestyle and your budget. Another option is to simply get a copy of MS Weddings magazine and use the planning sheets that are in every issue. My only problem with this is that the magazine assumes you are having a lavish to-do with lots of time and $$). Another GREAT option is to go to a website such as Wedding Dresses - Wedding Cakes - Wedding Planning - Unique Wedding Ideas, become a member (it's free) and use their vast and extensive resources -- budgeting, planning, timelines, etc. You plug in your budget and it will sort it for you. Yes! It's that simple.
Second. Get organized. Know exactly how many people you're inviting (and expecting). Then, decide what's most important to you -- cake? flowers? photography? location? Once you decide the most important aspect slant your budget accordingly.
Third. Location! If you don't want a traditional church reception, think outside the box -- park, community center, atrium, zoo, family friends with a large back yard, military officer/enlisted/all ranks clubs, cultural center, museum, etc.
When you think of vendors look for those just starting out -- you'll be surprised at what kind of "deals" you can get when someone is getting their business off the ground.
Another cost-saving idea is to have your event during unusual times of day. In the morning events avoid more costly food expenses (brunch is far cheaper than evening cocktails), or afternoon so that you may serve simple, light fare. I know one couple that had a simple cake and punch reception in the afternoon at the church, followed by a large family dinner in the evening (at a restaurant), and then an evening on the town with their close friends. It saved them big!
San Antonio has more wedding planners per capita than just about anywhere else in the country (believe it or not!), so don't be afraid to shop around just see what you can find -- even if it's just a meeting to give you some vendor recommendations and get you started on the right track (each coordinator charges different amounts for services and most of their websites will have most of these fees).

Mostly, keep it simple. Don't read too many magazines or watch too many bridal televisions shows or you'll pop out of your budget very quickly. If friends and family are looking for something to give you as a gift, ask for a donation of postage (one of the biggest wedding expenses) or other wedding-related items.

Hang in there, take your time, and do it the way YOU want.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,440 times
I agree that the wedding fairs are expensive. They're marketed at the ones that can afford those things. But a lot of the nice things they exhibit you can do for much cheaper and better with some creativity.

We exhibited with one of the wedding groups here in town a few years ago - and I was surprised at how expensive some of the other exhibitors were! Unfair!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM

188 posts, read 550,775 times
My husband and I got married at the Guenther House in 2001, and I'd highly recommend the location. We got married on the patio with dinner outside. We had dancing upstairs in the roof garden. Granted it was seven years ago, but I thought the cost was very reasonable. We spent less than $10,000 on the wedding.

Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio