Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM

35 posts, read 51,917 times

Advertisements

Fantastic. Now where do these people all congregate together?

Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Except for Arab (I haven't met any or noticed any, but we may have some), you've just described my neighborhood. It's a small neighborhood, so the numbers of each are low for some categories and higher for others, but we have it all. Well, maybe not 'rich' but certainly upper middle-class now
I agree, and I live at the border of Tobin Hill and Monte Vista (on the side of the former). We might be a little "short" on Middle Easterners and "Asians," but I know a good handful of both. I see white, black, and "Latino" all the time, all day. Same thing with gay and straight, conservative and liberal, religious and secular.

No, we don't really have an ethnic "zoo" like they do in many other cities--think of all the cute little ethnically marked "neighborhoods" in Brooklyn/NYC, specifically--but there truly are all sorts of people around. The background, however, is more Latin American, more working class, and less commodified than many other urban centers, especially those of a larger size. In great part, the background feel of other major cities--Chicago, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, and others included--is higher class and whiter.

Hell, if you really want to see a lack of diversity, try the entire south side of Chicago! I love it there, but for half of the population of that city (where I lived for most of my life), quaint and quirky "diversity" doesn't exist.

Sorry about your experience, "5fingaz." Sounds like you've tried your hardest, and it's time to look elsewhere for satisfaction.

And my comment about "elitism" wasn't a value judgment. It reflected a whole bunch of empirical observations of all of the liberals with whom I hang out in this city. Some are happy, and some are not. I think I've noted the basic difference in attitude that determines on which side of that line they find themselves.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times
[quote=5Fingaz;5506901]I want to live in a place where I can walk down the street, see a homeless person playing the saxophone, two lesbians holding hands, and into a eclectic coffee house full of young "beatnik" intellectuals. I want to live in a city where the dining options consist of more than just Mexican and Bill Miller's Bar-B-Q, and where a Friday night dining experience does not involve a popular chain. I want to live in a city where I can catch a live show at a popular venue that caters to music tastes that don't just revolve around Tejano, Metal, or country. I want to live in a city that fosters and encourages eccentrism and individuality; in dress, in opinion and ideology, and in life outlook. I want to live in a city where there is no overwhelming pressure to conform to the "status quo"; where people are free to be themselves and dare to try something new. I want to live in a city that's truly diverse.[quote]

This sort of sounds like it should be in a Simpson's episode, where some super-cool dude goes to live in super-cool town and rolls his eyes when people "just don't get it....man". Like, everyone needs to be "different" but only if they're "different" in the same way as he is. Just seems a little cliche to me. And if San Antonio has still managed to avoid that trap, then I'm thankful

Last edited by dweej; 10-01-2008 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: *

Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Fingaz View Post
Fantastic. Now where do these people all congregate together?
er, in my neighborhood. At neighborhood parties. At neighborhood eateries.

Moderator cut: inappropriate I think you're just looking for something you'll never find, because your expectations are not realistic. You want people to fit a mold you've created. Real people aren't that way.

We have conservatives, more liberals, gay (holding hands walking down the street - married and single),straight single or married with kids, people playing music and creating art on the street, religious, aetheists, PhDs/MDs and high school drop outs, tattooed bikers and 3-piece suited business people. We chat over our fences and at neighborhood hangouts.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-01-2008 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: May not have meant it as a personal insult, but it did, indeed, "read" that way.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
5Fingaz,

What you wrote reflects my experience 120%. I really do feel for you, and I share your frustration with seeing what you do in this place. For me, the worst part is feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone when I read people's excitement in these threads about how awesome a night at First Friday was, for example, and the person claims to be a world traveler who grew up in London or something. Or they get excited about the one small Monet painting at the McNay Museum when they grew up in Philadelphia where there's a museum that contains an entire room dedicated to two dozen Monets. It just boggles my mind. I wonder if the longer you are in a place, the more your standards adapt (downward in this case). This is a frightening prospect indeed. My point here is that I/we don't get many of these people, and they don't get why we would see a lack of depth and electric charge in what surrounds us. But we're all different, and who knows what will turn the OP on.

In my opinion, Austin is a step up, but in terms of the features that 5Fingaz wrote about, I don't think that either city would quite suffice. OP, if 5Fingaz's message seems like it would ring true for you at all, I would consider other cities. That said, however, there is no other place like SA, so you really have to experience it for yourself to believe it. I hope you like it if you move here.

Moderator cut: orphaned ref

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-01-2008 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: referring to deleted quote

Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
5Fingaz,

What you wrote reflects my experience 120%. I really do feel for you, and I share your frustration with seeing what you do in this place. For me, the worst part is feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone when I read people's excitement in these threads about how awesome a night at First Friday was, for example, and the person claims to be a world traveler who grew up in London or something. Or they get excited about the one small Monet painting at the McNay Museum when they grew up in Philadelphia where there's a museum that contains an entire room dedicated to two dozen Monets. It just boggles my mind. I wonder if the longer you are in a place, the more your standards adapt (downward in this case).
No, it's a matter of living in enough different places to learn more about the world, understanding that every place has its uniqueness, appreciating what each has. I think that's what we who have lived in multiple places in the world - including world class cities and far flung outposts - recognise.

Every place has something to offer, even if another place has more. One of my most memorable moments was a Lisu village in the northern hills of Thailand. No roads, no concrete, no running water (at least not plumbing). Only huts and dirt. Amazing, beautiful place. The people had so much to offer, I gained so much from my time with them. Sure, I loved the Louvre when I was in Paris, but I wasn't looking for the Louvre in my little Lisu village.

You can spend your time here saying everything sucks and I'm miserable. Or you can spend your time saying "What new can I discover today?"

Your choice. I, personally, choose the latter.

As for First Friday - we always have a great time. Sometimes the art is interesting, sometimes not so much, but since we're with happy people who enjoy life instead of constantly complaining, our time is always enjoyable.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
No, we don't really have an ethnic "zoo" like they do in many other cities--think of all the cute little ethnically marked "neighborhoods" in Brooklyn/NYC, specifically--but there truly are all sorts of people around.
Well, I'd love it if we had a higher concentration of many ethnicities, as that usually comes with more variety in food options catering to those groups. (we interact with people from every continent on a regular basis, so on a personal level, have that diversity in our daily lives, but they don't represent groups here in large concentrations which might affect the community as a whole)

But when in Rome....

(and I haven't ever been to Bill Millers, and haven't been to a Mexican chain in forever, yet I eat out all too frequently)

Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 PM

41 posts, read 108,825 times
Default ???

Moderator cut: inappropriate We don't claim to be New York, Boston, Philadelphia, or even Houston. We don't even want to be like Austin we enjoy life being a little slower, going to Rosario's on a Friday night, going to a barbecue on a saturday, and going to the lake or the park on Sundays. I have lived in a couple of those cities and let me tell you there is no place like home. I love sitting outside in the texas Hill country on a friday night at Grey Moss or even El Chapparal, hint I live out that way, enjoying dinner with some friends and relaxing. A nice firday night in southtown can't be beat either. Back to the subject People pretty much summed it up Family you are better off in San Antonio or one of the surrounding little towns, single Austin probably is the place to be. We in San Antonio enjoying having another different family to add to the melting pot, come down and join us and raise your family with all of ours, you might be suprised at how friendly we are. Good luck on your decision and best of luck to you.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-02-2008 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: No personal attacks per ToS... we may "attack" the ideas (politely of course)... but we do not attack the person.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
5Fingaz, I think you should move to California. I understand how you feel. I really do. But I think it is a bit of a stretch to say San Antonio has no culture. You know, the alamo wasn't built and still standing in this city for nothing. I think San Antonio has alot of influence from mexican culture. I mean sure, it's not as diverse as Los Angeles or San Francisco but the city has alot going for it.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Every place has something to offer, even if another place has more.
I agree completely, and I guess that this quote sums it up. San Antonio is an okay place to live if you have had access to more, but now want fewer choices. (I don't know why someone would want that, but from reading these posts, some do.) Austin has no more choices in my opinion; they're just different choices, and more "Californian" in the neat, clean, suburban sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio