Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

I think it's the whip like tail with the spikey barb on the end! Spidery legs! Evil Eyes etc. The Ouch factor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
OK..so it seems to be the "sneak" factor. I get it.

But, once you see the scorpion...why the fear?
You know...after 30 years in Texas and NOT seeing one ever...not even outside, seeing my first one in my sons bedroom just flipped me out. It was sort of like that "invisible force field" had been compromised! That was my initial fear.....but then that faded for me. The fear for me is NOT seeing them....I'll happily stomp one to death if one invades my space again. They are welcome to live in the rocks outside.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 PM

188 posts, read 616,141 times
I agree with wCat - it's the fear of NOT seeing them! Bees, they make a nice warning buzzing noise, and really they're kind of cute (well, cartoon bees are) and I see their value to the environment. I am afraid of bees, but I figure one can't sneak up on me because I hear it buzzing.

Scorpies, well, you can be sitting on your couch and look over and there, on the side of the couch, just sitting there watching Lost with you, is a silent scorpion - all sneaky and skittery... you had no warning... BLEAH! It's that they are CREEPY and ALIEN!

And then once I see one - I go into caveman mode and my body screams "run hide escape" so I panic. Not rational, but true.

I used to be way more scared of spiders than I am now - I used to go to the Butterfly Pavilion and Insect Center in CO all the time with the kids, and seeing the creepy crawlies all the time did desensitize me a bit. I guess I need to make a scorpion my computer wallpaper and just get used to the image so when I do see one, my primevial instincts don't kick in and I can be calm!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Put on your big shoes, and stomp the hell out of that sucker. It'll make a nice CRUNCH.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 PM

824 posts, read 457,930 times
I agree with you 100% Momz!!!! I am just waiting to step on one on my midnight trek to the bathroom! outside they are wonderful lil guys.....inside its war!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
At my house they die even if they are outside. They will eventually make their way inside your house.

Anyone ever seen the momma scorpion with all the babies on her back?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Imagine my horror several years ago when my oldest son was about 10. I opened the freezer one day only to find a ziploc baggie filled with......SCORPIONS!! His plan was to catch and freeze the entire population of them, and then do I don't know what??? Have a BBQ? Who knows what goes through a boy's mind?

He could kill bees with his bare hands, too. He was handy to have around most of the time!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:51 AM

188 posts, read 616,141 times
Ooooh Sapphire - the HORROR - although you could've made a scorpion stew (NOT).

And thanks, TxTrkgrl - I'm looking forward to those nightmares... LOL

This thread is like a halloween thread! It's freaking me out but I keep coming back....

Old 09-26-2008, 06:52 AM

139 posts, read 363,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzillajen View Post

This thread is like a halloween thread! It's freaking me out but I keep coming back....
I so agree with you here about this thread! I have heevie jeevies reading it, but it is very educational to me since I have only been in TX for 2 months, and would FREAK if I saw one!
I agree that is is the fear of NOT seeing it that gets people scared silly. I also think the *deadly* reputation of the scorpion is the fear that people cant get over. At least for those (like myself and others I know) that have never lived in an area that they also live. I didnt know they were not "get stung by one and you're a gonner" little devils until I read more about them on threads here on CD.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
These look like the type we get at our house all the time. We just found a tiny one recently, about half inch long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio