Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 AM

148 posts, read 502,673 times

Advertisements

I'm actually indepedent but tend to support more liberals than conservatives.
About the military, I rather stay away from bases because I used to live close to one when I was younger and we would only go there to go clubbing and see some girls, add to that my political views.

I had visited San Antonio only 1 time (last year) and last Friday I had an interview with a company located close the airport.
I had noticed the bases, but I'm guessing I stayed in a hotel where soldiers stay, because almost everybody I talked to is or was in the army.

How much does the army influence the culture in San Antonio?
Does it seem like most people in San Antonio are or used to be in the army?
Or is it just a small percentage of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM

148 posts, read 502,673 times
I found a thread that talks about it
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html

Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,800,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post
About the military, I rather stay away from bases because I used to live close to one when I was younger and we would only go there to go clubbing and see some girls, add to that my political views.

I had visited San Antonio only 1 time (last year) and last Friday I had an interview with a company located close the airport.
I had noticed the bases, but I'm guessing I stayed in a hotel where soldiers stay, because almost everybody I talked to is or was in the army.

It's more than a small percentage. It's not only Army...but Air Force as well. Lots of Air Force. This is a military town...always will be.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,329,207 times
Definitely not a good attitude to have for this city. You should look at something like Austin or san francisco.

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain the military is the largest employer in this city and the city would not be what it is today if it wasn't for its military heritage.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 AM

45 posts, read 393,638 times
The reason so many military were in the hotels is due to that every base in San Antonio serves as some sort of training facility. Also, military amputees and burn victims are flown in from all over the country to recieve treatment at Brooke Army Medical Center.

Fort Sam Houston: Training base for all the combat oriented medics for the Army, the Marines, and the Air Force. It is the official Army Combat Medic training facility and there is a Marine Corps presence with the training facility. Wilford Hall and BAMC fall under the Fort Sam Houston jurisdiction. It is also the primary induction (MEPS) facility for most of Texas.

Randolph Air Force Base: Training center for USAF pilots. Many of the up and coming Air Force officers come through this base at some point in their career.

Lackland Air Force Base: Serves as a USAF basic training facility. It serves other purposes, but is set up to function primarily as a basic training and processing facility for the USAF.

The Federal gvt. presence is as follows:

Drug Enforcement Agency: There is a DEA facility here which deals with the flow of illegal substances through San Antonio, which happens to be a major corridor for marijuana, cocaine, and meth.

Federal Bureau of Investigations: The South, West, and East Texas districts of the FBI are based and managed from the Bureau offices located in San Antonio. There is also a FBI recruiting office located here.

National Security Agency: The NSA will soon begin construction on a listening post that will be employing several thousand agents and support staff. It will likely be placed on the southside of San Antonio. This post has been legitamized by the threat of terrorist intrusion from Mexico. Similar NSA posts will be or already have been placed in Southern California and along the populated areas of the Canadian border.

In addition to the listed bases/federal offices, there is a biological research facility in San Antonio. It is one of three (possibly five, can't remember for sure) institutions in the United States that are authorized for high level biological threat testing. That means Anthrax, Ebola, Killer Influenza strains, AIDS, etc.

This is a great city to work and raise a family in, but to be frank, San Antonio is at the top of the government list of cities most likely to be targeted in the event of a nuclear attack.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,332,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post

SA is home to not only active military, but a LOT of retirees. Many of the trainees have to travel, so seeing a lot near the airport only makes sense.
If your political views somehow color your opinion about our military personnel in such an offensive manner, then this town may not be for you. You'd never know you might be sitting near one of "them" in plain clothes at a restaurant some night.

I find it tragic that a "political" stance would somehow cause an individual to be opposed to the very people that protect your freedom to dislike them. It makes no sense.

A good suggestion might be that you get to know a few of the fine people that serve this country to erase some of your fears.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM

43 posts, read 95,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
SA is home to not only active military, but a LOT of retirees. Many of the trainees have to travel, so seeing a lot near the airport only makes sense.
If your political views somehow color your opinion about our military personnel in such an offensive manner, then this town may not be for you. You'd never know you might be sitting near one of "them" in plain clothes at a restaurant some night.

I find it tragic that a "political" stance would somehow cause an individual to be opposed to the very people that protect your freedom to dislike them. It makes no sense.

A good suggestion might be that you get to know a few of the fine people that serve this country to erase some of your fears.
ditto- and stop hanging around military guys to pick up dates

Old 09-28-2008, 03:29 PM

580 posts, read 1,427,267 times
As a UTSA prof, I have taught many former and active-duty soldiers, and they are consistently some of my favorite students.

Also, the last I heard (and this may have changed), Obama was beating McCain in terms of donations from active-duty military. Don't assume too much about a person's moral or political position just because they choose to enlist!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,329,207 times
I'm wondering who would employ someone that shallow. Their only hope is to break into hollywood or get a job with some of the major media outlets.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:01 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,272,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
As a UTSA prof, I have taught many former and active-duty soldiers, and they are consistently some of my favorite students.

Also, the last I heard (and this may have changed), Obama was beating McCain in terms of donations from active-duty military. Don't assume too much about a person's moral or political position just because they choose to enlist!
I would like to say something similar. I was raised in a military family. My father served in the USAF for 30-something years, as did my Grandfather (not his dad, but on my mom's side) and he retired a USAF Lt. Colonel. Yes, both my father and my grandfather were politically conservative.

I think that has a lot more to do with their generation/age/background than their military service though. They were just both raised in conservative, religious households, and both had fairly rural, very traditional backgrounds. My father came from a VERY LONG line of conservative clergy members, in fact, and texas landholders/ranchers and the like. My grandfather was raised in a similar background, in Montana.

Many of my friends are military or ex-military or were, like me, raised as military "brats" and there is a wide range of political beliefs among both service members and dependents. In fact, 2 of my closest friends were in the service (or their spouses were) and they're both politically very liberal.. another close friend's father is retired Air Force, like my own father was, but he is absolutely not conservative in the slightest, although he's close to my father in age (well, my father is deceased but you know what I mean). My best friend's recent ex- husband is still active duty AF, and her father was in the AF, and the entire family (her, her ex, her dad, her mom, her brothers and sisters, etc) is very politically left-leaning, and very active in the local Democratic party.

People have varying reasons for choosing to join the service and they are as varied as people are themselves. It's really foolish to paint them all with one brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio