Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 AM

460 posts, read 1,876,799 times

Advertisements

Situation in brief:
Married, 2 kids under 4, stay-at-home mom. Born and raised and spent whole live (except undergrad) in Maryland suburbs of D.C. Just sold townhome in Maryland with intent of buying a SFH in this market. Staying in a relatives' condo during transition. Only child of parents entering 70s, my kids are their only grandkids.

Husband - born in L.A., raised in San Antonio, whole family is still there, left at age 18 to join US Navy. 2 sisters and their children/families live within 1 hr. of S.A. Mother is entering 70s, hubby is feeling itch to return "home." Has good job here, could likely get a good job there. IN the consulting/engineering construction field.

In sum, we don't have a house to sell right now, our children are not in school, and if we want to move, now is the time to do it. My biggest issue - and his too - is being so far from MY parents at this stage of their lives and taking the grandkids "away." They are not open at this time to moving to Texas with us, which doesn't surprise me. Even though it can get dang nasty here in Maryland in the summer, they are most definitely NOT heat people and would not be able to tolerate the heat in Texas for 6- 8 months out of the year. Beyond these issues, I'd like to hear from those in the know -

1) pros and cons of living in S.A.
2) my hubby is Mexican, I am white. We do not speak spanish. Is this going to be a daily issue. When we visit, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but I've read that is can be a problem on this forum.
3) Job market -- the fed govt is the biggest employer in THIS area (and despite the current criss, it will never allow itself to go out of business) - I'm worried about moving there and the lack of sustainable work. I heard Toyota already laid off it's plant after just opening it??
4) cost - of - living.

We are used to sky high property taxes up here but what about the cost of the actual house? What are good neighborhoods for new construction and schools? know Northwest ISD is the way to go, I'm told. . .
But what about outside S.A> city limits - does that help with taxes? Cibolo, Bourne, any suggestions?
Sure the Dominion would be my first choice ( ha ha ha. . .)

5) I am currently a public school teacher on leave to stay home. I'm thinking of transitioning to a nursing career. what are the opportunities for a) study down there (I already have my bachelors and Masters so I only need abou 5 required science classes before applyingn to any RN clinical program) and b) work opportunities post-graduation.

6) anything else you can think of that would be good to know before making a possible transcontinental (basically) move.

Thanks for all the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM

45 posts, read 393,880 times
With the situation you describe, I think the biggest issue for you would be the family issue with your parents not wanting you to leave and not wanting to leave with you.

Concerning your other points, let's address them numerically.

1. Pros and cons. I don't know your opinions so my pros may be your cons.
2. Spanish speaking: I am white. I don't speak much Spanish and have never found it a hinderance, even when dating hispanic women. Even though Spanish language and culture is a huge part of San Antonio, I think it is a very big misconception of San Antonio that you must speak Spanish. In fact, many people think of that typical stereotype where the little 8 year old grandchild has to translate for the rest of her family. It really isn't like that throughout the city as a whole.
3. Job market: There are numerous facilities for medical field training, and as a nurse you should be able to find plenty of work once you decide to go back to work. As an example the University of Texas Health Science Center is located in the heart of San Antonio's "medical district". In addition, there are several major hospitals, and numerous independant doctors' offices located throughout the city.

And Toyota didn't pull the plug on the factory, it's just on hiatus until the truck market comes back. Which might mean it is done for, but not just yet.

4. Cost of living shouldn't be a problem. My father and two sisters live in New Jersey. Assuming the Maryland (D.C. area) is anything like the Jersey housing market, you can get a house that would cost you $350,000 in Jersey for about $150,000-$180,000 in San Antonio. Property taxes aren't so bad, just stay away from the areas like Alamo Heights and Windcrest. Things are really growing around the North/Northwest Loop 1604 area.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
¿Qué ella está diciendo? ¿Qué lengua extraña es ésta? Pare por favor, él está lastimando mis oídos.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM

45 posts, read 393,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
¿Qué ella está diciendo? ¿Qué lengua extraña es ésta? Pare por favor, él está lastimando mis oídos.
lol. I said I don't speak "much" Spanish. Not any at all. Si desea evitar que el oído dammage de Inglés, pruebe los tapones de oído.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Oui doughnt kneed know stinkin' RAVENS fanz!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,673 times
well most people speak english and a lot of people also speak spanglish as a second language. the government is also a large employer here. and your parent should buy a small house and stay here 6 months out of the year during the fall and winter and return to ne during the summer. just to see if they like it here

Old 09-29-2008, 01:52 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,799 times
Thanks for the replies and direct emails. I appreciate it and hope to hear more. My husband and I have had numerous serious talks and are continuing to debate it; I've told him what he decides is good for us, we'll do. So I am open-minded to doing it. I like San Antonio from the visits we've had over the years. . .

and to firstclassflyer -- you got the wrong team I root for in this area. . ya know which one I'm talkin' about -the one beat your butt yesterday on national TV?? So sad that the Redskins won in the last Cowboys-Redskins match up in the old stadium (sigh). . .Maybe Romo will get Jessica out of his head for just one game this season??

AND TAYK A FONIKS KLAZ ASAP

Old 09-29-2008, 02:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
Thanks for the replies and direct emails. I appreciate it and hope to hear more. My husband and I have had numerous serious talks and are continuing to debate it; I've told him what he decides is good for us, we'll do. So I am open-minded to doing it. I like San Antonio from the visits we've had over the years. . .

and to firstclassflyer -- you got the wrong team I root for in this area. . ya know which one I'm talkin' about -the one beat your butt yesterday on national TV?? So sad that the Redskins won in the last Cowboys-Redskins match up in the old stadium (sigh). . .Maybe Romo will get Jessica out of his head for just one game this season??

AND TAYK A FONIKS KLAZ ASAP
Eye em a Jiyants fan. Frum Knew Yawk orijinullee

Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM

64 posts, read 180,196 times
I moved from Maryland about a year ago and I don't speak Spanish and it's not a problem at all.
Housing here is MUCH different, the only drawback I've found to housing is the lack of storage space and garages don't actually fit the number of cars they're supposed to (2 car garage is 1 car + outside storage), but those factors may just be with the limited amount of houses I saw when we were looking around. Overall, housing options are great.
The property taxes here don't scare me, but the sales tax does a little until I remember there's no income tax.
Oh, and I'm still holding onto my Redskins season tickets because I don't want to have to go back on the waiting list if we move back.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,619 times
Just covering a few topics:

4)You mentioned "northwest" school district - there isn't one by that name.

The school districts that are preferred are Northside (NISD) Northeast (NEISD) Boerne, Schertz-Cibolo (smaller, but I only hear great things about it) Comal (more rural - north of SA)

Where you want to live depends on where the jobs are and what your lifestyle is. The North side has great neighborhoods and great schools. Stone Oak (the 281 N/1604 area) is congested and will get more congested. It appears that two upcoming areas are to the West - Alamo Ranch area and the East - Cibolo/Schertz. Not to discount any older neighborhoods in the other areas, because there are many.

With your cost of living decreasing substantially by living here you can afford to visit MD or fly your parents here.

5) Opportunities for nursing school are great. UTSA has a school of nursing, and I know there are many others in SA. Then the medical areas are also large - which would offer a large job base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio