Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 PM

170 posts, read 595,319 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible opportunity that would have my wife needing to be relatively close to Metropolitan Methodist and Santa Rosa Hospitals.

I'd like recommendations for a very nice neighborhood within maybe a ten-mile radius of the hospitals. We'd prefer a largish newer home but are willing to compromise on age if we have to. I'm not sure of our budget, but let's say $500,000 for this discussion. I've read about Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, and Olmos Park, but those areas seem awfully overpriced. We're coming from Chicago and would love to find something with great value compared to where we live now.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 37,891,455 times
I immediately thought of Monte Vista, which is very close to Methodist, but it's similar to those areas you've ruled out.

Those areas you've mentioned have many large older homes. Is that the kind of place you're looking to find or would you prefer a newer area?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I immediately thought of Monte Vista, which is very close to Methodist, but it's similar to those areas you've ruled out.

Those areas you've mentioned have many large older homes. Is that the kind of place you're looking to find or would you prefer a newer area?
Thanks for your reply. I guess I shouldn't say we've ruled out the areas I mentioned. I just don't want to pay $250/sq ft for a home, and it was my impression that the nicer homes there cost that much or more.

We would like a newer home or at least a very well updated home. I'm not sure I want to tackle a major remodel at this stage in our lives. Whatever it is, we want a nice, safe area.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 37,891,455 times
I see now that I overlooked the phrase "largish newer" in your original post. With a 10 mile upper limit and an interest in homes of that size/age, you're probably going to want to focus on the North Central area along Loop 1604 and between IH-10 and IH-35. Most of the newer development in the North Central area is along 281 and north of 1604. That area is generally referred to in the forum as Stone Oak. The drawback to living along 281 and north of 1604 is traffic. Search the forum for "Stone Oak" and "traffic" and you'll see hundreds of posts about how bad the traffic is there for a daily commute. If you're used to a long commute in a larger city, you'll probably consider the traffic from Stone Oak to be minor compared to where you came from.

A few of us in the forum live in the North Central area and south of 1604. This area has fewer traffic issues. There are plenty of nice homes, built in the last decade within 1604. You'll have trouble finding brand new subdivisions in this area, but there are plenty of quality neighborhoods to choose from in your price range.

You might also want to consider Shavano Park. It's on the western edge of the area I defined above as North Central.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 PM

So many things to consider. Well, I guess that's why God invented real estate agents!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 PM

824 posts, read 1,804,534 times
These neighborhoods are actually much less expensive than comparable neighborhoods in Dallas, Houston, and Austin. I'm surprised that you think these SA neighborhoods are overpriced, especially relative to Chicago.

You're going to have a hard time finding recently-updated single-family homes in these neighborhoods for less than $250/sf (although there are newly constructed condos/townhomes available for a bit less).

You could maybe go to Oakwell Farms, but that's probably at the limit of your geographical range.

Welcome to SA, and good luck.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 AM

I see I need a bit of attitude adjustment.

So let me rethink this. Forget my above criteria, except for the 10-mile radius thing. Where's the best place to live for around $500K? And if you don't mind, what do you think that will get us? I've tooled around zillow.com and elsewhere, but it's hard to get a really good sense of the neighborhoods and homes without actually being there.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,760,733 times
Then hop on a plane...see for yourself. There's no better way.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM

824 posts, read 1,804,534 times
Edubya -

I live in Monte Vista, and love it. I believe it to contain the finest architecture in SA, and it's a great mix of lots of different types of folks (though I generally loathe the word "diversity"). It also has coffee shops, restaurants, and boutiques, most within walking distance of our house. From a pure convenience standpoint, it's easily the best neighborhood for you. You ought to be able to find a 2,500sf house for less than $500K that's in really fine condition.

Downside: there are fewer families with young children in our neighborhood, and those families that are here generally send their kids to private school ($$$). Property taxes have gotten really aggressive lately. And petty crime (in 6.5 years here, I've had a car stereo and lawnmower stolen) can be a problem, though it's absolutely a safe place and the neighbors tend to really look out for one another.

If you're willing to take a little less square footage, or pay a bit more (maybe $50/sf), you could find something in Olmos Park, which is in AHISD.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,496,804 times
I would second Monte Vista and Olmos Park, although you may have to up your range a tad bit to get a fully recently updated home.

There are some new construction places in these older neighborhoods, but they tend to be custom built individual properties - Lavaca has a handful right now, would be under 500K, but in those cases the owners had the land first then contracted the new build.

King William has a few places in your price range, but they're not going to be very large if you want fully updated. Worth a look though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio