Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:50 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
Given that the median income in AH is probably about $70k now, you have to ask yourself 1. How many jobs in San Antonio pay more than $70k? Less than 10%.
I'm sure you have figures to back that claim up?

Quote:
2. How many blacks and Hispanics in SA hold jobs with salaries over $70k? Not many.
Stats?

Quote:
But isn't it interesting that in a city with a 65% Hispanic population, the "rich" part of town is 80% white?
Alamo Heights is a very small, very small "rich" part of town. And its basically old money people.

Quote:
I know it would be extremely difficult for me to earn six figures here, because more than likely the job would go to someone white.
Oh please stop it. It will go to the most qualified person not the lightest skinned applicant.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Median house value: $198,800 (year 2000)

//www.city-data.com/city/Alamo-Heights-Texas.html

Please use stats and links that are verifiable when posting such claims.

Thanks
No problem.

"Prices in Alamo Heights surged 22 percent last year, reaching an average $438,096 for a single-family home, SABOR said."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/realestate/stories/MYSA012107.1D.innerburbs.11ea695.html (broken link)

Old 02-11-2007, 04:55 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
No problem.

"Prices in Alamo Heights surged 22 percent last year, reaching an average $438,096 for a single-family home, SABOR said."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/realestate/stories/MYSA012107.1D.innerburbs.11ea695.html (broken link)
Thank you ever so kindly.

The prices are outstanding.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:12 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,669 times
Quote:
I'm sure you have figures to back that claim up?
I don't need figures. It has been documented that salaries paying more than $80k are only 2% of available jobs here.

Quote:
Stats??
Don't need stats. If ~10% of jobs pay more than $70k, it doesn't take a genius to figure out a very small percentage of those with be black or Hispanic.

Quote:
Oh please stop it. It will go to the most qualified person not the lightest skinned applicant.
The point is that many companies here do not have any incentives to promote high qualified minorities. Racism or not, it's just the way it is.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I don't need figures. It has been documented that salaries paying more than $80k are only 2% of available jobs here.

Don't need stats. If ~10% of jobs pay more than $70k, it doesn't take a genius to figure out a very small percentage of those with be black or Hispanic.
You don't need stats to prove your claims? Ok.

Quote:
The point is that many companies here do not have any incentives to promote high qualified minorities. Racism or not, it's just the way it is.
I didn't know one needed incentive to promote the most quailifed. Dumb me for thinking everything is based around skin color.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Thank you ever so kindly.

The prices are outstanding.
Wrong. Median and mean (average) are totally different figures!

Median price means half fall above/half fall below $200k. Average is every house value divided by the number of houses.

Median gives a better figure. So if in 2000 median prices were $200k, they are around $225-240k now (don't know how houses appreciate there).

Old 02-12-2007, 01:31 AM

I also think a lot of black people (who grew up in older generations) are really afraid of the police. Now, I've never been...I don't do drugs and have nothing really to be afraid of. I drive a nice car but I'm no hoodlum.

Looking at stats in AH of blacks being pulled over and searched, I'd say this probably contributes to their fear. Now me? hahaha I'll drive through AH all day and wait for someone to pull me over...but they likely never will.

Another factor is how out of place they probably feel. Like me in that bank and golf shop...being the only inkspot, it was obvious my kind wasn't welcome, and all eyes were on me. Some people really can't look beyond race, even when they see someone of equal status, if they be a minority, they're looked down upon.

Will this stop me from going in any AH establishments if I need to? Hell no! If anything, this makes me want to frequent them more! Well not really, but my point is that to most blacks, this may be a turnoff.

Last edited by LongHornGuy86; 02-12-2007 at 01:41 AM..

Old 02-12-2007, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,197 times
I'm currently relocating from the UK to San Antonio and have been dealing with a number of realtors. All have suggested the Alamo Heights district to me. Not one has asked the colour of my skin or my ethnic background .......Their suggestions have been based on my educational, previous employment and personal interests. I will be attending UTSA to study for my Doctorate so location is important. I own my home in the UK where the average price for a 3 bedroom/1 bathroom property is $400K. I enjoy cooking, needlework and going to the gym. I would politely suggest to you that the prejudice is based purely on a perceived class or social structure and not on colour, if there is any at all. I think it more likely that it is simply a case of work hard, earn your money and afford the home. Isn't that supposed to be what America represents?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,244 times
Welcome to San Antonio, I am also from England and love it here.
Totally agree with what you wrote, we are a mixed race couple and we live in North Central SA.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Knowing this, San Antonio is not the place for me, being a high acheiving black male. I know it would be extremely difficult for me to earn six figures here, because more than likely the job would go to someone white. What incentive do corporations here have to promote qualified minorities? None.
UTSASTUD......I think you could do it! Actually, you might not need San Antonio, but maybe this city needs you! What a great role model you would be for other blacks in this city! I think you have a lot of spunk and energy....and if you channel it in a positive way, you just might change that %age here. David Robinson and Tim Duncan have been great champions developing the Carver Center and black culture in San Antonio to encourage open arms among the citizens here. I see you working right along side of them in some capacity.
As a woman who has had to reinvent herself , I feel that glass ceiling in being a sole proprietor of my business. That's just universal no matter where I would live......so I can understand some of your frustrations. Here in SA, affirmative action has hurt me because I am not a "minority" PLUS I'm female. The truth is...the Hispanic population is the majority here......so in this region I actually am in the "minority". My category is white/female/over 40.....and that doesn't help my odds of being successful. But...instead of being angry and wanting to get even.....I take each bump in the road head on and accept the challenge.
It's not easy.....but I'm actually making a difference in small ways.

UTSASTUD.....think about it. Six figures is nice, but what do you want to accomplish in life? Success measured in $$ or making the world a better place? I think you have what it takes to do both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio