Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times

Advertisements

The only thing you might want to keep in the back of your head is that if you move into a newly built house, you may have some scorpions for the first few years. They love fresh wood.

Other than the Brown-Wolf spider, there is nothing here really that is much of a threat, except maybe diabetes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 PM

181 posts, read 611,454 times
We built in a new construction area and hired pest control the month before we moved in. They spray outside perimeter and treat the grass every three months and spray inside every year and a half (I don't like the pest control near our kids or we'd do it more often).

We've seen one scorpion in our laundry room and one in our garage. We had a gecko in our garage and I think we've seen two roaches. That's it! We did have a wolf spider earlier this year as well.

Sometimes we'll get earwigs by our doors/walls.

Outside: fire ants, snake (not poisonous), skunk, armadillo, and lots of stray dogs.

The stray dogs worry me the most.

ETA: We've been here just over two years now.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM

288 posts, read 926,488 times
We have lived in the dead center of the city and on the northwest side of town in new construction. When we lived close into the city we had snakes on our back porch all the time. We even found a snake bed/nest in the fireplace clean-out door in the back of the house. That was the creepiest thing! We also had wood roaches, june bugs and spiders. Outside, in addition to the snakes, we had opossums and squirrels. When we lived on the northwest side of town in new construction we had scorpions in side and out. Our cat was bit by a rattlesnake, we found two other grass snakes and our neighbors found a baby rattler in their yard. Pretty much all of our neighbors had a snake in the yard at one time or another. Every night there were coyotes behind the house. Since there weren't any large trees in the subdivision there were no squirrel or bird problems. We are beginning construction on a home out at Medina Lake, and I am expecting to see the same ole things out there. My husbands parents have lived on 10 acres in Bandera for over 30 years, and we saw more snakes at our home in the city than they have seen out in the country in all those years.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 908 times
I am from California, and am wanting to move to New Braunfels area, my husband is a contractor here but wants to come there and just work for someone in construction feild. How are job oppurtunities there or surrounding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio