Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 37,761 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just moved to TX and found an OB who delivers at Metropolitan Methodist Hospital, Baptist Medical Center and Christus Santa Rosa. I was wondering if anyone had any input on those partiticular hospitals, so I wont have to go have walk throughs in each. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
I gave birth at Christus Santa Rosa (planned a homebirth, had to transfer due to fetal distress, so I didn't exactly choose the hospital). Though our NICU experience was quite good, and I loved my OB there, I'd have to say it was just ok. It was a unique sort of experience so I'm not sure what it'd be like for a normal birth. L&D rooms are private but post-partum rooms are shared. There was virtually no one there while I was there so that wasn't an issue. I just wasn't thrilled with the nursing staff for a variety of reasons, but that may have been due to our particular situation.

I've had surgery at Metropolitan Methodist, and overall that experience was ok. I think their birthing rooms/post-partum center are supposed to be great, but I didn't see them. I've been to the ER there 2x and it was horrid, but most ERs leave a lot to be desired so I'm not sure how well that reflects on the OB ward.

Though I know staff at Baptist, I can't really comment on the birthing aspect.

I do recommend taking a walk through at each. Probably Methodist is the nicest of the three in terms of looks, but the key will be the nursing staff (moreso than the OB), because they are who will make your experience good or bad.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks for your input... I appreciate your help

Old 10-07-2008, 04:23 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
I'll add that one of the things to consider when asking around is what kind of experience is important to you. For example, do you want a birthing tub? "Natural" environment (ie able to have music), what's the C-section rate for your OB? What's the hospital policy, if any, regarding c-section/labor time/labor activities? That is, are you required to have an IV, if so, can you still walk around? How are the nursery nurses? Do they allow rooming in (baby sleeping with you?) Are they breastfeeding supportive in that they'll NOT formula feed if you say you don't want them to?

none of those things may matter to you (and that's ok!), those are just examples I can think of...you may have others, of things to consider about each hospital. One person may find a particular hospital a great experience and the other may hate it despite the exact same care. They just have different needs/wants.

So I'd suggest thinking about any issues you might have and ask specifically about those.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM

20 posts, read 119,159 times
I delivered at Metropolitan Methodist July of 07 and I have to say my stay was great. I remember all the staff being friendly and kind. The second night my nurse even offered to take my son to the nursery for a few hours so that my husband and I could get some sleep. The baby's do sleep with you otherwise. They are also very supportive when it comes to breastfeeding. The OR (I had a c-section), post partum and private rooms were clean and quiet. Overall I would have to say that I had no complaints about my stay. I'm currrently pregnant with my 3rd child and will be delivering at Metro again in 09.
I would call and see if you can get a tour with the 3 hospitals downtown.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM

wow, thanks for both your inputs... I appreciate all you said. I will def see what each hospital has to offer compared to what I want in a hospital. Mari, were the rooms private? was there a birthing tub, or a tub to prebirth in??? it helped with my last delivery...

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 119,159 times
I had a private room, but I had to pay upfront to get it, I beleive it was $200 or less I don't remember. But it was well worth it, very spacious. These rooms are located on the second floor.
As for the delivery rooms and post partum room, the delivery rooms I belive are also private, at least the ones I saw. Since I had a scheduled c-section I was taken straight to the post partum room (which is not private but there are curtains to separate each bed) before I went to the OR. These are located on the 1st floor.

As far as a birthing tub I'm not sure since like I said the c-section was scheduled. I'm sure when you call or go on your tour they will give you all that info.
Good Luck!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 PM

109 posts, read 517,979 times
I had a very positive experience at North East Baptist. The birthing room was very calm and serene, dim lights felt very much like a nice hotel room. The recovery room was a typical hospital room but the birthing and recovering rooms are both private. I think I met around 10 or so nurses/etc and really liked each and every one of them. I felt safe and confident that myself and my baby would be very well taken care of throughout the delivery and recovery. FYI: There are no birthing tubs at the NE location. My OB was with Women Partners, which I also highly recommend, is located next to the NE Baptist. Congratulations on the baby

Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,461 times
I do not recommend NE Baptist, they took my baby to the nursery for over 3 hours and refused to bring her back despite my repeated requests to see her. There was no medical reason for keeping her there. They fed her formula after my repeated requests not to. They kept trying to take her from my room the following 24 hours we were there and put her in the nursery rather than allow her to room in and breastfeed. The delivery nurses were great but the delivery doctor on call was horrible (came from Womens Institute not my usual OB) and the peds nurses were so bad we had to call supervisors to get them to stop making mistakes (like coughing on newborns and not washing hands).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio