Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

My son is 16 and has his first job, but I am concerned with the amount of hours he's working /scheduled to work (too much, too late in the evening). He is going to talk to them about his schedule but if they won't work with him by reducing hours or at least putting more hours on the weekend schedule and less during the week, I will most likely insist he quit or look for something else.

I always had jobs in high school but I usually worked 3 (rarely 4) hours max each day, or later on when I was in the high school work program I left school at 2 and worked from 2:30 to 7:30 but still got off early enough for other responsibilities. It was easier as I had my own car and the job was mellow and left lots of time for studying on-the-clock (and it was allowed).

Anyway, it seems like fewer places these days are willing to hire 16 year olds compared to when I was that age. I am hoping the SA CD folks might know of places / employers that DO hire 16 year old kids and are willing to give them something like 15 hours a week, or at least fewer hours on school days.

So I'm looking for places that you know of that hire at this age and respect the educational needs of their teenage employees.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:41 AM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
My oldest is 16, and has had a heck of a time finding a job. Most of the places she has asked so far said she needed to be 17 to apply. (mainly retail stores) One store told us that the curfew laws make employers reluctant to hire kids in school. I am not sure if that's completely true or not, but I don't think it helps. I had jobs in high school, but went to school back East, where kids go to school much earlier in the day. (7am-2pm)

Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
My oldest is 16, and has had a heck of a time finding a job. Most of the places she has asked so far said she needed to be 17 to apply. (mainly retail stores) One store told us that the curfew laws make employers reluctant to hire kids in school. I am not sure if that's completely true or not, but I don't think it helps. I had jobs in high school, but went to school back East, where kids go to school much earlier in the day. (7am-2pm)
Hmm. I'm not sure about the curfew law thing. I think that if you are on your way home from work the curfew law doesn't apply? Not sure on that but I know that's how it was in my hometown (that had a curfew)...

I thought maybe it was a labor law issue but apparently there is no time restriction or limit on hours once you're sixteen in Texas so that's not it either.

Frustrating though huh? Does she like kids? Can she babysit? I did a lot of babysitting before getting "regular" jobs and it wasn't bad. My son can't stand it.. he's babysat enough with his younger siblings and is not exactly fond of children in the first place (swears he's never having any).

Oh, I just remembered something; Jack in the Box hires 16 year olds. Not sure at at all how they are about hours and such though.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Taco Cabana and Whataburger will hire 15 year olds.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 PM

54 posts, read 69,668 times
Bill Miller's is very flexible with their schedules and tend to accommodate high schoolers. Same with McDonald's from what I understand. HEB would be another option.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times
HEB would be the best option because they have so many employees, the can afford to limit the hours your kid gets. I worked there out of HS for a bit and they were very flexible for the HSers. Also, the curfew law doesn't apply if you are a kid coming home from work.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
HEB would be the best option because they have so many employees, the can afford to limit the hours your kid gets. I worked there out of HS for a bit and they were very flexible for the HSers. Also, the curfew law doesn't apply if you are a kid coming home from work.
I'm going to strongly suggest that for him. I wonder if he can have his "crazy hair"? No biggie if not.. just curious. Plus if he could get hired at the one by the house he could bike it.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times
Yeah, from past posts I think the one that is right off commerce a block away from Zarzamora would be ideal.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
a co-workers daughter works at HEB. She likes it because they let her work on the weekends only if that is what she wants.

I don't know how much he wants to work, but sometimes her daughter only works 4 hours a week.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
a co-workers daughter works at HEB. She likes it because they let her work on the weekends only if that is what she wants.

I don't know how much he wants to work, but sometimes her daughter only works 4 hours a week.
Well HE would work 30 hours if I would let him. He's got $$ in his eyes and wants to save for a car and this and that....

However, as his mom, and knowing him and his limitations, I'd prefer 15 hours a week max. He'll get sleep deprived and cranky and so forth and we don't need that. Plus he's going to realize soon enough how it sux when your friends are doing stuff and you never can go (he already missed 1st Friday and was annoyed about it)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio