Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times

Advertisements

Do I need to consult a real estate agent?

I have looked online for homes in my area for rent, to see what they're renting for, but I haven't found much at all available that is comparable in size.

I see houses around with for rent signs so I can call about those, but overall I'm trying to figure out what we could expect to rent our house out for if we chose to do so.

I know that we probably won't do it for a year or more but I'm still curious. Should I just ask a real estate agent? I've found many are clueless about my neighborhood though and think it's "bad" or whatever.

The house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with eat-in kitchen, large dining (that we use as a living area), and smaller front "parlor", big front porch, built around 1916, and fully fenced yard (well it would be by the time we rented it, right now it's missing a section) with gated driveway, shed, 2 huge pecan trees, and a covered back porch as well, and exterior freshly painted right before we bought it. Approximately 1200 sf. Window unit a/c, gas and electric heat (your choice, lol), and gas water heater and cooking. I was thinking between $700 and $800. Any guesstimates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
Depending on the neighborhood, it could go for 900 to 1200. It also depends on the market in a year. the current economy has driven rentals up. In a year it may be more stable and be down somewhat. In any event, a house like that ought to be about 1000, give or take. the area itself and the street it is on make a difference. Only my guess. I have rentals and price them according to what the market will bear.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Depending on the neighborhood, it could go for 900 to 1200. It also depends on the market in a year. the current economy has driven rentals up. In a year it may be more stable and be down somewhat. In any event, a house like that ought to be about 1000, give or take. the area itself and the street it is on make a difference. Only my guess. I have rentals and price them according to what the market will bear.
Thanks!

I am thinking that if anything, the neighborhood will drag it down some. It's not a bad neighborhood but many people still think it is. It has a leftover bad rep. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about... as Mahnke park had a bad rep for years...

The main difference is, my area isn't all fixed up and pretty yet. It's safe though,and close to downtown, and close to UTSA downtown campus and OLLU and St. Mary's....

Mind if I DM you for some specific questions about renting out a house?

I'm not looking to get rich by any means... I am more concerned about getting AWESOME tenants who won't trash my house than I am worried about money, but I have to cover the mortgage payment and at least end up with a little extra over that to put back for emergency repairs and such, right?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I'd enjoy helping. Mind you, I am not a professional, just experienced. Some good, Some bad. More good than anything. Renting out a house can be stressful, but an asbestos butt cover is the best protection.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM

7 posts, read 24,905 times
They are right. It depends on the area. You could see what everything else is going for then get a good idea of where to start for pricing your own.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barnett View Post
They are right. It depends on the area. You could see what everything else is going for then get a good idea of where to start for pricing your own.
Thanks. What do you think is the best way to find this out? That's the thing. I wasn't able to find much in my area using the usual sources (Craigslist, Realtor.com) and when I drive around didn't see many whole houses for rent at all, just split units (multi family tri-plexes or whatever).

Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
The best way is probably to hire a realtor and pay them for their research on your neighborhood and your house. Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-13-2008 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary & off-topic

Old 10-13-2008, 02:03 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Do I need to consult a real estate agent?

I have looked online for homes in my area for rent, to see what they're renting for, but I haven't found much at all available that is comparable in size.

I see houses around with for rent signs so I can call about those, but overall I'm trying to figure out what we could expect to rent our house out for if we chose to do so.

I know that we probably won't do it for a year or more but I'm still curious. Should I just ask a real estate agent? I've found many are clueless about my neighborhood though and think it's "bad" or whatever.

The house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with eat-in kitchen, large dining (that we use as a living area), and smaller front "parlor", big front porch, built around 1916, and fully fenced yard (well it would be by the time we rented it, right now it's missing a section) with gated driveway, shed, 2 huge pecan trees, and a covered back porch as well, and exterior freshly painted right before we bought it. Approximately 1200 sf. Window unit a/c, gas and electric heat (your choice, lol), and gas water heater and cooking. I was thinking between $700 and $800. Any guesstimates?
FWIW, we've been shopping around for rentals, and I think what might be a negative is that you only have 1 bathroom. That might bring down the rental price a little. The two sites I've been using to search for rentals are realsa.com and rentallsa.com. Maybe those could help you find more comps? If someone is very broad in their search, they can rent a place with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, maybe a pool, a bit farther from downtown for about $1175. Those are the kinds of places we were mostly looking at. Oh, and it's important to us for landlords to allow pets, so if you're flexible on that, you'll have more tenants to choose from. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barnett View Post
HE LIVES!!!!!! Amazing!!!! Where ya been, buddy?

(sorry fierce, for going off-topic for a sec )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio