Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 AM

370 posts, read 878,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I am suprised no one has mentioned Huebner, well we all know it as HEEEbner not HUEbner like I have noticed so many people lately.
Hi,
I am glad you cleared that up! I'd have been blushing over it, I have been reading it as "Youb ner" but its heeee? Not YOU?
Thanks,
Gen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I do apologize about the tool/shed comment. I should have kept that opinion to myself (Incidentally, one can't make racist comments about a city. Not sure what race San Antonio is. And I assume you were referring to my education level--Ph.D. ....
piggyback drifting...

Oh.

I notice that some folk with the doctorate really seem to like to mention so, (preferring to 'not' do that myself, if 'n' when).

undrifting, I do think it is possible to make racist comments about a city because a "city" is not an abstract thing it is a community made up of people.

Gen

Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Hi again Hello! I did the same thing with the pronunciation of "Blanco".....and I don't even speak Spanish......PLUS I'm from Texas!! Most of these names were anglocized a hundred years ago. Many of these streets actually were the main arteries that were stage coach routes to outlying cities. "Blanco" (pronounced "BLANK-o" is one of them.

Other names:
Gruene = "Green"
Boerne = "Burnie"
New Braunfels NOT "New BruanSfels"
San Antonio NOT "San Antone"
HOUSton NOT "Yooston"
Bexar County = "Bear" County
Uvalde = U-Val-de
Helotes = Hell-O-tez

I'm sure there are many more that can be added to the list!
Thanks for this list.
Now the "Huebner" pronunciation makes sense. Houston...Heubner?
Gen

Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Get a map.

Whenever I move to a new city, the first thing I do is get a map and hang it on the wall. Every city, and I mean EVERY CITY has some idiosyncrasies that you have to learn, whether it's how the streets are numbered or named, whether the avenues or streets have any significance (some cities have avenues N-S and streets E-W), etc.

When I moved to San Antonio, the first thing to go on the wall of my apartment was a map. It stayed there for two years because even though I knew the city pretty well after a couple of weeks (thanks to the map) there were always new places to go.

No one is going to straighten out the roads in San Antonio, and they sure as heck aren't going to rename them for you. Look at some of the new subdivisions going up...street names change in the middle of the road if two different developers are right next to each other and the road goes through.

Get a map and deal with it.

If you can't read a map, get a navigation system.
Hello,
This is how my family is too. My folks were born in Chicago, as was I. While my dad still lived here he had a Chicago map. I currently have one on my fridge right now.

My sponsor at BAMC has already sent me a city map of San Antonio.

I think this thread has been useful and helpful. Thanks to everyone posting. I didn't know that there were two Wurzbachs and so on, now things make a bit more sense.
Gen

Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
It's called tolerance. I don't get all upset when people say "warsh" instead of "wash" (Like my grandfather from Ohio) or when people from Boston drop their r's. ...
Turtle Mom,
I like your post and agree, tolerance.

As a side, I wonder why it is that my Grandmother, born in Indiana, (English mom and Irish dad) doesn't say warsh or wash she says "wrench!"

Sometimes that slips from me too.
Gen

Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 PM

734 posts, read 3,004,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
HIGHWAYS: Chicago is unique (and confusing to out-of-towners) in its reliance on names,
rather than Interstate numbers, to identify expressways.
Phoenix uses names too. Listen to a news traffic report and hear them mention names instead of numbers - they refer to sections of the freeways, so there are different names for different parts of the same freeway.

Metro Phoenix freeway system (http://www.azcentral.com/flash/loop101/freeways.html - broken link)

I never learned them all though!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:32 PM

734 posts, read 3,004,998 times
Quote:
But to each their own...if you say "the" in front of your highway numbers, it just gives away where you're from...I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's going to make people have certain assumptions...
I guess this is the part I have the most problem with - I assume it was started out as humor, a cute comedy bit. I don't like how you say that people are going to have assumptions? Don't you mean stereotypes and generalizations? But do you assume that someone who comes up to with a New York accent will be a mobster? I don't think so. Just because someone throws an perceived unneeded article into a sentence I don't feel they should be judged as whatever it you think about Californians.

I think the people who were able to make lots of money off their houses in California and move out here to a nicer home are very lucky. Many of them were very hard workers, and this was the "break" they needed. They (usually) are very happy to be here and accepting of the San Antonio way of life. They might take a while to learn some things, but give them a break about how they talk. They aren't making fun of the locals for their strange way of pronouncing Spanish words with an Anglo accent. (I agree- Blanco shouldn't be pronounced with the long A - but when in Rome.... or San Antone!)

So that's my thoughts on the matter - but the whole thread is very interesting. Agreeing on the whole Jones-Maltsburger thing. Often I say "The 2nd J-M exit" not realizing the person is coming from downtown, and not from the North like me - oops!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 PM

545 posts, read 2,276,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
I don't like how you say that people are going to have assumptions? Don't you mean stereotypes and generalizations? But do you assume that someone who comes up to with a New York accent will be a mobster? I don't think so. Just because someone throws an perceived unneeded article into a sentence I don't feel they should be judged as whatever it you think about Californians.

I think the people who were able to make lots of money off their houses in California and move out here to a nicer home are very lucky. Many of them were very hard workers, and this was the "break" they needed. They (usually) are very happy to be here and accepting of the San Antonio way of life. They might take a while to learn some things, but give them a break about how they talk. They aren't making fun of the locals for their strange way of pronouncing Spanish words with an Anglo accent. (I agree- Blanco shouldn't be pronounced with the long A - but when in Rome.... or San Antone!)
I never said that the assumptions were a good thing...it's just the way things are.

I agree with you about folks able to make a big profit on their houses in California...good for them. But that being said, the market right now in San Antonio is still a seller's market and sellers are going to take advantage of it and get the best price they can for their home, just as, I'm sure, the folks from California did when they bailed out of the market there.

I also understand about learning how to pronounce stuff. I came from Illinois, but it didn't take me very long to learn to stop saying "pop" and start saying "soda" because if I said pop I'd get all kinds of strange looks and an occasional "You ain't from around here, are ya?"

I think that was the whole gist of this thread when it was started months ago...when in Rome...

Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 AM

85 posts, read 261,246 times
Quote:
I think that was the whole gist of this thread when it was started months ago...when in Rome...
Some people don't subscribe to the "lemming" philosophy.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Yield does not mean STOP!!

crazedchef
I just consulted the Driver's Handbook (online) and it says that you must stop at a Yield sign if there's a car getting off the highway. It doesn't matter what lane you're on.

Maybe you're part of the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio