Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 AM

9 posts, read 40,455 times

Advertisements

We are moving to SA in the near future and would like to know if you have those large roaches. I hear conflicting stories. Some say they are everywhere and others tell me they have never seen them. Please tell me if you have. My mother is deathly afraid of them and I would like to warn her before she comes to visit. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Yes, they're here, unfortunately. Tell your mom to bring a little leash!! Just kidding, but really, we do have them here.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Hi! I have not seen large roaches just roaming around. I did see one dead one time after it rained outside. You will probably see more lizards than anything. I was deathly afraid of bugs and stuff before I moved down here too. People would tell me these horror stories about snakes, spiders, fire ants, scorpions, and roaches. I think sometimes people just like to scare you before you move to a place! Don't worry about it!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
I'm orginally from Florida, where the state bird* is the Palmetto Bug (a nice name for a friggin' HUGE roach!). My first year of college, I lived in a mobile home (now known as a pre-fab, or something like that). We used to get them all the time. One day I was chasing one down with an flame thrower (ala an aerosol can and a lighter) and ignited it in flight. The sucker was smoking as it went down. I swear the dang thing hit the ground, shook it off, and took off again like nothing happened!

So, if you ask me about roaches in Texas, I would say it is the one thing in this state where they can't brag about having the biggest! Seriously, we haven't had a problem with them; and if you get your house sprayed on a regular schedule, neither will you.

But, if you want something to make you squirm, we do scorpions and tarantulas here...

Cheers! M2

* - Yes, I know some people say the Florida state bird is the mosquitto, and others say the horsefly.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 AM

229 posts, read 672,240 times
lol, great story majormadmax. Well, I hate roaches too, whenever one shows up i make my wife kill it. However, they should not be to much of a problem unless you live in an older home or are messy.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
THANK GOD.... I found a 2nd floor apartment.
because I sure as hell don't want to move down there (next week) to the 1st floor and start finding out every other day what bugs you guys have in Texas.

Uhh man, those palmeto bugs are the same ones that we have in Venezuela.
They didn't bother me at all, until I saw one SOB one a face and that M.F. flew right to neck

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,762 times
If they are in the area you're moving to, being on the second floor won't matter! Scorpions here are known to live in attics, for example...

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
If they are in the area you're moving to, being on the second floor won't matter! Scorpions here are known to live in attics, for example...
True dat!!! Those darned things (bird sized roaches) can not only climb the walls, but they also fly!! (I'm not joking.)

We live in an older subdivision that is pretty heavily wooded, so we do see them outside quite a bit, especially after it rains. Have probably had less than a half dozen in the house in the last 5 years, and each time has always been when we've left the windows open. They can easily make themselves small enough to fit under the screens. So I mostly never open the windows anymore.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Yeah, the big roaches fly, so you can't get away by being higher...and they seem to know how to aim for your head.

They are the biggest problem in summer and it doesn't matter how clean you are... they find their way into the house looking for water. You can do things to lessen this but there's no way o keep them out entirely. Last place we lived had a TON of trees and vines and things growing. It was gorgeous, dark, and shady, but the roaches were TEN times as bad as other places I'd lived. I remember dreading taking the dogs out after dark to do their business. We had motion lights and when we'd set the light off and look at the stucco wall surrounding the property, you'd easily see a dozen just hanging out on the wall! Blech! It was the trees from what I've been told. Our place now has 2 large old pecan trees but aside from those it's not all woodsy and dark so we have seen a definite improvement.

I haven't had any scorpion problems living in SA except in the Hill Country and areas of SA where it's rockier. My mom lives north of SA and has had scorpions in the house numerous times... ugh. One time one fell from the ceiling into her bed... that would have been enough to make me MOVE!

Hilarious story, MMM!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 AM

431 posts, read 1,203,757 times
Yup, it all depends on what your landscaping is like...at least in my experience. Lots of trees and ivy (especially Asiatic Jasmine) will bring them around more often. Decks and shady areas as well.

I have also noticed that when I have my sprinklers on a regular schedule it attracts them more that way, too.

My suggestion....buy your RAID sprays at Costco in bulk. Just be happy they don't bite or sting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio