Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times

Advertisements

Ive seen a couple in my house lately. Its time to look through all the flour, grain, raisins, pet food etc.

Confused and Red Flour Beetles, HYG-2087-97

The above link is great info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 16,181 times
we have these little black bugs seem to come from the base boards.mainly in the livingroom,bathroom and kitchen.they try to fly up your nose,very annoying. my husband sprayed but didn't seem to help.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Oh yeah! A born again bug thread! One of my favortite discussion items here since we definitely have bugs.

Why are they called Confused beetles? The ones I've seen around town seem to know what they are doing....

Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Oh yeah! A born again bug thread! One of my favortite discussion items here since we definitely have bugs.

Why are they called Confused beetles? The ones I've seen around town seem to know what they are doing....
If that bugs you, then you'll like this website. It has 863 pages with lots of pictures and info on bugs.

What's That Bug? Insect identification

Old 07-19-2010, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 16,036 times
i have seen little black bugs. I have seen them in bathroom around ceiling, they stay around the celings most of the time but have found them in bathtube and on washer. they remind me of spiders but I know thats not what they are

Old 07-25-2010, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 15,991 times
I have the SAME problem and I went online to find that it IS a pantry pest... they are small black beetles that seem to be coming from the kitchen. This happened once before and i found the source of the infestation on a box of cereal... Now i noticed it again. My advice is to find the source of the infestation by checking all your cabinets for opened food or something that they are coming from...They can get into the boxes if they are not sealed properly...and we take them home! Once you do that you can eliminate the source. Look up larder beetle or drugstore beetle.. that is what they look the closest to as i did my search online. Also try to traps...Im going to!!!

Last edited by Lisamarie1969; 07-25-2010 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: correction!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 15,744 times
I have the tiny crunchy black beetle type bug in my kitchen. They seem to be coming in around the window, as I find them mostly on the sill and around the sink. They do fly, land & then die. I've tried many things around inside & outside the window and yet they keep appearing.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 48,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
I think I found the source I purchased the dog some doggie treats thought they were ok because they were in a plastic bag. Just found the bag full of the black bugs. I forgot about the bag under the sink because it seem the dog didnot like the treats so I removed them hopefully that is the source. I will update.
Same here, nikip. I've been buying a particular dog "bone" treat for my dogs, for a couple of years.
But on a few occasions, while sweeping up, I've found a whole or a partially eaten piece (likely shot under the furniture when the dogs bit into them) containing scads of tiny bored holes.
So, it would appear that something came out of these older treats, and in large numbers.
Yet, when I checked the fresh bag, I found nothing but dusty remnants in the bottom.

But the little black beetles are here...as well as, a large type of flying gnat.
Which came out of the treats? I don't know. Maybe, both.
We've been battling these things for two whole summers, now. Luckily, I'm in Ohio, and the winter months have been a great help in fighting the little beasts!

My main concern is my dogs -- or, I should say...my dog. We've just lost one of our babies, supposedly to bone cancer.
However, he had only one tumor on his backleg, and showed no sign of it having spread to any of his vital organs, yet.
He limped for awhile, then began holding the leg up all the time.
But, he was still eating well, and drinking....taking his meds, and doing all the other doggie stuff.

And now, my other dog has taken ill. At first, we thought he was just in mourning over the loss of his best buddy.
But, he's begun displaying some of the same symptoms. And although a bad bladder infection has been detected, the specific culprit has yet to be determined.
His white cell count was through the roof! And had it not been for mega-doses of two different antibiotics....I'm fairly certain we'd have lost this dog, too.

So, I'm now wondering -- could "bug eggs" in the treats actually harm a dog?
I'd sure hate to think that I've been 'killing my dogs with kindness.'
And I'm hoping that someone can set my worries at ease on this.

As for now, I'll not be giving any more of those particular treats to my remaining pet.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It is much easier to talk about your problem when you attach a picture of the bugs...
So far we are just guessing on that.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 48,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybonzo View Post
Does anyone know what these little black bugs are? Seem to be attracted to white clothing. WHen I walk outside they seem to just all of a sudden be all over my clothing. I have attached a picture.
I'd say your problem is a Collembola one, Kitty.

Thanks to the good folks who've posted that bug identification site, here!
Bravo!

So, Kitty...go to that site, and click the page for "Springtails."
My guess is, you'll find a pic of your little friends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio