Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 57,317 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a teacher in Shreveport, La and I will be relocating to San Antonio in 2-3 years. How is the school system? Are teachers paid once or twice a month? What should I study to prepare for the Tx teacher is X am? I am 39 and have been teaching for 17 years. I am trying to decide if I should leave my retirement here or bring it. I know that it can't be touched until I teach 30 years.
I am single and do not have any children, therefore I need a very safe area. What areas do you suggest?
What areas should I avoid? I will be out there next month looking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 11:06 PM

80 posts, read 58,019 times
princess 1976,

1st, WELCOME to The Alamo City. - This is a FUN town with LOTS of things to do.

SORRY, in 2016 there are NO "safe areas" any more ANYWHERE.
(My best "boarding school chum" was recently robbed & she lives in a 600K home in an "affluent suburb" of northside SA. - She returned home to find everything of real value GONE after 6 hours away from home, shopping/lunch/matinee movie. = A "PRO-job" is my guess.)

Fwiw, I'm a 30 year veteran of city/count/federal law enforcement & NO place is really safe anymore in the USA, despite what you hear. - Some places are just better than others.
(Get an alarm, good locks & insurance is my advice. - I wish that I had better news for you.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04-03-2016 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-04-2016, 12:37 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
princess 1976,

1st, WELCOME to The Alamo City. - This is a FUN town with LOTS of things to do.

SORRY, in 2016 there are NO "safe areas" any more ANYWHERE.
(My best "boarding school chum" was recently robbed & she lives in a 600K home in an "affluent suburb" of northside SA. - She returned home to find everything of real value GONE after 6 hours away from home, shopping/lunch/matinee movie. = A "PRO-job" is my guess.)

Fwiw, I'm a 30 year veteran of city/count/federal law enforcement & NO place is really safe anymore in the USA, despite what you hear. - Some places are just better than others.
(Get an alarm, good locks & insurance is my advice. - I wish that I had better news for you.)

yours, tex

There are safe and less safe areas in SA. North and north-west is safer than south and south east.

satx78247 - your rich friends don't have much common sense. They should invest in good locks and home security. Having good, friendly neighbors who watch for each other is also a plus. House invasions in "affluent suburbs" are not common.
The 20 safest suburbs in San Antonio - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
NO place is really safe anymore in the USA
^^^ That's a very sad statement... US is the only developed country on earth where this is probably very true, but this situation is a result of our politics.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Avoid areas in 78202, 78203, 78207, 78208, 78242, 78220 and 78223 and you'll be fine. We have many school districts, search the forum for info on the most desirable districts. With that said, search the forum in general and come back and update what you are looking for after that.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone. Elnina, I will check out that website.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 AM

80 posts, read 58,019 times
elnina,

Fwiw, my "boarding school chum" HAD good locks, an ADT alarm system & good neighbors, who were at work or otherwise absent at the time. - NOT an atypical circumstance in 'the bedroom suburbs".
(There are only 5 other homes on that street.)

The BEST guess by the responding detectives (Nobody has been caught by SAPD/BCSO.) was that the "professional criminals" were dressed as a tradesmen, got into the 7-foot cedar-fenced back yard & picked the locks, after disabling the alarm system. Once inside, the thieves took their time going from room to room & removing every easily salable item of value.
(There were signs of the locks having been "manipulated" by someone, who had a lock gun & the knowledge to use it.)

Note: I also know of a recent case where 4 men with a moving van entered an expensive home in North Bexar County in the daytime, were seen by 2 neighbors (who questioned the "moving crew" & were told that the items were donated to charity, in preparation for a refurnishing job.) but nobody called the police.
(Some of the things stolen were a concert-size Steinway piano, a case-full of high-dollar firearms, the large "home entertainment system", a large safe, all the sterling flatware/hollowware & the good jewelry "hidden" in the home. - The thieves took the time to "separate out" & leave behind the "less valuable items" from the "quality stuff".)

As to WHY there are NO safe/secure neighborhoods anymore, the PRIME reason is our failure to keep convicted felons locked away until/unless they are unwilling/unable to prey again upon innocent people.
(According to TDC, over 80% of currently incarcerated felons, who are imprisoned for a serious felony crime like rape, sexual molestation, maiming, kidnapping, robbery, residential/business burglary, home invasion robbery and/or intentional homicide have previously served "a part of" at least one previous serious sentence for that or a very similar crime.)

The USA is fairly efficient at apprehending, indicting, trying, sentencing & imprisoning felons. The TRUE problem is that we often release those persons long before they complete their sentence & then those same persons "re-offend". = Many TX inmates are serving a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th sentence for a previous felony, having completed NONE of their previous sentences.

WHEN/IF we decide as a society to keep the small minority of persons, who are felons, among us LOCKED AWAY then the felony crime rate will fall by probably 30-50% & will thereafter remain at that low level.
(The truth is really NO more complicated than that.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04-05-2016 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: clarity/grammar

Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Head on west to Boerne for your teaching career. (Not a bad place to live either, but not as 'happening' as SA)

Check out nearby Helotes too.

What are some of your interests / hobbies?

SA is a great place to be, and a great place to travel from. You can use AUS or SAT to get great fares to your favorite escape.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess1976 View Post
Hello. I am a teacher in Shreveport, La and I will be relocating to San Antonio in 2-3 years. How is the school system? Are teachers paid once or twice a month? What should I study to prepare for the Tx teacher is X am? I am 39 and have been teaching for 17 years. I am trying to decide if I should leave my retirement here or bring it. I know that it can't be touched until I teach 30 years.
I am single and do not have any children, therefore I need a very safe area. What areas do you suggest?
What areas should I avoid? I will be out there next month looking around.
Most certified positions in the ISD's here are paid monthly.

Any time I have studied for certification (content area) tests, I have used released TAKS/STAAR tests for the highest grade level I am testing for.

Retirement: Many districts use TRS (Texas). This website http://www.trs.state.tx.us/info.jsp?...l/welcome_info should help you some. Not sure what TX would credit you in terms of years of service coming in, so you might want to contact them for some personalized info. Now, some districts do pay into Social Security, so it would depend...

Old 04-05-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Head on west to Boerne for your teaching career. (Not a bad place to live either, but not as 'happening' as SA)

Check out nearby Helotes too.

What are some of your interests / hobbies?

SA is a great place to be, and a great place to travel from. You can use AUS or SAT to get great fares to your favorite escape.
I have never heard of Boerne, but I am going to research it. I enjoy bowling, traveling and shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio