Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 AM

245 posts, read 696,066 times

Advertisements

The other day two of my neighbors got into a huge fight. One was threatening to beat the living daylights out of the other, pounding his fists into the neighbor's car and brick wall, tearing off his shirt, shouting obscenities, etc. It wasn't pretty. I called 911 and asked them to send someone out here before things got ugly. Then I waited 20 minutes and called 911 again (because no cop had shown up). They told me that no one had been dispatched yet! Finally, after things had calmed down outside (the neighbor retreated to his house but was still shouting at the other neighbor from his garage), and about 50 minutes later, a cop showed up. He knocked on the people's door, and no one answered. So the cop just left.

Obviously no one answered the door (because they were afraid it might be their other neighbor who wanted to beat them up). There were three cars parked in front of the house, so the officer obviously could have deduced that there was still someone inside of it.

This concerns me greatly. First, why did it take the cops over 50 minutes to arrive on the scene? And second, why did they just leave when no one answered the door instead of pursuing the issue further? It makes me wonder, God-forbid that I should ever have to call 911 if I have an emergency in my own house! Or drop dead inside of it, because it seems that if the cops don't get an answer when they knock on the door, they'll just leave!

Any one else have any issues, concerns, stories, about the SAPD slow response times? I've lived in Dallas and Austin, and never had to wait that long for a cop to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Call 911 and hang up. They'll be at your door within 4 minutes.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
According to SAPD's web site, the average response time for a 911 call is 5.36 min. For regular calls, it is 18.49 min (Source). But understand there are only a tad over 2000 officers for a city of 1,328,984 (as of July 2007, so it has to be higher now)(Source). That's one officer for every 661 citizens. The International Association of Police Chiefs recommends a ratio of 2.5 officers for every 1000 people in cities with over 250,000 residents (Source). So S.A. is about one police officer shy of that (1.5 per 1000).

So obviously there is a shortage of officers in San Antonio (by about 1329 officers, by my math). However, that doesn't explain why the SAPD took so long to respond; it is just a factor. I recommend contacting your local substation to see if they can answer your question, if not than contact SAPD directly via these means.

And, not to go on a tirade here; but it is incidents such as this which drive me to be able to protect myself, my family and my property. Texas gives you the right to do so under law, and anyone who doesn't have a back-up plan for when the police don't/can't make it in time is only inviting trouble.

Let us know what you find out!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,740 times
Is it that they can't recruit more officers or that they don't have the funds to do so? Does anyone know that? I'm hoping it's that they are short on people wanting a job here, because I know my city taxes should support many more officers.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
Mojo

I am not sure, I think it is both (a good editorial on the former can be found here (http://articles.directorym.net/Qualified_candidates_San_Antonio_TX-r878933-San_Antonio_TX.html - broken link), as well as an article from last January on the problems SAPD has had trying to hire more officers here (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA012708_01A_PoliceHiring_29e405f_html16144.html - broken link)); let me look into it and see what I can find out...

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 10-16-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
According to SAPD's web site, the average response time for a 911 call is 5.36 min. For regular calls, it is 18.49 min (Source). But understand there are only a tad over 2000 officers for a city of 1,328,984 (as of July 2007, so it has to be higher now)(Source). That's one officer for every 661 citizens. The International Association of Police Chiefs recommends a ratio of 2.5 officers for every 1000 people in cities with over 250,000 residents (Source). So S.A. is about one police officer shy of that (1.5 per 1000).

So obviously there is a shortage of officers in San Antonio (by about 1329 officers, by my math). However, that doesn't explain why the SAPD took so long to respond; it is just a factor. I recommend contacting your local substation to see if they can answer your question, if not than contact SAPD directly via these means.

And, not to go on a tirade here; but it is incidents such as this which drive me to be able to protect myself, my family and my property. Texas gives you the right to do so under law, and anyone who doesn't have a back-up plan for when the police don't/can't make it in time is only inviting trouble.

Let us know what you find out!

Cheers! M2
well max some Police officers make 36,000 dollars salary here in SA. I wouldnt be to happy riskiny my life for 36 grand, I made that delivering soda.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
I can say this.. I have called 911 before.. and never got a reponse... so I am now doing what every other citizen has on their mind... purchased a gun to take care of my own matters. Why wait for a cop and die when you can handle it all on your own?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,958 times
From being involved in neighborhood watch meetings with local police, the answer is funding. San Antonio cops make a decent wage compared to other cities and have many overtime opportunities. But, the city (and you and I the taxpayer) refuse to fund them for more.

If I'm the dispatcher, two adults engaged in fisticuffs isn't going to have the same priority as a 14 year old with a can of spray paint - but I'm a bit biased.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
dtj

11 posts, read 70,486 times
As far as differences in response times there are several factors that influence how soon the call is dispatched. Depending on time of call can delay the response, example is between 9:30pm-10:30pm, which is when the patrol shifts rotate, when this happens due to limited number of patrol officers calls back up.

Also if it is called in as a refused contact it will be placed in order of priority which is behind burg in progress, theft in progress, shooting, cutting, robbery.

And in some cases the public will still refuse contact after the slow response especially when someone else is calling in on the disturbance and they do not want to report problem, depending on details and reasons why the individuals are in a fight. The officer will attempt contact, dispatcher can call back reporting person for additional details, but if no answer no report especially if the details are what was given.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
to me.. if shots are fired right next door to you... and you call it in.. someone should be hustling their blue asses to try and see what the hell is going on.. shift change or no shift change. I can only sympathize with the funding crap for so long..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio