U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 AM

28 posts, read 116,223 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone know who I can contact regarding "Hot Wells Hotel"

I would like to take a tour but not sure who to contact.Perhaps we can get a group and take a tour...

I think that they should allow visitors and just charge a small fee ,that way they can get the word out about how Wondrous this place used to be and how it can be Wondrous again...Imagine if enough people were informed of it's rich history then that would get the ball rolling and get it restored soon..

"IF WE RESTORE IT THEY WILL COME"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,056,750 times
Sounds like a great idea - if you get in, let us know!

Here's a link
for more info on the hotel history, for those that haven't heard of it....(like me!)

Old 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,506,023 times
I would also be interested in touring the property if someone got permission to do so. However, I do wonder what remains to be worth seeing, and what the liability would be for the property owners. And, having looked at imagery of the site, I doubt we'll ever see a restoration back to its original glory...

Just more history lost, unfortunately...like the Roaring '20s, Midget Mansion and other SA landmarks.

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 10-26-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 14,461,644 times
You might try a search on it here. We've had some lengthy discussions about this topic, but it might be lost in a more general topic like "Gone but not forgotten".

We drove by it a few months ago, and it doesn't appear to be in shape to tour. There is a caretaker living on the grounds near the gate with a very loud aggressive dog. From all the fires and neglect, it may be unsafe right now. The rest of the buildings are basically none existent with the exception of possibly a few outer cottages that may be deserted and in serious disrepair. The other main building is totally gone. The portion that is visible is the where the actual "pools" were. Some of the links show the interior floor plans and even photographs.

If you have any luck, please do let us know.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM

546 posts, read 2,954,943 times
Lifshutz Companies - Hot Wells, San Antonio, TX (http://www.lifshutz.com/hotwells.html - broken link)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,250,904 times
Here are a couple of pics I took in the 1980's when Charles Scheer owned the hotel and before the last fire which destroyed this building.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 28,696 times
Old thread revival, Hot Wells update!

Last weekend we stopped by the Hot Wells Resort and talked to the gentleman that resides on the property. He said that the Resort is currently a Hard Hat zone and not open to the public, but did give our crew a contact name and number to get permission to get on the property to take pictures, do EVP, etc.

After calling the number up, I spoke with a lady named Leeann (Probably spelled it wrong). She informed me that currently noone is allowed on, due to the state of dis-repair and dangers. I talked to her for about 15 minutes about the property, and the surrounding buildings. They welcome ghost hunters, but cannot allow access at this time, but hopefully in the next 3 months (by June 09) that it may be open. Also found out that the houses that are around the area on the property (and can be seen in this bird's eye aerial photo Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible ) are pretty much ruins now.

Anyone interested in obtaining this contact number can contact me at (my name on this forum)@gmail.com

Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 PM

114,775 posts, read 59,980,947 times
Unfortunately , there isn't much left to give anyone an inkling of it's former glory! I've been on the property many times over many years. The photos supplied by gy2020 above are of the round Bldg which was occupied in the 70's at least. It was called the "Flame Room" , how appropriate !! It was a beer joint. I know I bought a beer in there at least once in the 70's. Just to check the place out!! There was an elderly lady that lived off of Hot Wells Blvd near Clark I believe. She told me her husband worked on and off for a circus or amusement park next to the Motel. I don't recall but I assume 20's or 30's . There were several trailers up near the front of the Motel property 70's maybe even 80's. I've been told they did have a circus community living in there at one time!! Not a lot left to marvel at I'm sure!!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM

41 posts, read 83,512 times
Lifshutz Companies - Hot Wells, San Antonio, TX (http://www.lifshutz.com/hotwells.html - broken link)

Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,716,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Sounds like a great idea - if you get in, let us know!

Here's a link
for more info on the hotel history, for those that haven't heard of it....(like me!)

WOW!! Good read. Long but good. Very interesting. I tried to rep you but I can't.
I know this is an old post, guess I missed it back in '08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio