Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

I'll be transferring stores in a year and a half to SA... I found a store of mine outside of Castle hills, the yelp reviews were excellent, and I hope to visit next year when I go back to make sure it's the right store for me. ( I found another in Terrell hills center, and the reviews on yelp were horrible! especially about my department where I'd be transferring too!)

I was thinking more along the lines of where to live.. here in CA it's not easy to live on your own unless you have multiple jobs or you make a good steady income, and don't mind paying well over $1400 by yourself for a 500 sq. ft apartment. Most of my friends are in their 30's still living at home... but prices are going up up up, and I'm ready for a new change. I'd love to live alone. it's always been with a roommate, an ex, or my sisters growing up.

I've been to Sa/NB a lot, especially during July and august, I get that it's hot and muggy. Out here, mother nature is bi polar, hot, super hot and dry, muggy, cold, rain, wind, earthquakes, thunder, sometimes hail, maybe snow. it's may already and this "storm" is maybe the 3rd time it's rained out here? I'll adjust to the weather. that's the #1 thing people "poo poo" on when I tell them I'm moving to texas. it's insanely annoying. but if you're moving to CA? "its so expensive!" no $hit.

anyway, I was doing some apartment searching, and 1 bedroom apartments are really affordable. I've saved up a good lil nest egg here at home (about 10k so far) , and I saw a great apartment in new braunfels for 600, which I could do, but I don't know if the commute would be okay to that store where I'd work.. I always hear traffic nightmares on the 35. It says a 30 minute commute, but is that usually legit? 30 minutes here is a cake walk. but I've been stuck in over 2 hours of traffic before. blech.
I'd eventually like to get settled and work a bit, and save up for a house if I really love it.

I also found a place close to the store in SA for way cheaper, and its bigger too.. but its far from the city I know really well. I love the greenery in Nb plus all the river access, shops and such. but Sa would give me a good opportunity to explore the big city, but I don't know if it will just remind me of here and going to Los Angeles. Which I'm not a fan of at all.

Would a roommate be better? or should I just live on my own for a bit?

I've checked prices as far as if they're similar to what my work makes here, not much of a price difference, so if I keep working hard and make around the ballpark I make here, it'll be simple to live on my own. Shoot, right now I split a 1 bedroom and my rent and utilities are around $765 and I sleep in a living room! I'm 31, single, no kids, and a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 04:51 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,286 times
How would we know if you'd like to live with a roommate or not? That's up to you. You seem to have done your research. Make a decision.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:03 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,846 times
SA isnt for you; we have a large influx of unhappy cali residents as well.

good luck in cali!

Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Commuting to Terrell Hills or Castle Hills from NB is a bit much, IMO.

The main thing to ask yourself when making the decision where to live is what do you want to do in your off time? If you'll be spending most of your off days driving into SA, then there's no reason to live in NB. But if you're a river rat like me, or if you'll be spending most of your off time enjoying Austin's artsy vibe, then NB would make more sense than SA.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM

40 posts, read 44,412 times
In my opinion san antonio is a great place to live, especially if your someone looking to have an affordable living. We have so many apartment complexes that are willing to work with you based on income. Yeah the weather is unpredictable more than half of the time, but you will get used to it. This city is very budget friendly and i think is a good place for anyone to start. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio