Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times

Advertisements

okay....well I already put down some money on the security deposit but I am having second thoughts.

I moved to Texas from Illinois in June for work. I work at Randolph AFB. I'm a single female, 31. I live in New Braunfels in a cool loft apt. near landa park (maybe your familiar...ha). I really like my place but the building is very old...well it is a former power plant after all. The windows don't open (no fresh air) and the plumbing is not so great...I can also hear noise above me. Yet, those are not my biggest complaints. My biggest complaints seem to be that I feel a little isolated here, and also its kinda expensive...and...this building is old and Ive seen a few scary bugs!

When I moved from Illinois I originally wanted to move downtown San Antonio but quickly found people don't really do that. I gave up and ended up here in New Braunfels because I didn't like any of the more suburban type apartments and honestly I Really didn't have much time to look around.

So...they are building this new place The Vistana - Lofty Living Downtown. I took a look at it and decided it was the perfect opportunity to move downtown and I will be signing a lease shortly.

thing is... I HATE moving. Im finally settled in here in New Braunfels and am wondering if I should just stick it out here until its time to buy a house. I am content here....but the feeling keeps nagging me that I should try living downtown....like maybe I am missing something...more social opportunities...a nice NEW place....more cultural opportunies....etc.

Any opinions...I'm really new to the area and welcome perspectives.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,902 times
I would NEVER move downtown, or anywhere near it...but to each his (or in your case, her) own.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,660 times
Move to Cibolo or Schertz

Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 PM

I've considered cibolo or schetz....its just too suburban for my tastes. I like that New Braunfels is more like a real town... I can walk to places, dont have to drive everywhere, I can go for a jog at night on the sidewalks. I've pretty much ruled out schertz or cibolo unless if I were thinking of buying a house or something.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I've considered cibolo or schetz....its just too suburban for my tastes. I like that New Braunfels is more like a real town... I can walk to places, dont have to drive everywhere, I can go for a jog at night on the sidewalks. I've pretty much ruled out schertz or cibolo unless if I were thinking of buying a house or something.
I see your point. Though I am partial to that area.

Downtown I would think you might feel even more isolated as odd as that may seem. What about the Quarry area? Broadway area?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM

the bonus to cibolo or schertz is that I could probably find something a lot cheaper! Its just that most of the apartments I have seen remind me of college living. Stacked on top of each other, no real character, can't really walk around except at the complex itself.

I havn't really looked around the Quarry. I think I'd rather move downtown or not at all....I mean, I like my place and I just hate to up and move again unless its really gonna be more exciting/interesting...or waaaaayyy cheaper!

thanks for the opinions

Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Dang, I know exactly where you live in New Braunfels! Lucky you!!! I would give my eye teeth to be able to live there. Then again, I'd give my front teeth to be able to move downtown S.A., also. Too bad I'm not a single 31 y.o. chick Go for it grrl. Even though you won't have access to a grocery store, nearby. You will be close to the Blue Star Art Complex, the beautiful Riverwalk, great restaurants, theatres & museums. Enjoy yourself & keep us posted

Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 PM

hmmm....so I am wondering what you like better....your front teeth or your eye teeth I'm thinking your front teeth!?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,573 times
I would move downtown if I was in your place in a heartbeat. Actually, I would move close to southtown. I think that has more that I would enjoy. Of course, I'm married with a kid, so that dream probably won't happen. I say go for it! Are you military? That would change things completely if you are...I would say suck it up and wait until you get stationed somewhere else...otherwise, I'd go for it.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Thanks no I'm not military. I'm a contractor. It's possible I will move for work again in the next couple of years. But I think that is part of the reason I want to live downtown.....I feel like I have not really "experienced" San Antonio. I don't know a lot of people here except for a select few co-workers, mostly married. I don't have much of a social life yet but if I lived downtown I think I might make more of an effort to get out and see or do stuff alone....and hopefully meet new people at the new building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio