Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you beat me to it Mister.. although I would have absolutely NO problem with them spending every penny on bullets and using them to take out everyone that even resembles a gang banger. The entire lifestyle (including the wannabe's) needs to be eliminated.
I think it would be better if the public took an active role in eliminating the problem and the police spent the money buying donuts and not seeing anything...
I was thinking of takeing them out myself, but I shurely cant do it by myself and I would more than likley get a death penalty. I hate all those low life scumbags thinking just because their daddys are addicts they have to be ruff, Instead of working their asses of at school to live a better life down the road. but unfortunately they settle for 10 year welfare and section 8 housing. thats why they keep popping out baby's thats their source of income, and that will turn into the same problem when the baby is older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM

11 posts, read 26,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Perhaps the police will use the money to help us better understand the source of the gang members discontent. If only we could understand the bitter feelings they harbor toward society, we could do something to make a substantial change in their environment to make them feel more welcome and find less cause to lash out in such anti-social ways. Perhaps the money will be used to fund special art classes so they can learn to express themselves in more acceptable art mediums, and this would help reduce the tagging problem. Perhaps some of these funds will be used to buy them little uniforms with matching orange colors so they will all fit in.

Oh yes, and perhaps all of this can be done as they sit behind bars at the country jail, while a guy with a taser at the ready watches over them.
Gang member discontent? For us to try and find a logical answer to an illogical problem would be a waste of money. Just take them out of society for not assimilating to our social norms. Then build more prisons.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,059 times
I think it's a drop in the bucket...not much money at all for something that needs alot more attention in this city. If only everyone actually knew how much this problem has to do with the overall problem with crime. San Antonio's gang problems go much higher than the common street thug, and have a very high ladder with alot of money. It's gonna take alot more than a half million extra dollars to do much real good.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjacquemotte View Post
Gang member discontent? For us to try and find a logical answer to an illogical problem would be a waste of money. Just take them out of society for not assimilating to our social norms. Then build more prisons.
I can't speak for Silver Creek....but I think he was responding with a bit of sarcasm. He's been a very strong community leader in helping with neighborhood crime watches and graffiti problems. He's past posts indicate that he's very much in the know about the gang probs.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I think it's a drop in the bucket...not much money at all for something that needs alot more attention in this city. If only everyone actually knew how much this problem has to do with the overall problem with crime. San Antonio's gang problems go much higher than the common street thug, and have a very high ladder with alot of money. It's gonna take alot more than a half million extra dollars to do much real good.
TXAG....having worked in the correctional field, what are your thoughts on sjac's suggestion to build more prisons??

Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,059 times
I actually would agree, but that's a whole other issue. It would deffinately allow judges to hand down more sentances and such, but the staffing issues in the private, state, and federal facilities need major attention. The TDCJ system unfortunately is a ticking timebomb unless something is done. This isn't a new issue by anymeans, and seems as if those with the power to do something about it are less than concerned. Sad that it puts so many workers lives in danger.

However like I said I do agree with more prisons. Texas has a rapidly growing prison population, and it actually seems in many cases like the growth of prison building is moving with it. I could seriously write a book on issues with the prison system so I'll just stop here. I do think more lateral cooperation between TDCJ authorities, and local and other State departments would be a major move forward in fighting gang problems though. Most of the "prominent", and "threatning" gangs are prison gangs, and those affiliated with them who are released into society. I rarely if ever witness local authorities using incarcerated offenders as sources to the outside world, and I assure you that they are in the outside loop.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM

179 posts, read 468,687 times
I think as far as street gangs go, parents are responsible. If you do not give your child a positive role model to look up to, well they will find their own role model. It probably will not be a positive one, rather one that fits more of a child's dreams; money, popularity, and power. These little bangers then grow up and get in trouble with the law. They are then introduced to society's poor excuse for rehabilitation during which they will probably join one of the larger and more dangerous criminal organizations. Please understand that when I speak lowly of the prison system, I am not referencing the fine men and women who work at the facility. I am referencing the broken system that is created and maintained by greedy politicians and society's need for a humane and "nice" punishment (cable tv and a workout room in jail?). A person who has committed a heinous crime has more amenities than a soldier deployed fighting for our country. Something really wrong with that. To sum up we need to first kill the source of the gangs by taking care of the children who are not being taken care of. Then help those who are already lost.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,062 times
Default Question

I saw the following written on a note: "The King 6 LOU (followed by a 5 point star). the kid always wears red. It seems there are symbols and identifiers related to both the Folk and the People Nations.

# 6 = Folk Nation
King = People Nation
5 Point Start = People Nation
Wears Red = People Nation

Can anybody identify the affiliation?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,145 times
West siiide!!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyocan View Post
I saw the following written on a note: "The King 6 LOU (followed by a 5 point star). the kid always wears red. It seems there are symbols and identifiers related to both the Folk and the People Nations.

# 6 = Folk Nation
King = People Nation
5 Point Start = People Nation
Wears Red = People Nation

Can anybody identify the affiliation?
Yup. The "Stupid" affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio