Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:44 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times

Advertisements

I'm a transplant from New York City. Talk about a culture shock!!!! Then I realized the differance, took a deep breath and have gone with the flow for 20 yrs.
In those 20 yrs. my company teansferred me to other cities for periods, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Austin, Seattle. When ever the transfer happened, I always made sure the deal had a clause that I would be returned to SA when the job was complete.
It's alot different living here. You can not expect people to live by your standards that are not local. SA is different and I like it. It takes a little getting used to, but if you go with it, you will find it's a really nice life.
Laid back, relaxed, and yes, different than anywhere else in the country.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Beware that nearly every major innersection along the highways will have pedestrians in the street either begging, handing out flyers or selling newspapers or candied apples, especially on the weekends. (Keep your windows up!) Oh and there is construction everywhere.
??? Candied apples???? along the highway??? I'll give you the firemen, the newspaper peddlars, and a few panhandlers, but candy apples??? and not along the highway....???? really?

BTW - I have to give the guy selling newspapers a lot of credit for chosing to work by standing out on a busy intersection (with a license) and not sitting back collecting welfare. It's not a pretty, fun, or glamorous job...it even probably really sucks, but hey.....that guy is ok with me. I'm happy to buy a paper from him and even tip him!

Who on God's green earth would buy a candy apple from a peddlar on a highway?

Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I think people are coming here because they think it\'s cheaper, and it was, until just recently.
Until just recently? What are you talking about? The median cost of a house in SA is around $135,000 give or take. That\'s darn cheap.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,414 times
Quote:
The cable company doesnt line up the local channels with the actual cable channel, (example WOAI channel 4 airs on cable channel 3.)

The city has regulations on who can buy spray paint to curb the epidemic problem of graffiti but they don\\\'t bother to go around and clean it up.

There is no helmet law for anyone under 18, it was really weird to see so many people on motorcyles without a helmet.
Could you be any more petty? My god. However, I do have to chuckle.

Quote:
Even though we are in a HOA and pay annual dues because we live outside 1604 we do not have curbside recycling. We have to collect and store everything in our garage and run it to the recycle center ourselves every 2 weeks.
This is likely due to you living in the county and not the city.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
??? Candied apples???? Who on God's green earth would buy a candy apple from a peddlar on a highway?
No joke it happens all the time on the "far west side" of the 410 around Military, Culebra, Marbach, and they sell out all the time!!!???

Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Could you be any more petty? My god. However, I do have to chuckle. This is likely due to you living in the county and not the city.
I'm not complaining I was just observing, these are things I did not anticipate as a transplant thats all. We can adjust and have these were just tid bits I thought a wanna be transplant might find interesting.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,274 times
In other states you can pay off a house and come out ahead. In Texas, you pay off the cheaper house, and still pay horrendous taxes for the rest of your life. The market rate of my small one bedroom apartment on the NW side (too small for furniture), in a 14-year-old complex, is now $800 a month (was 750 a year ago). Just four years ago, 700 got you a very large two-bedroom in similar place.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
No joke it happens all the time on the "far west side" of the 410 around Military, Culebra, Marbach, and they sell out all the time!!!???
Wow! I've lived here a pretty darn long time and have't seen this ever! Learn something new about this city everyday! CRAZY!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
In other states you can pay off a house and come out ahead. In Texas, you pay off the cheaper house, and still pay horrendous taxes for the rest of your life. The market rate of my small one bedroom apartment on the NW side (too small for furniture), in a 14-year-old complex, is now $800 a month (was 750 a year ago). Just four years ago, 700 got you a very large two-bedroom in similar place.
Hello...really? If you pay off your house in other states you don't pay property taxes anymore? Where is this.....I might want to visit!

Apartment "market" rent is just criminal everywhere. I was completely floored last year when the townhouse complex levied "pet rent" on us! $10 a month per pet! My kids don't even pay extra rent! What is wrong with the tenants associations??? I very disappointed in renters advocacy.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,792 times
Quote:
You can usually find the fabled candied apple vendors in plentiful numbers at I-10 and West Avenue during rush hour - I can't believe anyone would buy those (and they do)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio