Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:45 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times

Advertisements

Someone didn’t follow the rules.

Quote:
Please make sure they’re current or atleast updated post-2000 census numbers.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
DALLAS
Median household income: $37,628 (year 2000)
Median house value: $89,800 (year 2000)
//www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

houston
Median household income: $36,616 (year 2000)
Median house value: $79,300 (year 2000)
//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

AUSTIN
Median household income: $42,689 (year 2000)
Median house value: $124,700 (year 2000)
//www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

san antonio
Median household income: $36,214 (year 2000)
Median house value: $68,800 (year 2000)
//www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html
haha looks like we have the least amount of debt in san antonio

Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
Since you all seem to be more interested in bickering about my observations let me give you a few more to ponder on...

Birds really do fly south and for some reason they all come to SA! They'll be here soon so get ready! Gotta love those Grackles!

Butterflies also seem to be in abundance for some weird reason, this contributes to the obsession people have with washing their cars twice a week.

You can catch up on your mexican soaps while you eat on the big screen at El Taco Tote! Good fun for the whole family.

You can shop while drinking beer at the mall downtown, not to mention beer is also the top prize for certain contests around the city.

The news tries to attract viewers by offering prizes to watch; much like the listening contests on the radio.

These are NOT complaints they are simply observations we have made in our new city that we LOVE! Are there any other transplants who have noticed new things they never expected to experience coming to SA, or is it just us?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Furthering on with the news/celebrities -- I love how accessible they are in town. There have been numerous times I go out to eat and someone from one of the news stations or celebrities like spurs players/eva longoria are eating/shopping too. It does not matter what part of town i'm in -- there they are. Its great to see everyone live a "normal" life.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,587 times
I second that Steel Man, my son, who is in kinder, is already being taught how to use a computer.

I'm wondering does NoPlaceLikeWA have anything good to say about the city besides the slow pace?

1*Ranch

Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Not the waterpark! Just Shamu and saltwater baths!
NPLW....I'm confused. Did you move to SA thinking the year round weather here was warm enough to swim outdoors in the late fall and winter? I guess having Sea World here might give that impression, but I'm not sure what the complaint is during Thanksgiving. There are great places to go hiking and exploring for short day trips, there are ice skating rinks, caverns, state parks, family oriented gyms with indoor pools.....and there is always South Padre if you really want beach fun. I'm just having a hard time trying to word this without it sounding critical....but some of the expectations put on this city seem to be misguided from information somewhere. I'm asking in general to others too.....but your particular annoyment with SA has me a little perplexed.

BTW - Your observation on butterflies depends a lot on the rainfall for the year. Sometimes after a drought, a heavy rainfall will trigger butterfly larva to hatch in masses at random times of the year. But we are also on the migration route of the gorgeous Monarchs from South America. I love that time of year! Also, if you're into birding at all, there are spectacular birds in South Texas. There are several rare species of hummingbirds that seem to like Central Texas. You can get a regional bird guide at any of the major bookstores. That's something my kids loved when they were much younger.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
You can usually find the fabled candied apple vendors in plentiful numbers at I-10 and West Avenue during rush hour - I can't believe anyone would buy those (and they do)!
I'm going to find these elusive candy apple dealers and ask why my side of town isn't good enough for their apples! Not really....but I want a picture of this! I love finding out new stuff on this forum! Still wouldn't eat one.....shades of tainted Halloween candy!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 PM

43 posts, read 149,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
In the 10 months since moving to SA we have come to learn a few things about the city we didn't think of or expect. You might disagree with what we have concluded about the city but either way I am sure others have also come to learn things and I thought it could be helpful to share....

The layout of the highways and side streets are unlike anywhere else, get a map before you get here and study it carefully, when you get here if your car is not equipped with a computerized compass get one as there will be no major land mark to identify with (example: mountains.)

Beware that nearly every major innersection along the highways will have pedestrians in the street either begging, handing out flyers or selling newspapers or candied apples, especially on the weekends. (Keep your windows up!) Oh and there is construction everywhere.

Customer service is not a priority and there is a general sense of distrust, businesses have strict return policies and the banks will carefully screen every dollar you deposit or withdrawl for atleast the first 6months of your new account.

The cost of living is not as cheap as you would expect, auto insurance is higher and 60% of SA drivers don't have it for one reason or another. Home insurance is more and the property taxes are higher to feed the schools.

Computer literacy appears to be below average for the country? My husband has been labeled a "genius" at work because he can type with out using hunt and peck and after hounding his employer for 3 months to get secure access on the company server with no response he discovered no one else has access either because they don't know how to use the computer. This also explains the general lack of sophistication you sense everywhere and plays into the simple more relaxed way of life for SA.

I could go on but I am more curious about what others have experienced that might be eye opening to a new transplant.
Thanks for your perspective on being new to SA. Living in El Paso (and, also having lived in WA State) I can say El Paso is the same, if not worse than SA. For instance, 75% of the driver's here do NOT have automobile insurance. So, at only 60% in SA, I must say you are a bit better off there than here. We are considering a retirement city (although I still will work) and, this forum, albeit somewhat biased in favor of the city, provides food for thought in our decision making process. By the way, I was born and raised in SA; but, my youthful experience cannot be the driving factor in my return. Sentiment gets you only so far. And, to all those who discourage the candor of this forum's participants, doesn't it do all those who sincerely want to "discuss" various issues, a disservice by retorting with hostility and anger, rather than looking to possible solutions to those less than perfect attributes articulated? The more I read by some of the responders of other's (i.e. newcomers) honest experiences and the hostile/defensive responses, the more I need to question if SA is a place I want to return to.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasborn View Post
Thanks for your perspective on being new to SA. Living in El Paso (and, also having lived in WA State) I can say El Paso is the same, if not worse than SA. For instance, 75% of the driver's here do NOT have automobile insurance. So, at only 60% in SA, I must say you are a bit better off there than here. We are considering a retirement city (although I still will work) and, this forum, albeit somewhat biased in favor of the city, provides food for thought in our decision making process. By the way, I was born and raised in SA; but, my youthful experience cannot be the driving factor in my return. Sentiment gets you only so far. And, to all those who discourage the candor of this forum's participants, doesn't it do all those who sincerely want to "discuss" various issues, a disservice by retorting with hostility and anger, rather than looking to possible solutions to those less than perfect attributes articulated? The more I read by some of the responders of other's (i.e. newcomers) honest experiences and the hostile/defensive responses, the more I need to question if SA is a place I want to return to.

Who says we are interested in solutions to "observations" another poster has made? I have car insurance (full coverage), I'm quite literate and so is my family, I love the weather, the cost of living is great, I have no desire to visit Sea World in the winter, I have no beef with someone trying to better themselves by selling their wares, customer service is no worse/better here than anywhere I've lived or vacationed, I have no trouble finding my way around town......sheesh, I could go on and on. Why do you have a problem with anyone defending/giving OUR point of view on San Antonio?

Get a grip. And if you have to question whether SA is good enough for you, perhaps it isn't. We'll miss ya', but there will be thousands of other Californians moving in instead of you.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 PM

43 posts, read 149,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Who says we are interested in solutions to "observations" another poster has made? I have car insurance (full coverage), I'm quite literate and so is my family, I love the weather, the cost of living is great, I have no desire to visit Sea World in the winter, I have no beef with someone trying to better themselves by selling their wares, customer service is no worse/better here than anywhere I've lived or vacationed, I have no trouble finding my way around town......sheesh, I could go on and on. Why do you have a problem with anyone defending/giving OUR point of view on San Antonio?

Get a grip. And if you have to question whether SA is good enough for you, perhaps it isn't. We'll miss ya', but there will be thousands of other Californians moving in instead of you.
Just what I expected. You will not miss me or any other person who is not looking through rose colored glasses when looking at SA. Your defensive response is that of only one person (you after all, are not the entirety of the SA populace.) Therefore, I will disregard your posts and focus on the more mature. I do not have a problem with anyone presenting their view, but you obviously do by responding so defensively and with such hostility. Every place has its positives and negatives. My point is: Let those who are experiencing something other than what YOU THINK is acceptable express it. Or, is this part of the Chamber of Commerce and this forum is to SELL San Antonio? And, is it ONLY Californians moving to San Antonio?

Moderator: Your feedback is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio