Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times

Advertisements

Anybody can express anything they'd like. But I also have that right. What's so hostile and immature about that? You suggested that we need solutions to the observations made, I say we don't.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:39 PM

797 posts, read 2,984,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
NPLW....I'm confused. Did you move to SA thinking the year round weather here was warm enough to swim outdoors in the late fall and winter?
Simply put yes. We moved here specifically for the weather and I don't think we are the only transplants from a cooler climate to make this assumption. Obviously we have learned that our assumption was wrong and that the city generally operates under the same seasonal activity schedule as the rest of the country regardless of the weather. This was also evident in the retail centers when they pulled the swim wear and summer clothes in August and started selling sweaters and warmer clothes, granted they are selling swim wear again now in February when I don't think I could have bought a swim suite until May back in WA.

We love the outdoors and love to swim so even today with the 80+ degree weather we considered filling up our blow-up pool to get wet and spash around.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasborn View Post
Thanks for your perspective on being new to SA. Living in El Paso (and, also having lived in WA State) I can say El Paso is the same, if not worse than SA. For instance, 75% of the driver's here do NOT have automobile insurance. So, at only 60% in SA, I must say you are a bit better off there than here. We are considering a retirement city (although I still will work) and, this forum, albeit somewhat biased in favor of the city, provides food for thought in our decision making process. By the way, I was born and raised in SA; but, my youthful experience cannot be the driving factor in my return. Sentiment gets you only so far. And, to all those who discourage the candor of this forum's participants, doesn't it do all those who sincerely want to "discuss" various issues, a disservice by retorting with hostility and anger, rather than looking to possible solutions to those less than perfect attributes articulated? The more I read by some of the responders of other's (i.e. newcomers) honest experiences and the hostile/defensive responses, the more I need to question if SA is a place I want to return to.

Your welcome, I think?? Although I do not mean to influence you or anyone elses decision about relocating to SA. Having just moved to SA I thought any potential transplants might be interested in some of the observations we have made since moving here. Unfortunately much of what you read on these forums turns out to be natives defending their city and transplants complaining. We are not expecting any "solutions" to our observations they are just things we didn't anticipate and never really thought about until we experienced it first hand. Natives can be blinded and biased some times and transplant can be too cranky and unwilling to adjust as well, I take everything I read (even the statistics) with a grain of salt and I suggest you do the same.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Who says we are interested in solutions to "observations" another poster has made? I have car insurance (full coverage), I'm quite literate and so is my family, I love the weather, the cost of living is great, I have no desire to visit Sea World in the winter, I have no beef with someone trying to better themselves by selling their wares, customer service is no worse/better here than anywhere I've lived or vacationed, I have no trouble finding my way around town......sheesh, I could go on and on. Why do you have a problem with anyone defending/giving OUR point of view on San Antonio?

Get a grip. And if you have to question whether SA is good enough for you, perhaps it isn't. We'll miss ya', but there will be thousands of other Californians moving in instead of you.
Please feel free to give your point a view, I for one do not believe my perspective is the end all be all about SA. For a transplant it's really all about expectation and trying not to compare "apples to oranges" on everything. SA is a great city and really I have NO complaints or grievences with anything I have posted.... save one that I have not mentioned because it is not an observation as much as it is an opinion.

SA is not the prettiest city and certainly compared to the NW in my opinion it is down right UGLY!

Aside from the lack of beauty and scenery SA has become our home and we LOVE the weather which is the number one reason that we moved here, SA has delivered quite well on that expectation.

Hmmmm.....Maybe I need to start a thread on what a transplant loves about SA, would that cool everyone off?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,219,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post

SA is not the prettiest city and certainly compared to the NW in my opinion it is down right UGLY!
That is pretty harsh isnt it? I don't think I could ever consider SA ugly lol

Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
That is pretty harsh isnt it? I don't think I could ever consider SA ugly lol
Have you been to the NW?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 PM

You just have to acquire a taste for the landscaping! Xeriscaping is actually quite cool. We have some really nice plants that don't need a lot of water. We don't have the mountain scenery or the beaches, but I would not say Texas is ugly.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 PM

And I grew up in San Luis Obispo, CA, one of the prettiest parts of CA. I went to kindergarten and first grade in Cayucos, which is on the way to Cambria, another very beautiful town in CA. So I feel like I can give SA a fair assessment. It's not like I haven't been out of Texas. I've been to Oregon, which is breathtakingly beautiful, I've visited my mother when she lived in Richland, WA, and my ex-in-laws lived in Lewiston, Idaho. Yes, the Northwest is very nice, but so is Texas, IMO.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Yeah...I think most people know how to use a computer at type at least 40wpm or more...atleast in the younger group. I'm 19..20 soon...And I know all my friends and their friends can type quickly and are computer savy...I think the youth of SA is very different from the older. I mean hell when i go downtown with my gf..She even complains about the skyline....And she knows nothing about architecture....I think the youth of SA is very different from the older and help help SA become much more progressive. I myself currently work at a call center (411 directory assistance for cell phones every company besides Cingular) and we have a VERY different mindset of SA and its future....
Some of us "old" people do know about computers. I had my first one back in 1982 and had newer ones all the time. Before that, I used teletype machines in the Air Force. I learned to type on a "manual" typewriter back in 1965.
BTW, the youngest person in our office is almost 30...most are in their 40's, and a few in their 50's.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:57 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,219,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Have you been to the NW?
I have been many places --- even out of this hemisphere... just not the Pacific NW. You just gotta learn to adjust and appreciate the differences everywhere. Yeah -- SA doesnt have mountains (with the exception of Mt St Helotes of course hehe), but it has a unique atmosphere that I think makes it very special. Compared to most cities ive been too -- I think SA is overall kept up (then again I hardly ever venture out of the northside).

I understand that SA isnt for everyone, I don't expect it to be. However, SA/Hill Country is definitely for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio