U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM

2,960 posts, read 8,955,151 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else got the new info on the CPS plan on the Fixed Rate plan vs the Fixed Rate plan for the upcoming year? Says that you can get the energy bought at a fixed rate and they won't charge you the summer premium no matter how much you use for the next 12 months,guaranteed, or you can go with a Flat Rate (not the Budget Plan) this is a Flat Rate, no change or true up, at the end of 12 months. I got the info and was wondering if anyone else out there got it also. Says you got to make your mind up by 11/25
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 PM

3,215 posts, read 7,750,730 times
I did get an email, but I have not looked into it yet...

Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 PM

3,482 posts, read 18,095,343 times
I looked all over the CPS website and can't find anything about a flat rate and or a fixed rate. where do I go look and find out some info?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM

13,806 posts, read 27,087,983 times
I'm interested in this also and did not receive anything in my e-mail or with my e-bill. I use the budget plan and love it, but would also love to have a fixed rate so I can save even more money.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 PM

3,215 posts, read 7,750,730 times
Sign into your CPS account online, then click the "flat rate/ fixed bill" option on the left...this appears:

Now There's Two New Ways to Manage Your Energy Bill!

As a valued customer who receives your energy bill online, you’re eligible for these new pricing options!

Flat Rate
Fixed Bill

Lock your rate for the next twelve months with FLAT RATE billing and take control of your energy bill.
Take control of your energy bill with a FIXED BILL and pay one set price every month for an entire year, with no balance due at year-end.

With the FLAT RATE bill, you lock in one set price for an entire year and avoid the unpleasant surprises of the fluctuating energy market.
With the FIXED BILL, you know exactly how much your energy bill will be for twelve straight months, and there's never a balance due at the end of your billing term.

You control your monthly bill based on your energy use so you can easily see - and adjust - your actual energy use.
FIXED BILL works perfectly with auto-bill pay. Arrange your FIXED BILL and it's paid automatically.

Then you click on the actual rates. They probably vary by account. I need to check my rates, etc., over the last 12 months to see if this makes sense for me.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,528,905 times
^^^ What you said. ;-)

I need to check mine over the last 12 months and compare too. Just looking at this month's bill alone, I'm looking at $30 more. Let me do some figuring and see if it's worth it.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Doing some reading of their FAQ and came across this:

I know someone who might qualify for the Flat Rate program, but didn’t hear about it. Can they sign up? Just have them call CPS Energy at 353-2222 and ask for the “Optional Rates” representative. This offer expires November 25, 2008, and enrollment is limited.

And this: CPS Energy will compare the monthly amounts billed at the Flat Rate with the amounts you would have paid under the applicable standard rate(s). If the sum of the monthly billings at the Flat Rate is less than the amounts calculated under the standard rate(s), CPS Energy will charge your account the difference. (If you paid more on the Flat Rate Program than the standard rate(s), there will not be a credit for the difference.)

Also the rates do not include additional services (such as garbage) and taxes if applicable.

So I did a quick compare of my bill over the last 12 months:
I paid $1945.17 just in electric charges (no gas, this doesn't include garbage fee, etc)
I used 21,580 kWh over the last 12 months.

My offer for the fixed bill is $198/month=$2,376 ($431 more than what I paid in the last 12 months)
My offer for the flat rate is $0.099 per kWh=$2,136.42 ($191 more than what I paid in the last 12 months)

I don't know what the future holds and what the prices will be like over the next 12 months so at this point I'm not sure I'm willing to chance paying them an extra couple hundred dollars a year.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,912,939 times
While it sounds very interesting...I have to wonder....would CPS REALLY offer us a rate CUT if they thought they could make extra $$$ off of us??? Is it that with the cost of oil down to $66 per barrel, that they are trying to ensure they do not lose money themselves so are offering this now????

I just can't help but be a little skeptical when the ONLY game in town trys to make it sound like they are offering you a deal...it doesn't seem to make too much sense. Why would they RISK losing money on it (should prices increase) vs MAKE money off of you if you have to use them as the only option for their service????

Old 11-06-2008, 03:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 27,087,983 times
I don't have that option on mine, but that could be because I'm already in the budget plan. They should give us the option of changing our minds though, especially since they increased my monthly payment by 15% just because the price of electricity might go up. I was within a couple dollars of my annual total from the year before, so it should've stayed the same.
Gotta love other people telling you that you can't manage your own future..

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
While it sounds very interesting...I have to wonder....would CPS REALLY offer us a rate CUT if they thought they could make extra $$$ off of us??? Is it that with the cost of oil down to $66 per barrel, that they are trying to ensure they do not lose money themselves so are offering this now????

I just can't help but be a little skeptical when the ONLY game in town trys to make it sound like they are offering you a deal...it doesn't seem to make too much sense. Why would they RISK losing money on it (should prices increase) vs MAKE money off of you if you have to use them as the only option for their service????
I guess though that's what they're hoping...is that people won't take the time to pull out all their old bills and compare an entire year's worth AND that people won't read the fine print (After all their FAQs do say that if your flat or fixed rate bill ends up being lower than what you would have paid under the standard rate, then they're going to charge you the difference. But if you paid more in this "great" program than under your standard plan, they won't refund you a dime). It would be very tempting to take the offer on a month when your electric bill is pushing $300. And I think that's what they hope for--sort of makes it an .... emotional/impulse buy I guess? I don't know the right word/term for it. I for one will take my chances and just keep my bill as is with paying whatever comes in each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio