Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
I just went to google earth satellite and pulled up my friends ranch and that is definitely his house on the previous page posted by ranchodrive. There are a lot more trees for sure, I can't wait to send him the link he'll be surprised. The entrance gate to the house doesn't sit on Bandera rd (hwy16) it's about 3/4 mile from that highway.
I asked my wife, whose father was the pilot who took the photographer to do
"map surveying" for the land owners. I'm not sure what the details are for doing
this .

Mr. Marion P. Hair pilot @ Stinson Field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,940 times
Default Ranch House

The picture of the ranch house is definitely located on Hwy 16 north approximately 10 miles north of Helotes. I know this because I have lived there since the early 60's. The house was built in 1923.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 AM

216 posts, read 398,899 times
hey rtj001 if you live in that house then I know you. What a surprise I had the other day when I saw it, I gave a general location but I didn't what to mention it's exact location without talking to you first. See ya,RT

Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM

235 posts, read 424,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Hey DP,how's it goin'.Iwas wondering if by chance you have any photos from your collection of WQLF'S INN, and the property before USSA took over since I lived
at 8041,and 8224 Fredricksburg RD from 1967 to 1975.Also,any pic for the intersection of Huebner and Wurzbauch Rd?Sure would appreciate it,Iam working on a project for my kids,part of my bucket list.Thanks ALSOLIZ
hey albert.
i remember Delaney's Ice. i think it was where the shell station now stands at huebner & fred rd. i have no pics of wolfs inn, but i definitely remember it. i used to know a girl back in the late 70's who lived on the old prue road(babcock and NEW prue rd), in a small trailer park right on the road. she had horses, and kept them at a place called Doc's Arena. i have pics of the arena. it was located around the abe lincoln & pembroke area. had an old stone house there with 2 fireplaces. i believe the land was owned by Mr. Luby, who owned Luby's restaurants. but i cannot confirm that. bob luby, the son, lived in the house. he was a drunk. nice guy, but a drunk. lots of good times out there ridin' horses and tellin tall tales...

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 PM

263 posts, read 480,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylpearson View Post
hey albert.
i remember Delaney's Ice. i think it was where the shell station now stands at huebner & fred rd. i have no pics of wolfs inn, but i definitely remember it. i used to know a girl back in the late 70's who lived on the old prue road(babcock and NEW prue rd), in a small trailer park right on the road. she had horses, and kept them at a place called Doc's Arena. i have pics of the arena. it was located around the abe lincoln & pembroke area. had an old stone house there with 2 fireplaces. i believe the land was owned by Mr. Luby, who owned Luby's restaurants. but i cannot confirm that. bob luby, the son, lived in the house. he was a drunk. nice guy, but a drunk. lots of good times out there ridin' horses and tellin tall tales...
Thanks for the responce.DeLaney's was my first job at 14.You mentioned PRUE Rd and Babcock Rd.,do you happen to remember a farmer who had a Red barn on huebner at old Prue rd,who had a barn full of old 1920's,30' car parts? or was did just dream that my father and I went inside and talked to the gentleman who owned the property.That's always been in the back of my mind.And yes I do remember doc's arena,and the small trailer park near the small creek where a large church is now,just before you get to EVERS Rd.Did the DONKEY LADY ever come up?.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
So Marion Hair was my grandfather. How can I see these photos? chager@ ktc.com

Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,081 times
KLRN::Wings Over the Alamo

Saturday Dec 14 @ 10 pm on PBS.
One-hour documentary, tracing the unique history of aviation
in the Alamo City.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 26,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Don't know . But, just found out that the land South Texas Medical Center and Oak Hill's Country Club sits on was once site of the Nix Dairy farm.
Interesting post on the Nix Dairy farm and Oak Hills Country Club SATX56. Trying to fit it in some online research I did recently on the Oak Hills Country Club and found it goes back to probably 1921 when it was the Alamo Country Club. Around 1931, Fred A. “Cap” Tallmadge who owned a few other clubs through the years but one that caught my eye was his "Tallmadge Inn".

Of course back then when giving an address everything outside the city limits was like 7 miles out. Then after finding some directions in an old newspaper - "The property is bounded on the south by Callaghan Rd. and on the west by Babcock Rd." I'm thinking Oak Hills Country Club. Could that be the same place? Yep, that where Oak Hills came from.

Oak Hills Country Club (ca.1955)

Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
We were talking about how the city was laid out....and that it's not on a grid system and very confusing.
Thats funny, can you imagine SA being laid out like Las Vegas or Phoenix or imagine the Riverwalk flowing in a straight line like the Brick Town Canal in OKC.

THAT WOULD BE SO BORING!!!!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:47 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
Default San Antonio Early History

I think Locke Hill was once a community maybe.The Selma part might come from Selma out here in eastern Bexar County.Maybe the road ran from that part of town all the way out to Selma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio