Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:21 AM

276 posts, read 969,833 times

Advertisements

Any ideas how to keep squirrels from damaging the wood on my home? They keep using parts of my house as a scratching post. I am getting tired of repainting every three months!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
This is my solution for those pesky critters!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/CopyofIMG_1754.jpg (broken link)

A
Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-08-2008, 05:19 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Depends on what they are after. this time of year they may be looking for a place to nest and chewing a hole in the wood to get inside. I've put chicken wire over the area. it just needs to be formed into the space and stapled on. they tried to get into the roof overhang around the attic vents. I put chicken wire over the area and they left.
I've also heard to put nuts in your neighbors gutters and they will go over there.
In all seriousness, the chicken wire is the only thing I know of that works. Watch when you put it up that they don't move to a different area of the eves or house. if they do, wire that too. they will give up after a few frustrations of not getting in.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 34,220 times
Default Stop Squirrels from eating your Wood! Here's the answer.

I noticed 50 slices and chunks of cedar being stipped from our 'cook shack' - Charlie had built it himself. It's not small, has a handmade cupboard, light, fan and houses our grills, and is decorated with nautical stuff, which they were also munching on. I read on this site about how to use stuff you have in the house to keep them away. Here's what works because who wants to trap them, like my neighbors or kill them. Not me. The ingredients are all the HOT SAUCES AND PEPPERS you can buy or already have. Chili powder, 32 oz.Texas Pete Hot Sauce liquid so you can mix the rest, Red Pepper, Cayenne Pepper ( it's very fine and they pick it up on their feet! :>) Jalapeno Pepper liquid, anything Extra Hot, etc. Make a nice liquid surprise for them. Get a regular paint brush and paint the area you don't want touched. You can water it down a bit, but not much! In fact, not at all at first. You're sending a message. The sun dried the mixture to a light red tint with pieces of red pepper baking in the sun. It didn't affect the color of the cook shack permanently and the sun also bleaches it out- but it's still there! IT worked!!! I also threw by hand some red pepper & cayenne on top of the cook shack so they'd get it on their little feet and lick it off. Right now, I use nothing because they're just burned up about my tactics.... I power washed the cook shack after a few weeks or whatever and they haven't tried it again..... it's just a bad memory.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This is my solution for those pesky critters!

A
Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle!

Cheers! M2

wouldnt that .50 cal disintegrate the poor little squirrel?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
wouldnt that .50 cal disintegrate the poor little squirrel?
Exactly!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
I'm guessing you're talking about higher up on your house, right? I don't imagine that they'd be messing with it on the ground. If so, cut your trees way back from your roof. That will help prevent them from even getting up there.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:10 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
Hoot Owl: It's not just the repainting problem that exists. They got into the attic at my mom's house and did major damage to some of the wiring, not to mention the holes they put under the eves of the house. Cost a pretty penny to have both the house wiring and the wiring for the alarm system fixed, not to mention fixing the wood damage. The experience gave an all new meaning to the phrase, 'When Mom's not happy, ain't nobody happy!"

M2: Considering how much utter destruction the squirrels did to my mom's house, she would be right out there with you, returning the "favor"!

Nomorepests: I've used the cayenne pepper solution to keep our dogs from chewing the fence or getting into the garden areas I don't want them in. Works wonders.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,165 times
If your a Texan you should resolve the problem by shooting them, or so I have learned.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Squirrels have cost me $1000 before in damages

I don't tolerate them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio